1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Caffeine

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by HankD, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

Well, I'd venture to say that preaching a sermon about "horrors of coffee" would come across as nitpicky and controlling. Caffeine is just like many other things...in moderation, there's not a thing wrong with it. Too much water can be bad for a person. I'll be the first to admit, I drink a little wine every now and then too :eek: and I'll be honest, I enjoy it! I feel no guilt because I don't get drunk, I'm not addicted, and I'm in control of it. Such substances in moderation produce a sence of well being much more than they "control" people. A little stress relief does some people a world of good. My Fathers doctor prescribed him a glass of wine for stress one time. It amazes me at the number of Christians who whine "oh, but its addictive, oh my, you're taking an in an addictive substance, it must be an idol for you" That sounds like a bunch of self righteous zelotry to me...Jesus is much more concerned about our spiritual conditions than he is about us drinking a little wine or coffee.

[ December 02, 2002, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: AdoptedByGod ]

2. Acts 1:8

Acts 1:8 New Member

Wow...I ran out of sugar and splenda (synthetic sugar) today....Not to Fear! Because I watched plenty of Macgyver and Mr Wizard when I was little, I instictivly used some old honey to sweeten my coffee a few moments ago...It tastes magically delicious!

Mr Wizard and Macgyver...I salute you! (even though because of you I developed an unhealthy interest in blowing stuff up as a teenager)

[​IMG]

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Can't stand coffee. It tastes gross. That goes for anything with the coffee flavor like coffee icecream or coffee cookies. But Pepsi, that is the heavenly liquid that will flow out of all drinking fountains when we are in heaven. I love that stuff. I had to cut down though because the empty calories were catching up. Now I try to just drink water but for some reason, it really makes me have to go to the bathroom all the time!!!

4. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Oh, and caffeine doesn't keep me up much, unless I haven't drinken any for awhile (like a couple of weeks to a month). Then I have a couple of sips of coke and I will be awake for nine hours.

5. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

For all my joking about it, I don't abuse caffeine, and I do think that it - as anything - can be abused. I don't even know that I "use" it, per se. I consume it, more because I like coffee and chocolate and some sodas, than for any caffeine boost I get. Which boost is actually pretty small and pretty rare. There have been occasions on which I've gotten jumpy on caffeine, but that's most often been after getting little to no sleep, and I'm never sure whether or not I'm punchy or hopped up on caffeine.

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I get more jumpy on Exedrin than I do on coffee. And chocolate...hand it over and no-one will get hurt. [​IMG]

Since I only drink water and coffee...if I gave up coffee....I would only be drinking water....and all though water is certainly the fountain of youth...I like to drink something with a little kick to it.

It's funny how many people are deadly against coffee...but don't care about colesterol, fat content, or chemicals in their food.

[ December 12, 2002, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just out of curiosity, WisdomSeeker, do you even drink coffee when it is 95 degrees outside?

8. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Java for me cold or hot. Hot outside cold outside and anything in between. Am I enjoying Arkansas, absolutely with a cup in my hand.
    The Good Lord Bless You All.

Thanks ------Bart

Blackbird, come on over for a cup, anytime.

9. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Coffee - Morning, Noon and Night!

Anytime is Coffee Time!

Hot and Black and straight from the Bean. [​IMG]

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Have you ever heard of Ice coffee? I drink coffee every day. If I don't...I get a caffeine withdrawal headache. And I like it in a really big cup...no piddly 8 oz. cups for me...no sir. :D

Current Conditions

As reported at Palmdale, CA
    Last update 12/12/2002 at 12:53 Local Time
    Sunrise 6:50 am
    Sunset 4:42 pm Current Temp: 48° Fair
    Wind: ENE
    Relative Humidity: 30%
    Barometer: 30.18 inches

I drink coffee regardless of weather...I eat ice cream in the winter too...how about you?

[ December 12, 2002, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: WisdomSeeker ]

11. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i eat ice cream all the time. As to coffee, I have never developed a taste for it. On the rare occasions I drink something hot, it is either tea or chocolate.

12. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Venti skim peppermint mocha today.

Venti skim cocoa with caramel sauce (not the syrup, that stuff's just nasty) yesterday.

Venti skim chai on Monday.

On the third day of Starbucks, my wallet said to me . . . you know, all this coffee ain't free!

13. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL @ stubbornkelly [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

14. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I brew Starbucks coffee at home...much cheaper that way. Everytime I see the prices... I think $3.00? I'm not that type of person...I can't just blow the doe...I'm in awe of anyone who can put this kind of expenditure into their budget without wincing...but then I still wash my own car by hand too. It's not that I'm cheap... I just have a hard time spending money without anything left to show for it.

It's called pampering isn't it? I'll have to try that someday...maybe after the kids grow up, finish college and retirement is looming for us.

I was once asked what would I do if suddenly money wasn't an issue...I guess not having much over what I need... It's become part of who I am.

Three days in a row...at Starbucks? Must be nice...You enjoy it now...and I will enjoy it knowing that you are...vicariously. [​IMG]

15. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Three times in one week is relatively rare these days. If I'm just in the mood for plain coffee, I don't really care where I get it. But Starbucks has such yummy concoctions . . . they're hard to resist, particularly when one's right around the corner from my office!

It is a luxury, probably one of my few. I won't always be able to do it (and now that I'm saving for a house, I don't do it as often as I used to!), but it is nice to be young free and single with just a cat to look after. Much cheaper than kids! [​IMG]

16. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member