1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist claim they are elected.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by ILUVLIGHT, Dec 28, 2004.

1. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

If this is so then why would He repent the making of Man. Even if it meant He only felt sorry that He had. I don't understand why God would do such a thing. He is perfect. Doesn't that perfection mean, that He could have planned all those circumstances differently so that they would have turned out perfectly?

Perfection means no mistakes. If the making of man was so terrible a thing so as to cause God to repent. Then I can only assume that He did something in the creation of men that wasn't quite right.

These are only questions not my personal belief. I don't believe that everything right down to the blinking of my eye was plan for when and how.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]The verse simply tells us that the Lord was grieved and had sorrow in His heart for making man. Why? Because mankind had fallen into great sin and this grieved the Lord. Does it mean that God didn't know that mankind would fall and become sinful? Of course not. Cannot God know that they would become sinners and also be grieved when it happens? Of course. Let me illustrate.

I have children. I love them and provide for them. But, they have grieved me in their various sins -- as any child will do to his parents. I knew they would grieve me when they were born because I know they are sinners by nature. This doesn't mean I was surprised and didn't know they would rebel when it happened. Quite the contrary, and knowing they would sin doesn't mean I won't be grieved when their rebellion and sin is finally manifested.

Key word, "assume." There are other alternatives. This verse is just a true expression of the way God felt with respect to the situation as it exists at theat moment. If a situation changes, then of course God's attitude or expression of intention will also change. It grieves God every time every person sins. However, God delights when that person repents and turns to Him does He not? He says He will judge sin, yet when persons repent, He relents. This does not mean God changes His purposes or that He is imperfect in any way or that anything He has done is imperfect.

We see the total sweep of the story and Scripture. : God's previous action led to events that, in the short term caused Him sorrow, but that nonethless in the long term would ultimately achieve His good purposes." (Grudem, Systematic Theology, 1994, p. 165)

By saying that you think God did something imperfect in creating man, then you are blaming God for man's sin. How can you say this and then say Calvinists are the ones that make God the author of sin? This very statement contradicts your own statements about us, because, in saying this, you are saying God is to blame because He did something imperfect in creating man.

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could have but did not. Does that make God imperfect?

Where do you get that God changed His mind in Gen 6?

Mr Webster defines perfection as "An inherent or essential attribute of supreme or infinite excellence; or one perfect in its kind; as the perfections of God. The infinite power, holiness,justice, benevolence and wisdom of God are denominated his perfections."

God's perfection is immutable. It wasn't the making of man that so grieved the heart of God. It is man's rejection of Divine love that breaks the heart of Abba Father.

Oh no, between this and that total depravity thing, I'm starting to sound like a Calvinist! Somebody help me! :eek:

3. billwald

billwald New Member

There is no test for election.

4. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Padredurand;
    It starts out with a change of mind. God repented in the making of man and it greived Him. God's original intention was to destroy all men verse 7 This is one change but Noah found Grace and He decided to save Noah and His Family This is Change two. He also decided to save some of the other creatures with Noah because according to verse 7 He wasn't only going to destroy men but all the animals as well.
    There are other instances where God Change His mind because of the actions of men.
    The Jews wandered in the wilderness for 40 years because of the actions of men. This was done as a punishment of men so that they wouldn't ever see the promise land.

Mike [​IMG]

5. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi BillWald;
    I know there isn't. However it is intresting how many believe they are elect yet refuse to consider that election may just be universal rather than individual. I would rather discover the truth my self than have it told to me. Seems when you do discover it yourself men accept it much more quickly and hold on to it more tightly.
    Mike [​IMG]

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can assure you that not all those who claim to be the elect actually are. In fact a number of Calvinists I met are not even sure if they are saved.

Mt. 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. "Many will say to Me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

7. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    iluvlight,

As a God of Justice, we should get what we deserve - in this case destruction
    As a God of Mercy, we do not get what we deserve - in this case we are not destroyed.
    As a God of Grace, we get what we do not deserve - Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

Sounds like an earthly dad to me. Reminds me of getting caught smoking behind the barn. Dad's first words were, "Why I ought to blister your behind (that would be justice), but I ain't going to (that's mercy); aw come here." And when he took me in his arms and hugged me that was grace. He didn't change his mind and rue the day I was born. He mourned at the choices I made but he didn't stop loving me. It grieved him that I would ignore the testimony of my grandpa I'd never meet who died with a pack of un-Lucky Strikes in his pocket.

