1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinism is a combination of Theological Fatalism and Determinism, or is it?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by humblethinker, Sep 1, 2012.

1. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Do you not quite realize that anyone else might just as easily and randomly accuse you of being "set to resist"? You do realize that right? You do understand that you are no more immune to such an accusation than those of whom you regularly imply that. Do you think that all things that you post are completely air-tight or something? Seriously, why do you always talk like that?

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    HOS,
    I am not concerned about accusers because I know the scriptures I post about are God given and correct. I mostly post when I know what i am posting is air tight. Some could explain it clearer, and with more tact....but it's like this.

I had no preconceived agenda when I first came to scripture. I was completely hostile to all of it. God got a hold of me, and gave me a new heart.
    It was such a radical change, i am the last person alive that would have ever believed the scripture...but God had mercy on me. No one can tell me that I was seeking God....he sought me 100%.
    I did not know any theological terms, i did not know what the numbers of a bible verse meant.....like heb 6:17.....i read for months and was drawn to faith, and actually was shocked at the clarity with which Paul spoke of predestination in Eph 1. I knew that it had to be so...just as it said.God who created everything had a plan that was certain to come to pass.
    I just believed it...

if a JW seeks to deny Jesus deity...it is a non starter with me. he is in error.
    If someone attempts to deny election , predestination and the atonement...the same thing....
    I still have much to learn about it, but it is futile for someone to attempt to undo the verses in Hebrews, and John and romans and ephesians....it is everywhere.

#24 Iconoclast, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
  5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What we discuss in here is superficial most of the time for several reasons.

i f we had more of a grasp on the actual work of our Great High Priest most of this nonsense would cease.

years ago, and sometimes even now...i tried to find the best arguments against these positions...i found them and saw they were weak and fatally flawed. after awhile you do not look bach as much, you look forward to seeing the truth be victorious.

6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

I am asking you why you then, choose to act as an accuser on a regular basis.....in the sense of always acting as though anyone who disagrees with Iconism, is one who "refuses" to accept truths.....or "resists" them. Anyone might just as easily regularly refer to you as "resisting" the "truths" they are debating with you. Truthfully, I think it weakens your posts. Everyone posts when they "know" that what they are posting is "air-tight".

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Yes, you can put a dress and lipstick on a pig, and it's still just a pig.

[​IMG]

#27 Winman, Sep 2, 2012
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh look, a new pic of Winmans momma....how flattering, LOL!:laugh:

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

My mother passed away last October.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I know you were trying to be funny but that was unkind. An apology should be offered.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seem Calvinism embraces determinism but sees a distinction between fatalism and determinism. But both views embrace that the future as well as the past is and was fixed by powers beyond our comprehension.
    So a Tulip by any other name would smell just as putrid.

Jesus said things happen by chance, so the idea of exhaustive determinism is both unbiblical and is based on rebellion against the Lord Jesus Christ.

Calvinism teaches whatsoever comes to pass was ordained (predestined) by God, so it is sort of a theistic fatalism. Scripture says God sets before us the choice of life or death, but this must be rewritten in the name of Calvinism to read, God sets death before some and life before the elect. Not how it reads.

12. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

I think the God of Israel may take issue with your perceptions of Him.

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In my very humble opinion most humble "humble thinker" you are most unlearned about the Doctrines of Grace. Your obsession with determinism has blinded you to the truth and perhaps to the wonders of the GRACE of GOD; that is in my humble opinion of course.

Of course in my humble opinion most "humble one" your flirtation with Open Theism does not aid your understanding of the wonders of the GRACE of GOD!

#33 OldRegular, Sep 2, 2012
  14. OldRegular

In my humble opinion that putrid smell is only in your mind!

And the Scripture for that is?

You only read that part of Scripture that your bias approves.

But in my humble opinion whether you like it or not all those who are saved by the Grace of God are saved because they were chosen in Jesus Christ before the foundation of the world. Ephesians Chapter 1!

Now I can't speak about those who are saved by their works!

15. OldRegular

16. OldRegular

THose who flirt with Open Theism either think that Holy GOD has a hard time making up HIS mind or just hasn't figured it out yet!

17. OldRegular

THat is a most excellent response Tom. If I am not mistaken Islam is a religion based on Fatalism!

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

That's OK, I knew he was just joking. But you gotta be careful when you insult someone's Mom, lots of fellas have gotten bloody noses that way.

My Mom was not only a nice person with many friends who was a lot of fun to be around, but she was exceptionally beautiful by any man's standard, even in her old age. She was a real looker!

I am OK with her passing, as she had trusted Jesus as her Saviour. When I would visit her, she especially loved to listen to bible teaching by Vernon McGee. I enjoyed those last times with her.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

I can't speak for Van, but I believe he is speaking of this verse;

Luk 10:31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

Van is correct, Jesus said some things happen by chance. But this is not the only scripture to support this;

Ecc 9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.

So, there is scripture to support that some things happen by chance, even from Jesus himself.

20. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Did Jesus mean chance as "as luck would have it" or "as God would have it"? I don't know, but some Greek study may be in order to understand what He meant here.

And you must read the Ecclesiastes statement in context. The entire book is predicated on a "life under the sun" which means "without God".