1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cain's sacrifice

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by menageriekeeper, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is reading into the text something that is not there. There was no law or declaration like this at the time. The killing of animals to provide clothing for Adam and Eve foreshadowed a blood sacrifice but the text does not show that God commanded it for the forgiveness of sin to Cain or Abel.

Hebrews clearly tells us why Cain's offering was rejected -- because it was not done in faith. Hebrews 11 is about those whose faith saved them. I think we should be careful about going beyond what the text tells us.

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...I did it MY way"

Jesus is the Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world. Adam must have known this--Cain and Abel as well--it is the theme of the Bible--Jesus Christ, and Him crucified(He shed His blood)

How would one "picture" this in "type"?--Burning a giant pumpkin? How about letting the blood of an innocent animal?

This is kind of like how we do baptism: God said to "immerse" to picture death, burial and resurrection--which immersion does.

Why do some people "sprinkle"? What part of sprinkle shows death, burial or resurrection?

Just like Cain, we are not authorized to change the typology or pictures prescribed by God. Such is not accepted by God. Re: Cain's sacrifice was rejected.

This made Cain so angry, he killed his brother.

Selah,

Bro. James

3. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I think it was a heart problem. "If thou doest well". If your heart is right. If you do your best withwhat you have been taught by me and your father and mother,if you do what is right you will be happy and I will be happy. "but if not then sin lieth at your door",you know the right thing to do,you know the right way to do it, and you know the right attitude to have.If Cain lacked any of these things (which he obviously did) then it is a sin and not an offering.

That's what I get from the scripture there.I don't see where they are instructed as to what kind of an offering it was to be,we don't know but I'll bet they did.I don't see anywhere at this point where fruit of the ground was considered acceptable or unacceptable (can't be dogmatic).

So I think it was a heart problem with Cain,obedience & attitude.

4. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cain disobeyed God--his sacrifice was not as proscribed. Kind of like "our works" are filthy rags to God.

Selah,

Bro. James