1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Call" in NT

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bismarck, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

I just realized that there are several (slightly) different Greek words in the NT for "call". They are related, and the differences appear to be superficial, like abbreviations and "conjugations" and "declensions" w/ various different suffixes. Or something along those lines.

However, the net effect is that the following three Strong's Numbers are all essentially the same Greek word. You must, therefore, do at least three parallel Strong's searches when making doctrinal arguments about "Calling" in Christian theology:

kletos (G2822)
    klesis (G2821)
    kaleo (G2564)

The following are also related:

keleuo (G2753)
    keleusma (G2752)

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Um, okay.

This is all Greek to me, so it would help if you would translate into English. It would also be helpful to know where you're going with this.

3. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

Matt 16:18
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church (ekklesia, G1577); and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

NOW, ekklesia (G1577) is a compound of the Greek prefix "ex, ek" and the Greek word "kaleo" (G2564).

IOW, ekklesia = ex + kaleo = out + called = "called out".

I also need to add that the word "build" comes from the Greek verb oikodomeo (G3618) which means "build a house".

The Messiah will build the house of his ekklesia upon the rock of St. Peter. This means that the Messiah will build the house of his "called out" ones.

Interestingly, we also read, "many are called, but few are chosen" (Matt 20:16, 22:14). The word "called" here is essentially the same as the "called" of ekklesia.

Could this possibly indicate that not every member of the church (ekklesia) will be chosen? Is this what John Calvin meant when he talked about the "visible church" (ekklesia, those called out) and the true "invisible church" of the true elect (those not only called out, but chosen)?

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

It might be if there was such a thing as the "invisible" church. If there is such entity, it is so invisible as to be useless. And it is a most ineffective, divided, dysfunctional entity. It is a massive failure in carrying out the Great Commission.

Next point: An examination of the scriptures will shot two kinds of calls. One, a general call to all who hear the word of God which is always ineffective; and an inward call initiated by the Holy Spirit through the preached or written word. The Inward Call is always effective. That's why believers are often referred to as "the called." Romans 8:28-29.

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

I think that in different contexts, the word means different things.

Paul uses "called" as a near synonym for chosen. For instance, see 1 Corinthians 1:23-24 and compare with verse 18. Sometimes he uses it as a near synonym for saved, like in 1 Corinthians 7. Sometimes he uses it as a near synonym for appointed, as in 1 Corinthians 1:1.

But of course in the quote from Matthew, "many are called, but few are chosen" it can't mean any of those things.