1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinist, Reformed Theology No Longer Allowed

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by reformedbeliever, Nov 13, 2007.

1. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

:tear:

Brother, read the blogs and this BB forum. These are not a few incidents, but as another put it... the tip of the iceburg.
    I appreciate your prayers for our ministry. I pray for yours often.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In regards to the OP, I believe the non cal's will be banned from the BB well before the cal's. I believe the administrators are cal's here. Some should be banned for their vitriolic, rude posts...but not for their beliefs.

Second, I do not believe either should be banned from the BB, or any denomination, period. The extreme views from both should be noted, and then if any action is warranted in regards to the extreme nature of one's theology, then action should take place. God authoring sin and libertarian free will are examples of extremes from both.

Third, God bless your ministry RB.

3. reformedbeliever

Thank you brother.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Is there anyway to kick the leader of this particular association out of office? Those who promote division and exclusion need to lose their leadership positions.

5. reformedbeliever

The leader has to abide by what the represented churches wish. He is going by a vote of the messengers from the churches. I'm speaking of the Arbuckle Association. The leader of the Bryan Association is seeking unity in diversity. It is a group of pastors who have mislead their congregations about Calvinism, who are being divisive in that particular association.

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

Well, I do see some sense in the OP proposal.

First off, Calvinism sotierology blatantly denies SBC's. How can you have 2 "options" for salvation -- one where you do NOTHING to receive salvation and one where you MUST repent and receive salvation? We gotta teach one or the other, right? I mean, could one tenet any more diametrically oppose another than these two?

Furthermore, at some point shouldn't the church grow into "the UNITY of the knowledge and faith of Christ?" I believe some are growing together but some are growing apart unto what some will say are "historic" doctrines. But again, we are to grow toward Christ by the Spirit whichever way the scripture leads.

I'll be the first to say that there are "personality cults" developing within the SBC that are not good. However, they seem to at least have the same fundamental theology.

Maybe the Calvies should ask themselves if there is a better "vehicle" or "platform" for their theology than the SBC. I believe God has used such to put conservatives into liberal churches and turn them back toward the pattern that God desires.

Or maybe serving in a non-confrontational ministry in the best church God can find you would be a good strategy -- find your place in the body, that is. There is no need for this to be an issue unless someone's pride is hurt by not having his/her divergent opinion heard.

skypair

#26 skypair, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

If you're out of medication because you don't have any money, I'm sure we can take up a collection for you.

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I am sure the wife will allow me to send in a few dollars--Have you set up a site for a special drive, Npet.?

2. Such gross caricature must have stemmed from a lack of treatment.

9. reformedbeliever

Thank you sky for proving my point. What can I say or add to this?

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can see in certain instances why one group would prefer one over the other. E.g. Freewill Baptists. These denominations hinge on a certain preference of soteriology.

In denominations without such an emphasis, however, it is fruitless to try to "chase" anyone out over Calvinism.

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a non-Calvinist, I just want you to know that not all non-Calvinists share such opinions. :)

12. reformedbeliever

It is noted... and appreciated. There are many non-Calvinist who would see our diversity as a gift, rather than something to divide over. We need checks and balances. I see creative tension throughout Scripture.

13. drfuss

drfuss New Member

drfuss: I am not a Calvinist, but I think the Calvinists should be concerned. It is only a question of time until they get to the Calvinists. As the SBC continues to narrow its parameters, it wil eventually get around to the Calvinists.

First it was the moderates, now its the PPL and non-Baptist Baptisms. If they are successful, what will be next? If I was a Calvinist, I would want the parameter broadened, not narrowed just to stop this trend. I would be defending including those of the PPL and non-Baptist baptisms beliefs even if I did not believe in them. When they are gone, who will stand with the Calviists against further narrowing the paremeters? I suspect it might be 10 years or more down the road, but it will eventually get here unless the convention stands up to the SBC Fundamentalists.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

There is nothing moderate about destroying the view of scripture. What the conservative movement did was fight against the exclusion of conservatives by the liberals.

No such thing as a moderate. The liberal junk that was being taught in our seminaries and being hid fom the main SBC body was nothing short of extreme. Anyway the fight against liberals in the convention was a result of being treated as you are claiming to be. Comparing that to those who resist much of the reformed theology is really a non-comparison.

Taking one association and trying to paint the whole convention that way is not realistic. The hardest thing to agree on between reformed folks and non -reformed is that God makes men for the sole purpose of damning them. This idea creates the biggest controversy and it should. However there is nothign else between us that we should seperate on.

15. reformedbeliever

Another example of a non-Calvinist misrepresenting historic mainstream Calvinism. :tear:

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

How so? If He fails to atone for the reprobate, and whitholds His convicting grace, how is that not correct in principle? I see the potter has the right to make a vessel of wrath argument quite frequently here, stating in so many words that very notion.

#36 webdog, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  17. reformedbeliever

Oh absolutely He has the right to dispose of His creation as He sees fit... He is the Creator after all! :thumbs:

The command to believe is made to every individual however, and if an individual fails to believe, it is not God's failure. The genuine offer of salvation is given to all. Even those who have never heard, know God, but change the revelation into another god. There are no excuses.

Every one of us deserve hell. If God chooses to save some, does that make Him unjust? I don't think so. It may sound unfair, but do you want Him to really be fair with you web?

18. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

They have already done that with their previous actions. I agree that further action against the Priesthood of the Believer will continue to bring the SBC down.

19. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Well RB, As a Calvinist(in decline), I just want to say that God does have the right to dispose of His creation. He could create people for the sole purpose of damning them, but then He couldn't claim to be loving and merciful. There is nothing loving and merciful about creating someone, allowing them to eek out their existence in this miserable world full of violence and hatred, and then damning them for an eternity.

Given the information about GOd's character, we know that He wouldn't do something like that.

But when we throw something into the equation, that is often left out by most presentations of Calvinism, it all makes sense. People willfully don't believe. They supress the truth. They don't come to the light lest their deeds be reproved. They damn themselves. God doesn't damn them. So here is the thing, God sovereignly saves some, and ALLOWS others to damn themselves.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Did you say "calvnist in decline"? :eek:

I guess we recently lost one...and are gaining one :laugh: