1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calling All Greek Scholars

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Pastor_Bob, May 19, 2003.

1. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    While preparing for an upcoming message on the Judgment Seat of Christ, I ran across a book in which the author ascribes the Greek word “ phaulos ” to the word “bad” in II Corinthians 5:10. He was trying to illustrate that the word “bad” as used by Paul in referring to the Judgment Seat of Christ is not the normal usage of the word “bad.”

He makes a great point but I cannot see where he is correct in his assertion. I cannot find the Greek word phaulos anywhere in the New Testament translated as "bad." The three words I do find for the English word “bad” are: kakos , poneros , and sapros .

Here is the excerpt from the book in question:
    Perhaps my Greek resources are too limited but I cannot find anything to substantiate this claim. I do not want to teach something just because it supports my beliefs if I cannot back it up with Scripture. Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

[ May 19, 2003, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Pastor/Bob ]

2. russell55

russell55 New Member

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In what Greek NT? My MT and Stephanos 1555 both have kakos in the passage under discussion.

4. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks russell55. You helped me find the Greek word phaulos. I found it in John 3:20 & 5:29, Titus 2:8, and James 3:16.

In Romans 9:11 and II Corinthians 5:10, I find the word kakos. I am trying to figure out if the word in II Cor. 5:10 is kakos or phaulos. All the evidence I have leans toward kakos.

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

UBS. I quickly checked at blueletterbible and it has kakos, so I suppose it is a textual variant, although my NT does not list a variant there.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

According to BW5, the UBS3/4 and NA27 has phaulon, RP MajT and Scr has kakon. The UBS editors do not even list it as a variant, apparently indicating the evidence for kakon is very little and unsustantial. I would be curious to see what the NA apparatus says.

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nestle Aland (1971) has a variant for 2 Corinthians 5:10.

The UBS simply went with "phaulos" (apparently Aleph) without any documentation?

Scrivener 1894/5 , Robinson-Pierpont MT 1995, Stephanus 1550 have "kakos"

Wescott and Hort NT, Tischendorf NT have "phalous"

"kakon" : P46, B, Family (E,F,G,H,S,V,Y,OMEGA) meisten minuskeln, D, G

"phaulos" Aleph?

HankD

8. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Looking in Barnett (NICNT), phaulon's support is: Aleph, C 048, 0243, 33 81 326 365 630 1739.

Kakon is supported by p46 B D F G Psi.

9. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Pastor Bob,

I have the NASB - NIV Parallel New Testament in Greek and English, which uses the word phaulon in 2 Corinthians 5:10 and is translated as worthless.

Hope this is of help,

Blessings