1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvary Chapel

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Oct 19, 2006.

1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What do you think about the Calvary Chapel movement? I have several friends that attend their churches and have heard different things about them.

2. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure whether they are the same as Calvary Baptist or not. Calvary Baptists were very much faithful with Bible teachings.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Calvary Chapel is charismatic but on the lighter side. They don't push gifts but do expository preaching and some topical. They don't believe in woman pastors or preachers but will allow a woman to teach in church so long as her pastor (and if married) or husband is there so she will be under authority and if she is incorrect can be corrected by that same authority.

They believe much the same as baptists and if you went into their church about the only real difference you will notice is the music - more contempory but not what I would consider rock.

4. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Speaking as a Lutheran they are no different from any of the 1000's of methobapticostals churches already in America.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Which Calvary Chapel . . .

There is a Calvary chapel started by chuck smith http://www.calvarychapel.com/.

While they are often called charismatic - I have never seen any evidences of that theology. Not sure why . . . but, my cousins go there and I asked about that and they looked at me like I was crazy . . .

I think that the reason for calling them Charismatic is that Chuck used to be Four Square (Aimee Simple Mcpherson - did I get the right evangelist . . . I am not good on all the other denoms - started that denom)

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

As I am aware Calvary Chapel was formed out of the 1960's Jesus Movement. If you phone the local church, they would most likely be more than happy to send you out a copy of their book "Calvary Chapel Distinctives".

Calvary are not Charasmatic to my knowledge, yet they are not Cessationist either.

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Maybe it is to each church their own.

I listen to the Calvery Chapel radio program and like to specifically listen to "To Every Man an Answer". It is a talk program wher listeners call in live and ask questions to a at least 2 to 4 pastors/guests and they state consistantly their churches believe (at least in their state) in tongues, slain in the Spirit. But as I stated it is not out for everyone to see as a show. You wouldn't really notice much difference in them and a baptist contemporary Church