1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

C.S.A. in South Americia

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Salty, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some time ago, I heard that after the War of Northern Aggresion (Civil War - to you Yankees) that a number of Conferdates fled to South Americia, and their decendents still live there. Was this fact or fiction? Does anybody have valid info :confused:

Thanks,

Salty

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Some historians and descendants of these settlers claim that 9000 left the United States for Brazil. An accurate accounting has never been made. A more conservative estimate would be around 4000"

CONFEDERATES IN BRAZIL

From the Brazilian embassy:

"Emperor Dom Pedro II of Brazil had a lively appreciation for the contributions that science and technology could make to society. He was interested in expanding his country's primary commodities, including making Brazil a major cotton producer. After the defeat of the South in the U.S. Civil War, he invited diehard confederates who had been successful in cultivating the South's cotton to come to Brazil. Between 1867 and 1871, a time when slavery was still legal in Brazil, at least 3,000 Southern confederate families passed through the port of Rio de Janeiro. About 80 percent of the confederates returned to the United States, but one successful settlement - Americana - founded by Colonel William Hutchinson Norris of Mobile, Alabama, remains to this day.

Located 75 miles from the city of São Paulo, Americana today has a population of 250,000. Among the descendants of the confederados (about 10 percent of the population), conversations are often in Southern-accented English. Families, some named Jones, MacKnight and Whitaker, come together for the Fourth of July and other holidays and have a Southern-style barbecue. Rosalyn Carter, wife of former President Jimmy Carter, has relatives buried in the confederate cemetery in Americana. In 1992, President-elect Bill Clinton wrote a letter to the confederados of Americana before he took office in which he recalled that Arkansas was one of the thirteen states that had settlers in Brazil."

BRAZILIAN EMBASSY

3. billwald

billwald New Member

Is their economy and their working class any better off then the rest of SA?

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "War of aggression"?

WHO fired the first shots at Sumter?

WHO attempted to invade Pennsylvania?

who LOST?

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wondered why they called it "Americana"? Why not "New South" or similar?

I have a great-aunt living in Rio & she tells us Brazil is remarkably free of racial or national-origin prejudice, so that's the likely reason they headed there instead of nearby Mexico.

I hope they're happy and that there are Baptists among them in largely-RCC Brazil.

6. Heavy Metal Calvinist

CBS should have got a hold of this bit of history in the 80's- just think, "The Dukes of Brasilia..."

Yeh-hah.

(I'm allowed to do this. I am southern).

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think it's probably true, but after the Enterprise-C returned to its own time through the temporal rift, the timeline was restored, making it impossible to know how many survivors there were.

8. Heavy Metal Calvinist

And Granny still has her confederate cash buried in a mason jar, down by the limbo pole.

9. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

I heard some of these people interviewed once on a TV documentary. They did indeed have Southern accents! It was most interesting.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Baptists abroad: sharing the faith in nineteenth-century Brazil

11. Vasco

Vasco New Member

YES!! this is true!!! there is a town called americana in sao paulo.. i do not live there but i have visited because a friend of mine does.. her family name is jenkis.. the confederate flag and variations of this can be seen around the town and the surnames that are more popular there are : jackson, jefferson, etc.. and yes, that is one of the few places that you can find "southern style" fried chicken.. one of the things i love about brasil is so many immigrants from around the world mixed and adopted a little bit of other cultures and gave a bit of theirs..