1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism - TULIP - "U"nconditional Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jdlongmire, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#61 Rippon, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

The non Cals should say something....but do not hold your breath.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible does refer to the elect. "In my mind" calvinism's definition naturally leads to being "a nebulous group".

Please show me one human (because Scripture does refer to "elect" angels) who was called "elect" that was a gentile.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The non-cal's do not need to, since rippon likes to take comments out of context.

5. Allan

Allan Active Member

What are we supposed to say .. he does the same us :)

6. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The battle between Jon Chauvin and Jacobus Arminius continues to rage. What was the teaching before they passed through this world? The faith and practice has been in the world for 2,000 years.

I am not a Calvinist. I am persuaded that the points of the TULIP acronym will survive the test of the Word of God. Obviously this would preceed Calvin by 1500 years.

A summation of the teaching would be: Totally Depraved man, whose will is enslaved to his sin nature, cannot find savation even if he were to seek it on his own. (T) God in His Grace and Love Chose(U) to save and keep a group of sinners for His Glory and Purpose, even though they all deserve eternal damnation.(L) He convicts thems of their inability to save themselves and calls them out whenever and however He chooses. When God calls you, you do not run away.(I) When He saves, you do not get lost again. (P)

As Jesus died, He said: "IT IS FINISHED"--God's children were redeemed, in fact--their names had been written in The Book of Life from before the foundation of the world.
    This is so simple--a little child can understand.

What does any of this have to do with 16th century defrocked Romish priests?

Selah,

Bro. James

#66 Bro. James, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get specific. Where have I taken something out of context?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Scripture From TNIV

Do you think only Jews are elect?Do you think that during the ministry of Jesus that only some Jews, and never any Gentiles came to saving faith? The Lord has His own from among the Jews and Gentiles.

Mark 13:22 :"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect."( see Matt.24:24 also)

The elect in this verse refers ro Jews only?!

Luke 18:7 :"And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?"

When this verse refers to "his chosen ones", is that to mean only Jews?!

John 6:37 :"All whom the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away."( see verses 39,44 and 65 too )

The ones who are given to Jesus from the Father are not Jews only, are they?! They are elect, but from every nation.

John 10:3 :"The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen for his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out."

His sheep here are not Jews only, are they?!

John 10:11 :I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

The sheep here are not only Jews, are they?!

John 10:14,15 : I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me --just as the Father knows me and I know the Father -- and I lay down my life for the sheep.

These sheep who know Jesus and who Jesus also knows -- were not Jews only, were they?!Jesus laid down his very life for the sheep. The sheep for whom He gave His life were not only Jews, were they?!

You can also look at verses 26-29 regarding the same. Of course you must realize that the sheep are the elect -- none other!

The elect are composed of Jews and Gentiles. From among all people groups the Lord has His own.Believe it.