1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism: amusement or heresey

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by MichaelGene52, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelGene52

MichaelGene52 New Member

Should Calvinism be tolerated within the Baptist faith as an amusement to debate (an irritant to be tolerated), or should it be banned from the Baptist faith as a false doctrine?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Goodness, way to start out with a bang :rolleyes:

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Be careful.
    Is this a topic purposely started to create dissension? Baptists have been historically Calvinistic even though you may think that position is wrong. William Carey was opposed to going to India by the Baptists of his day because of his Calvinistic Baptist brethren. He was told that if God wanted to save India he would do so in His own good time without the help of Carey.
    Thankfully Carey went in spite of the objections of his contemporaries.
    DHK

#3 DHK, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2006
  4. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Sad reflection on biblical theology

What a truly sad thread to start, knowing all the vitriolic comments that will likely be made. Also very sad that some had rather attack doctrine than seriously investigate its claims.

Spurgeon said 'Calvinism' is a nickname for biblical doctrine!
    There exists no more sound, God honoring doctrines on earth than Calvinism yet many are so full of hatred for what is truly biblical it reminds one of how Christ was treated for promoting truth!

Some had rather stir up flames and hatred than to show Gods scriptural truth and examine the word to see how clearly it is substantiated there!

When I look at churches to day that are so seeker sensitive, feel good motivational talks, entertainment based and full of worldly themes and music, sand castles, motorcycle tricks and other shenanigans to entice, appease and entertain people I shudder and wonder what our Lord must think of it all! It makes me so grateful to Him for bringing me to a church where the word is treated and holy and preached verse by verse in such a clear way and that families there sit with their children having open bibles taking notes and truly enrapt with hearing God's word in its fullness shared!

I am truly sorry for those who feel Calvinism is other than it truly is and that ii is acceptable to attack God's word and treat it lightly!

God have mercy!!

#4 2BHizown, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Salamander

Salamander New Member

There's still hope for the "Baptist"/ Presbyterian yet.:praying:

:praise: :Fish: :praise:

6. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hi Michael,

I think what is funny is some lack of knowing Baptist history. As it turns out in the beginning of the Baptist faith nearly all were Calvinist. Below you will find a link to help you on your way to a good little education. After you read this, why not get back with us and tell us what it says. :)

http://www.creeds.net/baptists/1689/original/1689bc.html

Oh yes..one more thing. Being that we are talking about banning groups, and now that you know of your wrongful ways, are there any other groups you feel that have slipped from the Baptist doctrines that are part of known history and not just a madeup thought on your part, which you want to ban?

Lets us knew about that one too...will ya? :)

In Christ...James

#6 Jarthur001, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

BTW Michael,

Welcome to the Baptist Board. :cool: :cool:

In Christ...James

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Paige Patterson and Albert Mohler held their discussion/debate on Calvinism at the SBC Pastor's Conference. Their dialogue set the example for us all, how to debate this issue with strongly-held opinions, but in a true Christian spirit.

For a transcript go to

www.purechurch.blogspot.com

9. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sad, but typical. Someday you will probably get your wish and the SBC will split over this non-essential and the mission field will be the loser. But hey, at least you got rid of people like me, right?

What is truly sad, I am afraid. is there really are those in the SBC who have your mind set. I would expect it from someone with no knowledge of history as yourself, but not from educated pastors from within the SBC.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/
    At five o'clock Rachelle and I went to the Pastor's Conference at the Greensboro Coliseum. We registered as messengers and went into the arena for the start of the Pastor's Conference. The first speaker really turned me off with a diatribe against people who believe God elected a certain number of people to go to heaven. He said that the number of people who will get to heaven will increase and surprise even God Himself if God's people were simply more faithful.

Sad indeed.

10. MichaelGene52

MichaelGene52 New Member

Any time you would like to compare history knowledge, let me know. As your post points out so loudly, all you have are opinions on the subject, unbiblical at that.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

What round is this? I think I lost track. :wavey:

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Hi Michael,

Being that your BOLD OP has been shot down with the real facts, it would seem you have nothing else to say. I do not claim to know much, but I do know my history fairly well. Do I know it better then you? I have no idea. I do not know your field of studies. However, I do know mine. If you would like to take up this matter, start a tread and send me a PM and I'll try to address you the best that I can.

It is clear you have nothing more to say on this tread.

Please post one thing on this tread I have said that is unbiblical and I will gladly take it back.

I'll take that back....let me restate this.

Show me one thing that ANYONE has said ..not just me...that is unbiblical other then your post.:cool:

Deal? Are you up to the task?:cool:

13. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

:saint: :saint: :saint:

14. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree be with the warning. By the way William Carey was a five-point Calvinist as was Fuller. The story that is told concenering Carey being called and ecentric and that God would save India in His own good time is disputed by the son of the man who supposedly said it. In other words, it may not be factual at all.

15. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Considering that the majority of Baptists have until the past century been Calvinist indicates that it should not only be tolerated, but be considered.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Really now, you shouldn't think so little of yourself.:rolleyes:

17. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

His profile says it all:

MichaelGene52
    Interests:
    stopping Calvinism

farmer

1. He proves the point non-calvinist are more obsessed with calvinism that calvinist are.

2. His field of study is apparent from his occupation. He is very good at spreading his "fertilizer" on message boards.

3. He scolds one for not using scripture, yet has provided none himself. Interesting tactic.

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder if we might have someone that's drifted over from the now defunct baptistfire.com forum. He sounds like one of them.

19. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

:laugh: ...... :thumbs:

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One person's hyper position "proves a point"? I'm a non calvinist, and I am not obsessed with calvinism, as I don't have avatars with the calvi big wigs, calvinist screen names (rippon, calvibaptist, etc.), and I don't see anyone who is a non calvinist with an arminian preacher as an avatar, or names like armibaptist, Hunt, or freewillian. If you are going to make outlandish claims, at least be accurate.

Having said that, as much as I don't agree with TULIP, this individual's "Interests" are sad.:tear: We should not be occupied with "stopping calvinism", but spreading God's truth to the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.