1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Cals, What does God really intend?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Jul 31, 2012.

1. A Faithful Sidekick

A Faithful Sidekick New Member

To the contrary, the Reformers counted contingent second causes as part of God's eternal decree.

From the Westminster Confession of Faith:

Whether necessarily (laws of nature), freely (the choice of second causes), or contingently (if / then), all things come to pass immutably and infallibly according to the Reformers ("Calvinists," if you must).

Of course we make choices and are in no way forced to do so. No one forced the Jews to have Jesus arrested and crucified. They did so freely. Yet it was all part of the Plan that was ordained "before the foundation of the world." Every act of every creature is not only foreknown, but foreordained according to Calvinism.

Oh, and my apologies for quoting the Westminster Confession rather than the London Baptist Confession - I'm still "in transition," a questioning Presbyterian giving Baptist theology a hard look. :flower:

-Robin

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think that's possible, that He created a world in which I have a choice to make about whether to help my wife with the dishes or berate her for not doing them...he knows all the options I have before me, and what actions he might take as a result of each of my choices...BUT I would say he also knows which choice I will make.

So... If Lucifer & Eve do not rebel, God's plan in that scenario still leads to his desired end? What about the opposite? ALL the angels rebel, all the people rebel, and no person EVER turns to God of their own choice? This possibility also does not jeapardize God's eternal plan?

If God knows all, how is it that you are not saying he knows what our future free choices will be?

I would agree with this.

...and this

The difficiency of not knowing all things, which I believe the bible teaches he does.

-I agree. Everybody will admit God COULD create beings that he controls completely that have no freedom of choice whatsoever...the question is what DID he create? On the flip side, Some Calvinists might argue that God WOULD NOT, maybe even COULD not create creatures with totally free wills because that would be considered something against his character (soveriegn), akin to becoming less sovereign, and would therefore be as unheard of as God breaking a promise (another thing that would go against his character).

3. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That may be a scenario which is, not, in fact, possible or in some parlance feasible for God to create and still remain true to his desired purpose. No such potential World may exist.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not accuse Calvinists of doing something, misinterpreting scripture, that is different from what others do which is also misinterpret scripture.

What I said is "everything" in context is the intended meaning of everything. If I say I took everything out of the room, it does not mean I took the light or air or volume out of the room, but simply the furnishing, i.e. chairs, pictures, bed, etc.

Our difference is that I believe I use the same rules everywhere. I do not apply an "out of context" meaning to alter the message. But I believe Calvinism does not apply consistent rules, it picks and chooses to misrepresent the contextual message.

For example in John 12:32, "all" does not mean every imaginable person that every lived. No, the idea is those who behold, i.e. understand that Christ died for them, will be drawn. Faith comes from hearing, so "all" is qualified by the context. This is the Calvinist understanding.

However in another verse "everything" means everything imaginable, rather that accepting the contextual limits. In 1 John 3:20 God knows all things, i.e. what is hidden in our heart that condemns us. This would apply the same rule of interpretation that Calvinism use in John 12:32.

However if you rip the snippet out of context, you can claim scripture says God knows everything imaginable. Perhaps He does, but you cannot support that premise contextually from 1 John 3:20.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What your WCF quote says is that God's foreknowledge determines what happens, even though it appears to be caused by necessity, or the free choice of people, or a contingent action. Thus it says the opposite of what you seem to claim it says.

Bottom line, Calvinism says God directs and foreordains the actions we seem to choose, thus nullifying the meaning of choice and of if/then covenants because God has ordained what we will "freely" choose.

6. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I see what you are saying, and you are identifying the point that was so difficult for me to grab hold of without it slipping through my fingers. If we say something is possible then it may or may not obtain, and that is the true state of the possibility. When it becomes the case that it will obtain, then that is the event's true state and at such point it is no longer a possibility. If God knows event E as a possibility then that is it's true state. If God were to know event E as a certainty then that is it's true state, but never would we say that a possibility is a certainty. Once a possibility becomes a certainty then it no longer is a possibility. So, if God makes something a possibility He therefore knows it as a possibility, and that to his credit. If He made something a possibility but then knew it as a certainty He would be deceiving Himself and this He can not do. So, if something is a possibility from His perspective then so it it. On the other had, if He made something to be a certainty, then it cannot be the case that it is a possibility. If all things are known as certainties to God, then there can not be any ontological possibilities. It must necessarily be the case then that God creates no possibilities and anything that we may consider as a possibility is simply an illusion, an amazingly convincing illusion.

If God creates something as a possibility then that is what it is. He knows it as such and for that He should not be shamed by finite man who's need for certainty must be projected on God.

I too came up with all kinds of scenarios in which God's predeterminations would be overthrown. It took a while for all of this to seem at least internally coherent. Notice what I said though,

(1) that none of the possibilities He allows to exist put in jeopardy God's desired final outcome.

If the possibility of thwarting God's predetermination was to theoretically exist then it would not be allowed. This agrees with the sentiment of HoS's comment above. That should satisfy the question. Let me know if not and we can discuss more.

In response to the following:
    (2) God knows all that is to be known about this project, therefore He knows reality as it is and is never of a false belief on the matter.

(3) In this world, He would know all of the events' possibilities and it would never be the case that there were any possibilities for which He was unaware of their existence. And,
    you said:
    If God knows all, and it is His plan that possibilities exist, then it is the case he is more than familiar with all of the possibilities. We, of course, cannot choose to do anything that is not a possibility. So, to say that, to his shame, He doesn't know what we will do is to assume a different premise than this thought experiment's premise: why should He know something to 'be' when it 'is not'? Now, that would be to his shame. (law of noncontradiction) In this thought experiment, since what I may choose to do is known to God as a possibility then my choice does not yet exist in order to be known. When my choice does come into existence then yes, He knows. What kind of world did He make? Did He make a world that contains possibilities? If He knows the certainty of it's obtaining then how can it be described as a possibility?

