1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

C. S. Lewis "Screwtape Letters"

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by KeeperOfMyHome, Aug 31, 2006.

1. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Three of my children are in a homeschool co-op and have to read this book for one of their classes. I decided to read it with them. Good thing. I think the man must not have held beliefs of the Baptist pursuasion. Granted, I really do not know a lot about the man (except that he wrote the Chronicles series); however, I think I'm learning much about his religious beliefs through this book.

Anybody ever read it? Any helpful hints on getting through this book? What are your thoughts on it?

Julia

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

I have always found it to be a great book. True, there are some theological points I differ with, primarily one reference to losing salvation, but all in all it is a very good thought provoking book.

Understand that the intention of the book was to explore the ways sin works in our lives and not necessarily to explain spiritual warfare.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

screwtape letters

Keeperofmyhome, what exactly did you find objectionable? I read the the book probably 20 years ago along with his trilogy series and the Chronicles of Narnia. I do not remember anything specifically in the letters but several things in the Chronicles.

Please refresh our minds and my mind in particular.

thjplgvp

5. KeeperOfMyHome

KeeperOfMyHome New Member

Well, among other things, as Legardo points out above, the book gives the idea that C. S. Lewis believes one can loose his salvation. In fact, it seems to be a recurring theme throughout the book. Screwtape mentions several times that once one of their 'patients' becomes a Christian, it is the duty of the devils/demons to get their souls back from the Enemy (God).

Now, this may not bother you as I have no idea about your beliefs in this area. As for me and my family, we do believe that eternal life is just that, eternal. That's one of the main things jumping out at me at the moment. There are other things, but I don't have the book in front of me at the moment. I'll have to go look again later and let you know what else bothers me about the book.

I will say, though, that some of the topics/themes covered in the book do cause one to pause and consider the sins in their own lives . . . and what how much we allow Satan to influence us.

Julia

6. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Lewis was Anglican, and as such, will have a very different view on some things than most baptists. Lewis was also a professor of literature, so his writing is often very different than what we usually expect out of the Christian book.

Rarely do I find a book I can agree with 100%. I think its great that you are reading this along with your kids. By being this involved, you will teach them to discern what is biblical where many people only take what is offered.

7. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Screwtape letters

I found the satire as I remember it, to be most interesting. I thought the portrayal of the demonic structure of authority, the care that is taken to thwart one believer, the power of prayer and the allowance of God to move us toward him in every day happenings and the general theme that the book demonstrated a very real spiritual battle were all good things.

I am clearly an eternal security believeing Historical Baptist. None-the-less I found the book to be along the lines of Peretti's books of which are filled with pentecostal doctrine. I would encourage you to take your time and explain why you do not agree with the author on losing ones salvation etc. and allow the children to enjoy a great classic.

thjplgvp