1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BWA Considers CBF

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by rlvaughn, Sep 20, 2002.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

Why shouldn't they? The CBF is a denomination, although they haven't admitted that until very recently.

Rev. G

3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, I find this interesting. It seemed that in the beginning of the CBF that they tried very hard to show they WERE NOT a denomination. Now it seems they are trying equally hard to show that they ARE!

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, I have no dog in this fight.

But the CBF is not a denomination. If it wants recognition as an association of Baptists, fine.

5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do I have a dog in the fight, though if I were a betting man, I would bet that CBF will eventually be received by the BWA because of their separate status and dwindling overlap with the SBC. This attitude does nevertheless represent a change in "approach" for the CBF. I have been receiving their monthly magazine Fellowship for almost as long as it has existed, and I remember that early on their contention was more that the CBF was just an alternate missions resource for "moderate" Southern Baptist people and they had no intention of starting a new "convention." I am not too interested in playing with the words "convention," "association," and "fellowship." What I'm saying is that their desire for recognition by and membership in the BWA reflects a change in attitude about their independent status - a status that some CBF people have been unwilling to admit. Some in the SBC also seem unwilling to admit the distinct status of the CBF, according to THIS ARTICLE.

Steve, I don't think either the SBC or the CBF are denominations in the more common use of the word (Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian), but there is a secondary use of the word that recognizes that groups of Baptists have "independent" status within the broader Baptist "denomination" (ABCUSA, SBC, GARBC, BBFI, etc.). Approaching this as a statistician trying to classify and subdivide Baptists (for recognition and counting purposes), I have up until recently not recognized the CBF as a separate entity. I think it is probably time that they be recognized as an separate Baptist body rather than one operating within the SBC. I would be interested in any reasons anyone may have concerning whether the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship should be counted as a separate and distinct sub-group on the Baptist landscape.

6. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

Time to be recognized. While they are organized as a "fellowship" that "partners" with other organizations, essentially this is a recognizable organization that is more and more seperate and distinct from the SBC. Too many folks consider themselves as "CBF Baptists" and readily identify themselves with the organization for them not to be considered a denomination. Of course, many folks like myself who regularly give to CBF consider themselves merely "Baptists".

7. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

While the CBF is "officially" a "fellowship" and not a denomination, keep in mind that they have all the marks of being a denomination. They have their own offices, publishing house, seminaries, missions-sending group, etc. If that's not a denomination (in reality), then what is?

Rev. G

8. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The CBF doesn't have its own seminaries; it supports some, but it doesn't control them.

The Baptist General Convention of Texas will soon have its own missionary organization. Does it qualify as a denomination? Will it go to the BWA? That would be interesting, because some BCGT churches are involved with both the SBC and CBF.

9. Dr. Brigit

Dr. Brigit New Member

CBF doesn't have a publishing house either.

Part of being baptist is being able to support several national bodies without being defined by any of them. It's a shame we've lost sight of that.

Joshua

10. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

What's the name of the publishing house? If you are thinking of Smyth and Helwys, its a private company owned and operated by Cecil Staton. He's a graduate of Southeastern, by the way.

11. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

You gentlemen like to nitpick quite a bit, don't you? Yes, I'm thinking primarily of Smyth & Helwys. What was the primary reason that Bro. Cecil established his publishing house? To print CBF / "moderate" materials. Of course, Rev. Joshua's alma mater also has supported the CBF with publishing as well (Mercer).

You have obviously never seen the materials coming from out of Waco advertising Truett Seminary. If it isn't CBF, then what qualifies?

Rev. G

[ September 22, 2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Rev. G ]