Continuing... I said:
    Imagining, again for sake of argument, the above world, of what difficiency can God be accused?
    Yes, I agree, He knows all things and the Bible teaches such. "Omniscience" makes for a nice descriptor that we can all say we agree with. But what do you/we mean when we say that? Surely we don't mean to say that God does not know something to be what it is not. Does He know the DNA of unicorns? Does he know the marital status of a married bachelor? We know the answer to these questions. For the same reason, in this thought experiment, God cannot be accused of a difficiency and it is such that in this world He knows all.

I agree and think that a little closer analysis of the greek ideas of "omni" and "the good" and "perfection" will show that they are illogical and not praiseworthy. Plato and neoplatonism did much harm to theology.

#26 humblethinker, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  7. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Brilliant!

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    is your question: How can God be creative and all knowing in absolute sense?

Answer BECAUSE He is God!

9. A Faithful Sidekick

A Faithful Sidekick New Member

Okay then, here's a question I sincerely want non-Calvinists to answer:

If Almighty God foreknows that something terrible and evil is about to happen, is there any chance that it won't?

If the answer is yes, then He has no true foreknowledge. He foresaw only a possibility, but didn't know the outcome in advance. A yes answer denies His foreknowledge.

If the answer is no, then it must be that God chose not to intervene in order to prevent the evil calamity.

This is one of the reasons I lean towards Calvinism. It exalts God as all-knowing and all-sovereign, having chosen all that comes to pass, not just according to His foreknowledge, but according to His eternal purpose. The universe is unfolding exactly the way its Creator intended. Otherwise He is not Lord, He is not Almighty, nor is He all-knowing.

I find that what semi-Pelagians and Arminians object to is not so much the doctrine of "particular (limited) atonement" as it is the doctrine of "total depravity." It is the idea that sinners are helpless and incapable of faith. But isn't faith the "that" thing being referred to in Ephesians 2: 8?

By grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves...

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :applause::applause::applause:

11. humblethinker

"He foresaw only a possibility, but didn't know the outcome in advance." This is akin to blaming Him for not knowing the DNA of a unicorn. If He knows the DNA of a unicorn then it MUST be the case that it exists. This would mean that God knows that a nonexistent thing exists. An ontological possibility is an event whose certain outcome does not exist. There is no fault to be found for not knowing what does not exist, rather such a state of mind is to be credited.

Do you think God can create a possibility? If yes then do you think God can appreciate it for what it is? I don't see how you could answer 'yes' to either question. But, if you do, I would really like to hear your reasoning.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WHY does he need to creat even though a possibility? Does he require to have that in order to be fully God?

Wsa the Cross of Christ a future event "fixed" into real time to come by Sovereign God, or could jesus have been killed off early, died at birth, refused the Cross etc?

13. humblethinker

I don't quite understand why you frame the question as though "he need"s to do anything. I don't understand your second question either. If God is God I don't think it can be the case that he needs to do anything to still be God. Maybe you could rephrase the questions?

I'll take a stab at an answer though... Let's try and imagine that God DID create a world where many possibilities existed and many certainties existed (ie. the world I referred to above in our thought experiment). In what ways would we expect that world to appear to be different than this world? If one is of the belief that everything in our world was predetermined wouldn't one have to admit that God has at least created our world such that it appears to us there are possibilities and that God seems to encourage us to think that possibilities exist ontologically? If all is predetermined or pre-ordained then is not our perception of possibility just an illusion?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doesn't the fact of God being perfect in all that He does mean that this was ONLY way could have created it anyways? As he would have made it per His Will, according to what is the best way?

15. humblethinker

I don't believe that a perfect person is the same as a perfect form. This is platonic/neoplatonic idea. We would consider a perfect person as one that is responsive to other people, in a genuine fashion. If the idea of 'perfect form' is applied to every aspect of God then He would be a supernatural form of an idol which never changes in any respect and any change perceived from an outsider would simply be the world changing in respect to it. This is not Biblical. So, I don't think we can say that God had to create only one exact world, which is the world we are in. For similar reasons I reject the idea of 'best' as being relevant.

16. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

#36 HeirofSalvation, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
  17. humblethinker

HoS,
    My understanding is that the "that" is referring to salvation and not faith.
    http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/reformed/godgift.htm Check out that link. They seem to give a very good explanation about the issue.

18. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Oh....criminy...yes, that is always how I took it to mean. I had not quite grasped what Sidekick's intent was with that particular question. I guess I kind of just thought he was randomly throwing in a "proof-text" and surrounded it with a rather awkward sentence :type: in order to create a purpose for having placed it there. :laugh: I had no idea he was trying to convey that "That" was referring to "Faith" and not "Salvation"...Well, now his particular choice in diction makes more sense....:thumbsup:
    I had never even heard of the idea of defining the "gift" as being faith....Interesting little quandry. I guess my immediate answer would be...no, it's salvation, not faith....But I don't think I've ever even thought twice about that before.

19. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Hos, that seems to actually be the common interpretation of those on bb holding to total depravity. Hence the frequent arguments over man having capacity for faith on his own, or if it must be granted by God individually. I

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Just was asking if you hold to the cross of Christ to have been a "fixed" event in history by God, in that he already knew what/when jesus would die, as his death HAD to happen, in order for God to save and redeem sinners?