1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism Purged at BJU?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pipedude, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I just heard an official rumor that another round of anticalvinism is happening at BJU. The president has announced in chapel that the Calvinists have to keep it quiet or else.

Anybody got the straight skinny?

(This is really gonna depopulate the School of Religion faculty . . . )

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Would not surprise me considering the article at http://www.bju.edu/library/collections/fund_file/refobap1.html

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==There goes any claim to academic honesty at BJU. Calvinism is part of the evangelical church and it is once again a growing part of the evangelical church. BJU does not have to embrace Calvinism, but it should not kick Christians who are Calvinists to the curb. If this "official rumor" is true I will say shame on BJU.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps it could be to keep out any troublemakers.

5. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I checked with a BJ kid at church tonight (home for the holidays) and he knew nothing about it. But then, some kids are clueless.

Maybe the rumor is groundless.

According to some who were there, BJ had two purges in a row back in the early '70s. People's Church got put off limits. I don't of any anticalvinist crusades since. On the contrary, from what I've heard, Calvinism's been growing like waistlines there and in other formerly noncalvinist circles. That's why I was surprised to hear the rumor.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would remind y'all, the term "Calvinist" is fairly flexible. My definition and usage of the word is quite different than say the Dutch Reformed Church.

So, how BJU is defining "Calvinism" may not be the way some here define the word.

Further, the divide amoung non-Free Will Baptists is between the John Gill and the Andrew Fuller brands of "Calvinism".

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BJU Response

To all the gentle people out there:

I have a 40 year ongoing love/hate relationship with BJU. My home pastor, who baptized me-married my wife and I-and ordained me to the Gospel ministry, was a "BJU man." So I know of whom and what I speak on some level.

They have always "purged" whatever doctrinal issue that they considered getting out of hand since their inception if I have understood correctly.

So I would take this "official rumor" with a grain of salt and not worry too much over it. They have a "balance" that is their "balance" and whenever it gets out of hand they seek to correct it.:thumbs:

"That is all!"

8. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Seems like it wouldn't be nearly so hard to sort out. Baptists have a long and, to my knowledge, unbroken antipathy to the distinctives of Dutch Reformism. And if you mean to refer to hypercalvinism when you speak of Gill, I've never heard of that even existing at BJ, much less becoming an issue.

No, at BJU, the "Calvinist" divide is between the garden variety Spurgeon types and the garden variety four-point Arminians. When the former start driving the latter bonkers and the supporting churches are complaining that their preacher boy came home all predestinarianed, then it becomes time for a Great Correction.

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Figured as much, though I'm really not all the surprised as Jones, Sr. was a Methodist. I see Uncle CH as getting the blame for alot of stuff that on closer reading of his works folks would find he never really taught. The man was a full blown Fullerite.

IMHO, much of the Calvinist allergy comes from the interaction between us'ns and the hyper-Calvinist\anti-Missionary types going back to the days of Fuller and Carey. IOW, the tension is nothing new.

10. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

I don't get the impression that any of the old influences of Methodism remain.
    I hate to say it, but I fear that money has a lot to do with it. Calvinism has been increasing steadily on campus. (And wasn't it on this forum that I saw Mt. Calvary Baptist Church referred to as "Mt. Calvinist"?) Yet there were no purges as in the early '70s. If there is, indeed, one now, I suspect it woud be because the supporting churches finally raised a ruckus.

Sad fact: he who pays the fiddler calls the tune.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When I was a student in the 70s I remember when a group of hypercalvinist students created quite a ruckus and disrupted a large meeting of Christians on the college campus . No doubt there were non-Chrsitians there. The hypercalvinists were told to leave immediately.

Years later I heard one of them preach from the pulpit of the church he was pastoring and what a difference! Very different attitude. It is obvious that he realized the error of his ways.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinists coined the term "cage stage" to describe the obsession and obnoxiousness that characterizes some new (and not so new) converts to the system.

13. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

That's a new term for me, but it's accurate. I remember when I first embraced the Doctrines of Grace, I wanted to talk about it with everybody I came in contact with. My pastor at the time hated to see me coming. Obnoxious is the right word.

I've seen it happen on a nearby Baptist university campus. New Calvinist students can become obsessed with the subject, and are not quite mature enough to handle such heavy stuff. Most of them grow out of their immaturity, though.

At one point, the college president expressed concern about those Calvinist kids creating friction on campus. I, the chairman of the trustees, suggested that we leave them alone and let the students hash it out. A college campus should be a place for robust debate and a search for truth. This will drive both sides to their Bibles, and isn't that what we want?

14. Reformer

Reformer New Member

Interesting, I didn't know this. Could you recommend a article/book that I might read for more info on the subject?

15. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best I can do is
    My bold

16. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

I'd recommend Gerald Priest's article "Andrew Fuller, Hyper-Calvinism, and the 'Modern Question,' in Haykin's edited volume: 'At the Pure Fountain of They Word' Andrew Fuller As an Apologist.

I've criticized elsewhere Priest's definition of hyper-calvinism and how it relates to Gill, but the article does bring you through the debates. George Ella's treatment of Gill offers a rosier conception that may favor Gill a little too much. The truth is probably somewhere in between Priest's and Ella's accounts.

BJ

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Every article published at BJU comes with the same disclaimer
    The above link does not express an official position of BJU.

I was at BJU in the late 70's as a grad student. One of my room-mates was a Presbyterian. The "official" rules were that no controversial theological subjects were to be discussed in the dormitories (such as Calvinism). The purpose was to maintain a spirit of peace and harmony. The dorms were not a battle-ground to stake out theological territory and defend it at whatever cost, even the cost of failing your subjects because of taking up so much wasted time arguing about needless subjects. I was not going to change that Presbyterian into an IFB, and he was not going to convert me into a Presbyterian. Why waste time arguing about it when our study time was so precious? BJU has always been consistent in laying down such rules.

#17 DHK, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
  18. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

Calvinism Purged at BJU

There is another excellent book on the subject and it is not too long. I would recommend you read Iain Murray's book Spurgeon v. Hyper-Calvinism. It tells the story of the Fullerites and the Gillites. It is interesting that Spurgeon was in the tradition of Andrew Fuller and pastored Gill's old church! The book is a fascinating read.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

From what I remember when I had Leon McBeth for class he told us that Gill's church nearly died until Spurgeon came laong.

20. Fred Moritz

Fred Moritz New Member

Calvinism

Robert Delnay told us the same thing. There were a number of years between the two men, but it languished under Gill. I think Spurgeon alludes to the fact also.