1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvary Chapel Churches

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thermodynamics, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Thermodynamics

There is a Calvary Chapel owned radio station in my area that I listen to a bit. I am wondering how they differ from Baptists? To me it sounds like they may place a little more faith in the "gifts of the Spirit" than we do, but other than that is there anything you can tell me?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "You know the beautiful thing about being called Calvary Chapel? People don't know where you really stand." ---Chuck Smith

"...concerning the ministry of the Holy Spirit. We don't take a typical Pentecostal view, nor do we take a typical Baptist view. The minute you set your position one way or the other, you've lost half of your congregation. Why would you want to lose half your congregation?" ---Chuck Smith

"When you're marketing something, you want the largest market appeal possible." ---Chuck Smith

Calvary Chapel Distinctives: The Foundational Principles of the Calvary Chapel Movement, by Chuck Smith

#2 Jerome, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009
  3. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Actually, it sounds like a pretty good attitude with the Calvary Chapel quotes.

Sometimes some pentecostals go way to far regarding the gifts of the Spirit, while at the same time I believe we Baptists are in error for usually rejecting them completely as not being for today.

Looks like the Calvary Chapels have a balanced approach. :thumbs:

However, I dont like the "dont want to lose half of your congregation" comment.

We should do what we believe God wants us to do, paying not attention to who might leave.

:godisgood:

4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who is "we", the government? :tongue3:

5. brucebaptist

brucebaptist New Member

6. JRG39402

JRG39402 New Member

From what I've heard, Calvary Chapel's seem pretty legit, but I also hear it depends on the one you go to.

Also, I believe Ray Comfort from The Way of the Master used to be a Calvary Chapel minister. He also seems to have a special website just for Calvary chapel at http://www.calvarychapelfreegift.com/

#6 JRG39402, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009