1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism - TULIP - "L"imited Atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jdlongmire, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

You mean theological principle though not necessarily a scriptural principle. I say that because my hermeneutic is also built on the 'scriptural principle' that God imparts salvation to those who believe through the working of His Spirit - the elect.

If you care to, I would like to have you come to a thread of mine started a while back but didn't get many takers on it regarding regeneration and is it before or after salvation - here

There are some issues I would like to see answered that are brought up in you statement "That faith, unique to the elect, also is accompanied by certain spiritual gifts." because it appears you see them as being given at the same time.

Anyway. Good night and the Lord bless you richly to His glory.

2. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Limited Either way

I am a rookie to this forum and I wil not pretend to have read all the post for this particular topic. But I do have a question/thought.

Didn't Spurgeon say something about atonment being limited either way? It is limited by God in His choosing or by man in his choosing. This is not a quote obviously but I think good ole Charles said something to that effect in a sermon he preached.

If this is the case then there is no need to argue if atonement is limited. However we are free to argue who limits it.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes it was said but unfortunately it was also wrong.

Redemption is limited but atonement was not.

4. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Partially correct - the atonement is sufficient in worth for for the sins of the whole world many times over, since it is an eternal atonement, but is limited in effect to only those Christ came to redeem - the elect.

If it were unlimited in effect, everyone without distinction would be saved, (Universalism) or there would be people in Hell for whom Christ atoned.

#44 jdlongmire, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  5. Shortandy

Shortandy New Member

Thats a good way to put it. Thanks

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

No, absolutely correct :)
    Your understanding of Unlimited Atonement is inaccurate to say the least. You seem to forget that the atonement is made on behalf of all but only those who appropiate it by faith recieve it's benifit. Thus our propitiation is by faith (Rom 3:25) and not ours only but the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2) Take for example the Atonement of Israel (once again). It was made on behalf of 'every' Jew but not every Jew was saved. The Law commanded the Atonement be made on behalf of all and Christ had to fulfill the Law in order to be a perfect sacrifice.
    However in relation to accusation that unlimited equates to all having to be saved...
    From "Basic Theology":
    Thus the Atonement is unlimited in extent but limited in redemption.

#46 Allan, Jun 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008
  7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Again from "Basic Theology"

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allan, cite your sources.In posts #46 and 47 of yours you just relay mountains of type without crediting the author.Besides, if it is basic, then why not briefly give your own understanding of Particular Redemption?

9. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

I agree - this "debate via cut-n-paste" is annoying - a quote or 2 is ok, but c'mon...:praying: Mercy!

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Sorry, Ryrie's "Basic Theology".

I have - twice already (at least) in this thread alone.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are right, being shown the error of your ways is really annoying :D

12. Allan

Allan Active Member

I have only done 2 quotes (via cut and paste of anothers work) in this thread so what are you complaining about exactly ??

13. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Yeah...

So, those smart enough or spiritual enough in their own strength "grab and get".

The spiritual equivalent of Natural Selection. The fittest will get saved!

14. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Huge quote posts.

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

You perfectly illistrate my point of "Your understanding of Unlimited Atonement is inaccurate to say the least" in your statement above.

If you want to proclaim anothers view them please take the time to actually understand them and not regurgitate others opinion of it.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it's Ryrie.That is the first time you have mentioned him ( I looked at all your previous posts in this thread where you were quoting others).

17. Allan

Allan Active Member

What?
    The mention of Ryrie and the two posts connected with him are the only times in this thread I cited anyone.

The second part of that is in responce to your second part about me stating 'my' view. I responded that I have at least twice already.

18. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

You do not rebut the fact, you simply claim I do not understand - the problem is - you don't like what I understand.

There is no "another's view" - I am simply taking your logic to it's end - reductio ad absurdum.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a big no. See my prior post.