1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism's View of Satan

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by DeadMan, Jan 11, 2006.

1. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

I've googled this and have only come up with blogs and opinions with incomplete statements. Here's my question: Did God predestine Satan to become evil? And please support your comments with Scripture.

2. jw

jw New Member

I think there is a misconception that Calvinism denies man any choice. Man has a choice, a very real choice. The problem is man always makes the wrong choice. And apart from the quickening of the Spirit, we would never be able to turn to God.

God doesn't predestine man to hell, we chose hell with our whole hearts.

God didn't predestine Satan to hell, he willfully chose to fall.

The only difference is, God made a way for man to be saved, which He does not offer to angels.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well said jw.

4. bjonson

bjonson New Member

I think this is an excellent question. I have never read much on this from any Calvinist. However, I think the answer may be similar to this:

God is in charge of all that happens, ever. He controls the heart of the kings; he accomplishes His purposes and decrees without fail.

It seems impossible to show biblically that God was surprised by Satan's fall. In fact, I am quite sure He allowed it.

Now, the philosophical question is this: Did He allow it "passively" or "actively"?

I think He allowed it actively because to believe otherwise would be to allow God to be thwarted by the "free will" of His creation.

Another reason I feel this way is that there are currently hosts of angels in heaven that will never sin. A third of Satan's supporters followed him, but that is the last we've heard of angels falling. I think God is preventing the existing angels in heaven from sinning.

I think He created Satan as a holy angel but actively allowed him to fall.

Scriptures to consider:

"Who has measured the Spirit of the Lord, or what man shows him his counsel? Whom did he consult, and who made him understand? Who taught him the path of justice, and taught him knowledge, and showed him the way of understanding?" (Isaiah 40:13-14, ESV)

"all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, and he does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, “What have you done?”" (Daniel 4:35, ESV)

"This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord," (Ephesians 3:11, ESV)

5. bjonson

bjonson New Member

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Then God only plays games when He includes in His Word "...choose life", "...choose you this day" and all the other passages urging us to choose Him.

7. bjonson

bjonson New Member

webdog,

"...choose life..." and "...choose you this day..." were imperatively given to God's chosen people. Joshua was taking over and rallying the people to make the right decision.

They were already God's chosen (Deut. 7).

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Those were only two examples. There are many more throughout the Bible telling us to choose. Helen recently listed them on another thread.

9. jw

jw New Member

Then God only plays games when He includes in His Word "...choose life", "...choose you this day" and all the other passages urging us to choose Him. </font>[/QUOTE]bjonson's summation above is correct.

Or was God lying when He said "there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one."

Did you seek after God? Were you saved because the goodness in your heart brought you to make that right decision, or because the Holy Spirit of God quickened your stone cold dead heart and opened your eyes?

2 Cor 4:4, 6 "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them... For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.

10. bjonson

bjonson New Member

That's right jw...

webdog - please consider that Jesus told Nicodemus he couldn't even SEE the kingdom of heaven unless he was first born from above. And, that is not something he could do on his own.

"For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God." (Romans 8:7-8, ESV)

11. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Then God only plays games when He includes in His Word "...choose life", "...choose you this day" and all the other passages urging us to choose Him. </font>[/QUOTE]Just because God commands somthing doesn't mean man can do it. God commanded Isreal to keep the law even though it was impossible for them to do so.

12. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also God commands "Be ye holy as I am holy". This is another example of a command that we cannot carry out without God working in us to make us holy.

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Very good point.