1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism is not a cult

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by scotthines, Jan 14, 2008.

1. scotthines

scotthines New Member

Our church hired an interim pastor who came in preaching calvinistic views to the church. The leadership in the church, after 2 months, met with the pastor and told him that it was ok for him to believe these things just dont preach them in the pulpit. IS THIS NOT WHAT OUR FORFATHERS TAUGHT. The church constitution claims this is what we believe and yet it can not be tought. How long Must we deal with the truth being suppressed and watered down.

For those of us who have been encouraged by the truth being proclamed from the pulpit from a Man of God....WE HAVE BEEN LABLED AS A CULT.

The leadership in the church has refused to even address the multitude of scripture that backs up this position and they have clamed it to be aginst God.

Pray for our brothers there that God would open there eyes to His glory.

#1 scotthines, Jan 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What do you mean by teaching "calvinistic views to the church"?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A couple of questions:

Who called calvinism a cult?

Did the interim reveal in advance that he held to this position?

4. scotthines

scotthines New Member

The pastor was preaching the 5 points of grace and yes he was asked if he considerded himself reformed... he replyed " i am a 5 point Calvinist" The deacons were very offended by the idea of predestination and the soverinty of God over men. They wanted to put God in a little bottle they could put by the fire place and check on him every now and then. Not to big, not to small but just right for THEM.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I'm having a hard time following your line of thought here.

Did the church leaders not interview this man before you called him as interim to see if his biblical views lined up with the churches'? Interim or not, this is important.
    Perhaps you should call a new interim.

Calvinism is NOT a cult.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

That is true, even if you do not agree with Calvinism.

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

I'd rather pray that people come to know who Jesus is, and experience the reality that the Bible teaches of knowing Him. It is less important to me whether they agree with the 5 points. I don't give a hoot what my forefathers taught. They probably taught some stupid stuff we wouldn't want to repeat along with stuff we agree with.

There's more to be concerned about than someone adhering to the TULIP's definition of soteriology.

I don't think Calvinism is a cult, by the way. There are some calvinist crazies just like there are crazies of all stripes of theology.

8. skypair

skypair Active Member

Scott,

Welcome to BB. :wavey:

First -- that doesn't make it right. In Job, read 8:8-10. Bildad's advice was the same as yours -- listne to the wisdom of the ages. Well, it was flawed! It was the wisdom of MEN. Why not go back, in that case, the the Catholics?

If you think you receive eternal life via "election" (sad to say) or "5 points," they might be right.

Would you feel any more secure if they answered to the "mutlitude of scripture that backs up" Mormonism? or Judaism? We all know many scriptures "back up" the latter but are you willing to practice them in the "age of grace?"

I will pray with you. How did you get involved in this "non-Calvinist" church anyway?

skypair

9. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Amen Brother Dan.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Yippee

I always wanted to be a member of a cult....I don't know what to say, other than: If Calvinism is a cult, it had to be predestined.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

11. MustardSeed

MustardSeed New Member

I think that if the congregation's thoughts run contrary to the policy of the church leaders, it is perhaps time for new church leaders.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...but isn't this what you calvinists do too? :)

To me, this is all heresay. I don't have the first hand opinions of the deacons, so I cannot comment on what offended them, or if it even did.

13. scotthines

scotthines New Member

Absolutly not

God alone is soverign he is subject to no man. My God does not fit in a bottle. My God is so utterly big that there is nothing that can contain him. maybe you should look at what Calvin tought before you presume to know my view of God.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can care less what Calvin taught, to be quite honest. His teachings do not affect my view of God (which is identical to yours, btw, and I am not a calvinist).

15. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

mmmm maybe I should also say that

Non-Calvinism is NOT a cult.

16. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, neither Calvinism nor non- Calvinism is a cult.

Second, there is something not right in this situation or the reporting of the situation. The interim told them that he was Reformed, but they don't want him to preach it after 2 months.. Could it be that this is all that he is preaching? There just seems to be something strange going on here.

17. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tom, you wrote:

Good Point! Even as a 5-Pointer myself, I see the problem you address. It is one thing to preach election/predestination/Calvinism from Romans. It is quite another to preach these things from Joshua 7—the sin of Achan.

I am a firm believer in preaching the author’s intent as the main point of the passage. Nearly every message I’ve preached (and I don’t preach regularly), I have diagramed in the original language—or at least I’ve consulted the original language. This helps me to chase only the rabbit the author intended to be chased.

Hopefully, this interim preacher was not on the “Calvinism Soapbox.” That would be unfortunate and divisive, not to mention less-than-biblical.

Blessings to all,

The Archangel

18. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the great ironies of strict Calvinism is that in taking sovereignty to such an extreme length, they do indeed put God in a bottle. To the strict Calvinist, God is unable to work through free will.......they continually maintain that it is either man's free will or God's sovereignty, thereby claiming that either God must be sovereign or man has salvific free will, that both cannot be true.

The scriptures do indeed teach that God is totally sovereign........so sovereign, in fact, that he can work through free will. A truly sovereign God is not limited by man's free will......He can sovereignly work to elect those He chose, even though we have the freedom to choose or reject Him.

And no, we don't have to understand it. He's infinite, and we're finite.

19. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many people simply do not understand Calvinism. Maybe they don’t take the time to understand it, maybe they take other people’s (wrong) opinions about Calvinism as true, or maybe people just don’t care. Who knows?

The point is this: I’ve read many things on this site which show there is a fundamental lack of understanding of Calvinism and Calvinists. Certainly the preacher in the OP may have made some missteps, many Calvinists do, but then again, we are human too.

Being labeled a “Cult” is just another in a long line of silly accusations leveled against Calvinists. I’ve heard it all: Anti-missions; anti-evangelism; deterministic; anti-freewill; etc., and now—a Cult.

There is a recent Baptist Press article about Calvinism and evangelism. I have posted it and a response on my blog. Please vist.

Many Blessings,

The Archangel

20. PeterM

PeterM Member

Not that we need to stoke the fire on this one, but I have yet another concern:

Why do deacons have this kind of authority in the church? Sounds to me like there is an identity crisis in theological views and polity.