1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CA Water Source?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Rolfe, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I still remember a news clip from around 1969. President Nixon was touting the scientific achievment of converting toilet water into drinkable water. He was offered a sample. He replied :"Uh, no thanks."

There are 16,000 desalinization plants around the world. Why isn't California up to speed on this? It's not like they haven't had droughts before. They should have been prepared long ago.

Oh, did you notice Obama playing the other day on some luxuriant green golf course in California?

#2 Rippon, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do people think waste water treatment is?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Precisely. Thank you. It's a most natural process.

5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #5 kyredneck, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2015
  6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    California has 17 desalination plants in the works, either partially constructed or through exploration and planning phases.

The list of locations includes Bay Point, in the Delta, Redwood City, seven in Santa Cruz / Monterey Bay, Cambria, Oceaneo, Redondo Beach, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside and Carlsbad.

Carlsbad: The Carlsbad desalination plant being constructed by Poseidon Resources will be the largest desalination plant in the United States when it goes online in 2016. It is expected to produce 50 million gallons a day to 110,000 customers in San Diego County at an estimated cost of $1b.

Concord: Planned to open in 2020, producing 20 million gallons a day.

Monterey County: Sand City, two miles north of Monterey, with a population of 334, is the only city in California completely supplied with water from a desalination plant.

Santa Barbara: The Charles Meyer Desalination Facility was constructed in Santa Barbara, California, in 1991–92 as a temporary emergency water supply in response to severe drought. While it has a high operating cost, the facility only needs to operate infrequently, allowing Santa Barbara to use its other supplies more extensively.

And a bit of San Diego history (I was a San Diegan for 35 years): In 1962 San Diego had a functioning desalinization plant. During the Cuban missile crisis the federal government confiscated it and sent it to Guantanamo Bay to provide fresh water for the Navy Base there. It now provides fresh water for the Gitmo prison.

8. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The drought seems to be serious. But over and over, you see municipalities watering and allowing water, precious water run down the streets. The other day it was raining and city offices and parks were watering.

Rippon had a great point. Obama did play golf on plush green grass. But that is not so for the serious golf courses which are browning the lawns/courses.

I'm sure this course knew his majesty was due for a visit, and ignored the drought. Just like most of the elites and tax paid for cities are doing. Making the lowly cut back while they play on and waste precious water.

As a Californian we've seen this before. In fact the old saying, " If it's yellow; let it mellow. When it's brown:; flush it down", is once again making an appearance. I'll know this drought is for real when the elite and elected start observing water conservation, too!

As for me, I have reduced consumption by more than half. And that is a good thing. So pray for Cali. We need rain.

9. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have been getting heavy rains almost daily here in Indiana. You can have some of ours--no charge.

California needs to construct some new reservoirs and California needs to quit wasting precious water on experimentation with fish species.