1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism and the Love of God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DrJamesAch, Jul 3, 2013.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

In the sense of his post, he (the Dr) calls all who believe in God's sovereignty stupid. That is not the main offense. God is the Creator, and has a right to call man's decisions wise or stupid. We, the created being, do not. In fact, if you have ever read Matthew 6, the words are quite clear, we do not have that right.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's a false argument, we non-Cals also believe in the sovereignty of God.

You are correct, God can call men simpletons and fools, but God does so when the term applies.

If men do not have the ability to believe, and God knows it, then if he offers salvation to these persons who cannot believe, that offer cannot be bona fide or legit.

That would be like me offering a million dollars to a blind man if he could read today's newspaper to me. It would be a joke, and if anything would be making fun of his blindness. This is the Reformed/Calvinist view of God.

If on the other hand the person can read, they would be foolish not to read the paper and collect the million dollars.

You guys simply cannot see how stupid your doctrine really is. I am sorry if that sounds harsh and cruel, but it's true. I would be embarrassed of such a doctrine, it is making a monkey out of you.

It not only makes you guys look foolish, it makes God to appear to be a monster and cruel. And yet you guys cling to this nonsense.

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No one has yet qualified what constitutes a "bona fide" offer of salvation from the Scriptures.

Psalm 19:1-4a -

The heavens declare the glory of God,
    and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
    2 Day to day pours out speech,
    and night to night reveals knowledge.
    3 There is no speech, nor are there words,
    whose voice is not heard.
    4 Their voice goes out through all the earth,
    and their words to the end of the world.

Combined with Romans 1:19,20 -

For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

And Romans 10:18-21 -

But I ask, have they not heard? Indeed they have, for“Their voice has gone out to all the earth,
    and their words to the ends of the world.”

19 But I ask, did Israel not understand? First Moses says,
    “I will make you jealous of those who are not a nation;
    with a foolish nation I will make you angry.”

20 Then Isaiah is so bold as to say,
    “I have been found by those who did not seek me;
    I have shown myself to those who did not ask for me.”

21 But of Israel he says, “All day long I have held out my hands to a disobedient and contrary people.”

Show us that God has made a bona fide offer of salvation to every person.

The problem is not with God, the problem is with people being "stupid" and rejecting the light that God has so clearly revealed-

Romans 1:18, 21

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.

For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

That's Scripture.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Tit 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,

Deu 30:11 For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, neither is it far off.
    12 It is not in heaven, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
    13 Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, that we may hear it, and do it?
    14 But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it.

Isn't this exactly what Dr Ach and I just said?

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

No. Ach claims that Calvinists position is "God creating someone for the sole purpose of condemning them, and even desiring their fate, and WITHOUT a bona fide offer of salvation..."

That's not the Calvinist position at all.