1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism of Watchman Nee

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by calvin4me, May 25, 2004.

1. calvin4me

calvin4me New Member

This topic deals primarily with the first point of Calvinism.
    In all of Nee's writings, especially "The Spiritial Man", he stresses almost above all things the crucifixtion of the flesh. If anyone ever advocated the doctrine of Total Depravity, it is Watchman Nee. If I could use one Scripture that sums up almost the entirety of Nee's work, it is: "...knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him,that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin" (Romans 6:6)
    Nee mercilessly launches his attacks on all that comprises the "old creation": any thoughts, emotions or products of self-will that try to knock down the spirit's sovereign position in man must be put to death in Christ. The Holy Spirit reigns over man's spirit, while man's soul and body serve and express the communion of our spirit with His. Brother Nee expounds in great depth how "the flesh begets flesh, the spirit begets spirit" We see how hopeless and futile man is if he remains in Adam. Regeneration is mandatory.
    Even our love for God is far from pure, and is often tained with narcissistic motives.
    To love God with His love is to truly love Him!
    Our love for God is perfected in Christ.
    Emotions, thoughts and will are the handmaiden of His spirit united with ours.
    "But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." (1 Cor. 6:17)
    The flesh loves to do good works, but they are not good works unless they are in accordance to His will: "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." (John 15:4)
    The apostle Paul is constantly instructing us to "walk by the Spirit". This is so imporatant, because we live in a day of age when many men and women like to brand every thought or emotion as the "will of God". The emotionism and illectualism of the flesh passionately tries to compete with the things of the Spirit.
    As I said, emotion/thought/will has thier place
    -as servants of man's spirit abiding in His Spirit.
    "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father." (John 14:12)

May Christ reign within us, to live out His life through ours.