My daddy had the right to blister my bottom. He was my dad and had committed his every waking day attending to the welfare of my siblings and me. He loved all of us. If he took the switch to me it was because my disobedience was as much an affront to a daddy's love than any misfortune that would come my way.

God is something much greater than any earthly father. He is just, merciful and gracious at the same moment. I wonder how many times each second God says, "I ought to, but I won't for now. Have you met My Son?"

8. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey GB,

Send them out our way and we'll make good Arminians out of them. At least then they will know they are saved; they just won't be sure if they'll stay that way. :cool:

9. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Padredurand;
    The Father who doesn't correct His children isn't really a Father.

The child who doesn't accept correction and learn from it isn't really a Child of God.

Destruction is much more than mere correction.

Justice, is much more than mere punishment. For punishment to be just it requires responsibility for the punishment. If man is predestined to destruction and this predestination is unalterable then there is no responsibility. Simply because of the predestination he just couldn't do otherwise.

Man had to have been created for righteousness. It had to be this way inorder that man be held responsible for sin.

To Say that some men are given favor and others aren't makes God appear unjust. It doesn't matter if you say that God says it is just or not. What is Just or unjust right or wrong was determined by God in the first place. Can He, (or better yet)' will He break His own laws?.
    What is right and what is wrong is what brings us Justice by the weight of each against the other. If man is predestined before the foundation of the world for destruction then God is not Just, according to His own Laws.
    Mike [​IMG]

10. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Good Arminians! Are there any?HaHa!

johnp.

11. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    johnp,

"And Jesus said to him, 'Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.'" Luke 18:19

I guess there aren't any good Calvinist, either.

12. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God taketh no pleasure in the death of sinners, so as to delight simply in their death; but he delights to magnify his justice, by inflicting the punishment which their iniquities have deserved. As a righteous judge who takes no pleasure in condemning a criminal, may yet justly command him to be executed, that law and justice may be satisfied, even though it be in his power to procure him a reprieve. George Whitefield December 24, 1740

johnp, I forgot the ha, ha! on the end of my last reply to you. Lest you be offended, brother.

13. johnp.

johnp. New Member

never said there was pad! :cool:

johnp.

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Me get offended, never. If I were to become offended I would only be sinning against the Lord and that is like butting your head against a wall. I'd rather have sugar in my tea than take offence.

johnp.

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

ILUVLIGHT.

And that is exactly right. That's why Paul answers the point, that is just the conclusion you should come to so Paul answers your question; RO 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, `Why did you make me like this?' " 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?

That's the answer, no answer, a warning, "Who are you, O man, to talk back to God?"

He does not depend on your opinion He has told you. RO 9:14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,
    "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."

He is the law. What He does is law. My God is Sovereign and as such is not bound by any law, His will is law. He does not ask us to sit in judgement of Him.

I think that is a fair statement. That predestination to Hell is not scriptural but I would not deny that God chose to create the creation in full knowledge and with a determined will He created some for Hell. The purpose of which is to bring Him glory by revealing His wrath and His justice. Attributes He wanted to show us. May be. But the conclusion is good.
    Then when you question Him about His morality He gets all uppity and says, "What's that to you?" Or "Are you talking back to me?"
    He is scary when He gets like that.

The scriptures should drive you to this conclusion. It was Paul's conclusion but He did not have the answer either. His conclusion, "RO 9:22 What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23 What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory-- 24 even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles? 25"
    That's Paul's conclusion but he does not know if it is true. I would bet my last £ that the answer, "RO 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?" 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, `Why did you make me like this?' " 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?, was to Paul's question.

He says He is Just. He says He does the above. He will straighten it out if He so wills, I have put my faith in Him and question Him no longer over His business.

johnp.

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Send them out our way and we'll make good Arminians out of them. At least then they will know they are saved; they just won't be sure if they'll stay that way. :cool: </font>[/QUOTE]I have never met a true evangelical who was 100 percent Arminian or Calvinist. Just listen to their prayers sometime.

17. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You peeked, didn't you. There must every few 100% Calvinist in Baptist circles or they'd be falling all over themselves baptizing babies! But, that was another thread.

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wonder how a pure Calvinist explains, "How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?"

19. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi JohnP;
    Rom 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
    Who has resisted His will?
    Answer His own people;
    Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

You take what Paul is speaking hypothetically about and assume that this is the way it is.

I disagree God cannot live outside of the Law He created. If He did He would be sinning against Himself. God cannot sin.
    Well when we stop asking questions then we will die in ignorance.
    Mike [​IMG]

20. whatever

whatever New Member

Here's one way.

I'm not sure why you think this passage is a problem for Calvinists.