1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism vs. DoG??

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by convicted1, Dec 18, 2010.

1. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please don't misunderstand me. I am not suggesting that you shouldn't confront theology that is lacking. I think you should contend and do so earnestly for the faith.

Though, I'm not convinced that the Arminian gospel is false. There are many similarities--salvation by grace, through faith (not works), etc.

Now, I think the strategy of confronting synergists on how their theology supports salvation by grace through faith is fine. But, I would encourage you to properly represent their position as they claim it is, not a false caricature of their position.

Blessings,

The Archangel

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe it is a false caricature. The whole point of a synergistic gospel is that God does part of it and man does the rest. Even their own evangelists admit to this. I have personally heard the statement made from the pulpit, "God casts a vote, the devil casts a vote, and you cast the deciding vote." If your salvation rests on your vote did you not, then, save yourself?

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

You are so correct here, man MUST have faith, so man is part of the equation of the salvation experience. It is solely by God's Grace that salvation even exists, and that grace which extends this "great a salvation" to mankind. But mankind must respond to this grace with faith.

Romans 5:1-2

Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through OUR Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand.

In the provision of salvation God has demonstrated His infinite grace, in order to secure that salvation, man must respond with belief and faith.

"What must I do to be saved?"

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." (Acts 16:31)

4. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Would a term like "opponents" be a term that might be a stumblingblock? You have used that term twice now to refer to those who are not Calvinists. Do you seriously view non-cals as "opponents"? I would think that Christian or fellow believer would be a more appropriate term. I do not mean to sound rude but I see alot of harshness and venom in these threads regarding C/A and it comes from both sides. I think that it is unnecessary and wrong. We are all believers here.

5. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, a man must have faith to be saved. But is that faith an act of the unregenerate, dead, man, or is it the work of God in regenerating him and giving him the faith to believe and follow Christ?

That is the whole point of the discussion. Allow me to use this illustration. "By grace are you saved through faith." I have a lawn. I water the lawn regularly. The source of the water is the faucet. The means by which the water gets from the source to the need (the grass) is through the hose. Now, think about this. Can the water (grace) get from the faucet (source) to the grass (the lost soul) without the hose (faith) ALREADY BEING IN PLACE? If faith is the conduit through which grace flows unto salvation it must precede salvation, and that is only accomplished by regeneration.

The problem we seem to have is that we are finite creatures and must, in order to try to understand, produce a logical sequence of grace, regeneration, faith, and salvation. We must break these great truths into a logical sequence because we lack the capacity to see it as one complete, inseparable truth.

Salvation is the gift of God according to Ephesians 2:8-9, but we must remember that grace, faith, regeneration, and adoption are all INSEPERABLE aspects of our "so great salvation."

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how should be refer to each other to maintain the distinction between our different positions?

If we say "Christians believe that faith precedes regeneration" then counter point that with "But Christians believe regeneration precedes faith" our entire discussion will become incomprehensible (even more so than it already is!). :)

How about this: Synergists verses monergists. Will that help? :)

7. quantumfaith

We agree on the elements of salvation, grace, faith, regeneration. We do not agree necessarily on the sequence, and as for man responding, well even though man is marred and messed up because of sin, he still retains the "imago dei".

8. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with that view is that earlier Amy G. stated that a person must "take his hands out of his pockets and accept the gift." If we put Ephesians 2:8-9 in context we read in verse 1 that the lost man is "dead in trespasses and sins."

In my 37+ years of ministry I have officiated at and attended many funerals. None of the dead persons did anything at all. None of them were able to move at all, let along lift their hands and receive a gift.

Those who are "dead in trespasses and sins" not only don't want anything to do with God, even if they did want it, they could not receive it because they are dead! :)

To receive that unspeakable gift we must first be made alive. :)

9. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The theology expressed here--by the preacher you heard--is VERY wrong. I think Quantum has spoken to this.

But, I don't think the person you've heard in your own experience is indicative of all non-Calvinists (hence the encouragement against caricature).

To paint all non-Calvinists as believing the same thing as this person or even a number of persons (less than a majority) would be the same as saying all cops are dirty because Det. So-and-so was on the take.

Blessings,

The Archangel

10. quantumfaith

Some believers believe faith precedes regeneration, while other believers believe that regeneration precedes faith. (That wasnt so hard was it?)

11. quantumfaith

TCassidy; I respect your position, honestly I do. However, I dont see it the way you do. But I still love you, and not simply because I am commanded to, but because I choose to also.

12. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That goes without saying (or at least it should) but it doesn't really address the issue, does it? :)

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But so far only two have even commented on the issue and neither of those contradicted the doctrine illustrated by the example given. :)

If that is not what they believe, now is the time to say so. :)

14. quantumfaith

Well, unless we want to continue to "banter" back and forth, I would say we have both said our peace (piece)??

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, you see, I don't see this as mere banter. I see this as arguably the most important issue facing Christendom today.

Let me ask you a question. Did Christ need your help to save you?

16. quantumfaith

Of course not, but he does require my faith and belief.

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your answer is "no and yes?" He doesn't need your help but He has to ask your permission? And, if you are lost, how can you have faith and belief unless He has already given you a new heart of faith? Remember, "the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

So, how can you have faith and belief in that which you do not receive, consider foolishness, and can not know? :)

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to everything your saying. Note that I have many generations of Reformed ancestors/saints who also stood for the Faith & even died for it so I'm stalwart in my beliefs, be assured. Again please stay tuned though because I know your value to the Faith. We desperately need you & Bob & Jim & Ruiz & all the other Brethren. Especially at this time. :thumbsup:

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I havent used it but "opponent" is a common term in debating....at least when I was on debating teams in school. Terminology though can be a stumbling block. Both Mr. Cassidy & I, for example dont like Calvinist. That congers up John Calvin & his mistakes (Infant Baptism, sacraments) so what I will throw out. If were not called Calvinists, then what do you call us....I'm up for suggestions. Then if you dont call us Calvinists then they cant go around saying they're Non-Calvinists. LOL

#59 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2010
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am beginning to think that this obsession with what we call each other is an example of the first quotation in my signature line. We have allowed ourselves to be distracted by the semantics of names to the detriment of the discussion of the doctrine. :)

Its a good way to avoid the real discussion. :)