1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism and Fundamentalism?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Rhetorician, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I guess only Calvinists are allowed to use the term "ignorant."

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with the term "Ignorant." I am ignorant about quantum physics, nuclear engineering, the Mandarin language, and everything having to do with the finer points of cheese.

Ignorance is not an insulting word if used properly. Just like imbecile can be used as a technical term, not as an insult.

No, I'm bristling at the "Maybe when you grow up..." comment. That is what is uncalled for. I would say the same thing to Luke if I were aware of a similar comment.

Besides, all this comes as a result of a discussion over Fred Phelps?! C'mon! This guy hardly qualifies as a baptist and his actions, frankly, suggest that he is not a Christian in the first place. Just because he claims to be a Calvinist doesn't make him an orthodox Calvinist, which he clearly is not.

Why must you find the most ridiculous, extreme example of Calvinists (who are really no Calvinists at all) and then set them up as a pinata? I'm afraid you are fighting the caricature rather than the real picture.

Blessings,

The Archangel

3. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

There seem to be those here who - when seeing the "C" word used - degenerate into a bristling spitting keyboard warrior.

We really should not check our hearts and common sense at the computer room door. There is a place for them while the computer is in use.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Another Excellent Observation. Oh, but how easy it is to be degenerate.

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

6. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

How many people did these men have burned at the stake?

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you please try and make an occasional edifying comment and stick with the subject of a given OP Robert?

Can you at the very least acknowledge that Calvinism teaches the fundamentals of the faith?

#67 Rippon, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2011
  8. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Yes, Calvinism does teach important fundamental doctrines. Martin Luther is very much in the forefront of returning the church to a biblical understanding of justification by faith.

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inaccurate question. Your question should be: If burning people at the stake were still permissable, how many would they burn?

10. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I have listened to several of these preachers many years ago, I even knew some of them personally. I don't think they would burn anyone at the stake.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And as is well-documented --Calvin did not want anyone burnt at the stake.

12. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I guess it depends on who you believe.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the ones who were there on the scene at the time such as Calvin himself. The latter was recriminated by his friends as being too soft for objecting to death by fire. You really ought to crack open a legitimate Church History book now and then Robert --stop depending on scurrilous Calvin-bashing hack websites for your info.

14. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Why don't we just ask those accused of murder if they committed the act, and if they say they didn't, just let them go! :laugh: :laugh:

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

King David stole a man's wife and then arranged for him to be killed...I'm going to stop reading the Psalms...

16. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

That is because God wrote the Psalms, not David.

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:smilewinkgrin:

I better stop reading the OT, Moses was a murderer! Paul was also perhaps a murderer? Oh no, no more of his epistles! Wait, David murdered too. And Jacob was a deceitful person.

Oh, nevermind, that is all God has to use is sinful men (and women.)

I suppose the ones throwing stones at calvin and calvinists (for unfounded reasons) are without sin.

18. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You've missed the point entirely, which I cannot say is a rarity for you. By the way, David wrote the Psalms via theos-pneustos.

That you've used who authored the Psalms as some sort of argument (which proves nothing nor does it fit into this conversation) shows how far off you've missed the point.

Let's only read writings of non-sinners, shall we?

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No "s" on "theo." θεοπνευστος. :)

And it matters not what Calvin may have done or not done. Particular Redemption is the Gospel. Accept it or reject it regardless of who defends or belittles it. But if you reject it you reject the very work of Christ on the cross.

20. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Until you learn how to talk to others without the condescending, arrogant attitude, I'm through talking to you. I don't have anyone on an ignore list, but like I said, until you learn something about humility I will not respond to anything you post. If you represent DoG theology, you do it much more harm than you do good. Bye! :wavey: