1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Called

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by TheOliveBranch, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    2564 kaleo (kal-eh'-o);
    akin to the base of 2753; to "call" (properly, aloud, but used in a variety of applications, dir. or otherwise):
    KJV-- bid, call (forth), (whose, whose sur-) name (was [called]).

2753 keleuo (kel-yoo'-o);
    from a primary kello (to urge on); "hail"; to incite by word, i.e. order:
    KJV-- bid, (at, give) command (-ment).

I think we make a big deal over it as well. We are all called to be saints and we are all to do the work of the ministry so we are all called to some kind of service befitting the gifts He has given. We are called to walk worhty of our vocation. The word call is used about a lot of things.

When a man is called into the ministry, it is more like the definition of keleuo in that he is then given the command to start exercising his gift. Paul did not start his ministry until he had spent three years in the wilderness but he was called to be an apostle when he was saved. If a man is to be a pastor/evangelist/missionary or whatever he is given those gifts at salvation. The Holy Spirit will then call him out to fully use them when God has the man ready to start using them.

I surrendered to preach when my pastor wondered where are the men to pastor the 121 churches in our fellowship without one. I told the Lord I was willing and surrendered. I then went off to Bible College and I have been ordained and many have affirmed my gifts over the years. Did I have a vision, warm feelings, just a desire or did God use my willing heart or make my heart willing to respond to that invitation? I guess you could say I did have a "vision" of me preaching behind a pulpit once when I was desperate to get an answer from God. That night when I told an older saint about my struggles, he said that God had something great for me to do. I have tried to walk away because of some of the trials, struggles and failures that I have experienced, but I cannot. Am I called or just bullheaded? Ordination councils are really just to confirm that the gifts are evident in a man for the ministry. So, if they are on their toes they will only ordain men called and gifted of God.

God makes you aware of your gift and callings and tells you to get with it. How He does it is His business. What are you called to do?

2. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

THANK YOU Maverick for your testimony !!

May God bless you and yours and your ministry.
    Your testimony was helpful to me.

3. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you James and blessings unto you as well! Remember, if you are really called your ministry may be more like Isaiah's than Billy Graham's. Most men f God are trench fighters and not the ones that folks flock to hear. Many men will get greater rewards the Billy though the world has never heard of them. Be faithful where ever you are serving be that to two or two thousand. Discouragement usually comes because we expect to use us to build large churches when He will most likely give us smaller flocks that we can truly serve and love. Again, blessings as you seek His will!