1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calif to consider soda tax to closed budge

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh good grief. The nanny state doesn't approve of us drinking soda, so they're going to tax it. Fine, tax it, but DON"T MESS with my chocolate!

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it can be manufactured or used it can be taxed.

I believe it was Michael Faraday who when being questioned about electricity before Parliament said, "I do not know what we will be able to do with electricity, but I predict that in 100 years you will tax it."

4. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

#4 Eric B, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  5. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

They're going to have to tax fine-dining soon too, because the food that you get in those places is horribly bad for you in most cases. I'm not a soda-drinker any longer, so I don't care if they tax it more or not, although I do think it's over the top.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It won't fly. Californians were so outraged at last year's tax increases that they revolted with numerous petition and recall drives. This year's budget contained no tax increases. Any such tax increase in future budgets would be met with serious reactions from the voting public. Analysts are expecting a shift to the right in Sacramento during the next election, as a result of the current budget fiasco.

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

For those who want to continue to praise our current federal government just look to the state of California as a fine example of where we are headed. Here in Alabama my lawnmower(Craftsman push mower) is just fine. But, in the great nanny state of California it is known to contain chemicals that can cause cancer. Here in Alabama we rub oil in excessive amounts on our bodies. We may get it on our hands from time to time but we wash it off pretty quickly. Nor do we sip gasoline. We are smart enough not to do that and our state government gives us the benefit of the doubt. But, in California, the government doesn't consider her citizens smart enough to know about the potential danger of their lawn mowers and must warn them about the harmful affects of the misuse of oil and gasoline. And, the people in California wonder why their state is going down the toilet which such idiots in charge. Government: Got to love it's desire to be our mommy and our daddy.

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last new lawn mower I bought had a sticker on it informing me that it was dangerous to pick up the running mower and trim hedges with it. Apparently some idiot did and hurt himself.

9. alatide

alatide New Member

What is the condition of California's economy right now? No new taxes but a state in bankruptcy. Do you consider thnat to be good?

10. targus

targus New Member

And you don't attibute excessive spending to be a contribution to the financial condition of California?

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The state's not in bankruptcy. Not sure where you got yoru info. Frankly, I wish the state WOULD declare itself to be insolvent. It would then have the power to renegotiate its contracts with the Teachers and Prison Guards Unions. Those two unions are singlehandedly responsible for a huge portion of state overspending. Our teachers are among the highest paid, but the students are among the lowest performing. Education spending has nearly doubled in the last 8 years, many times the rate of inflation. And here's the kicker. School districts continue to demand more mnoey every year, and refuse to lay off teachers, even though there has been a decline in enrollment in the last two years overall.

#11 Johnv, Oct 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2009