1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism in Soul-Winning

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by 4boys4joys, Sep 4, 2007.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

1. The passage that you reference is, of course, naturally from your understanding. Since your question was to calvinist it would be better to phrase the question in manner from which they can reply. The verse yoe reference, 2 Peter 3:9, is contextually speaking of all believers, not each and every person ever.

2. When you say "if God loves every man" it presupposes that God loves every man alike. It doesn't recognize that God has had a unique and special love for His people, the elect, and a common, or benevolent love for mankind in general.

3. The doctrines of grace are so interwoven that one cannot stand without the other. I don't think "house of cards" is an appropriate metaphor because it needlessly carries with it a negative connotation. IMO

4. For one who is a calvinist to affirm God has love for everyone and another to say no, probably just shows that each one is focused on a particular aspect of God's love. Again, this goes back to common and special grace.

#61 ReformedBaptist, Sep 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

I will respond differently in the next post. Sorry for the sarcasm.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RB , You still have not answered my earlier question . What sort of love has God for Esau ?

And , who says that my view on "Common Grace" is not orthodox ? Is any position on that issue a litmus test for orthodoxy ? Will folks who don't line up with your particular views of church government or eschatology be called heterodox folks by you and yours ?

How old is the view of "Common Grace" ? Didn't it largely come into prominence in the late 19th century ? Major on the majors when you condemn views counter to your own .