1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinists and Children

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by mnw, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had a similar experience years ago, but mine came from reading Foxe's Book of Martyrs and reading of the tortures inquisitors inflicted on children in an effort to get parents to recant. And I mean little children, children too young to understand what was being done to them. I thought, "How could I resist that?" Yet, the Christians did resist. I then understood the saying of Christ, If any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple, Luke 14:26.

I learned the difference between natural love and agape loveā€”or, more accurately, I got a glimpse of it. Natural love for my children besets me, and tempts me to forsake Christ. It also causes me to doubt God's wisdom in His government of the world. (See the highlighted part of your quote.) I did pray more earnestly for my children after that experience, but I also prayed that Christ would give me More Love to Him. Don't let natural love dictate your theology, or command your actions. Pray for more love to Christ.

More love to Thee, O Christ, more love to Thee!
    Hear Thou the prayer I make on bended knee.
    This is my earnest plea: More love, O Christ, to Thee;
    More love to Thee, more love to Thee!

Once earthly joy I craved, sought peace and rest;
    Now Thee alone I seek, give what is best.
    This all my prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;

Let sorrow do its work, come grief or pain;
    Sweet are Thy messengers, sweet their refrain,
    When they can sing with me: More love, O Christ, to Thee;

Then shall my latest breath whisper Thy praise;
    This be the parting cry my heart shall raise;
    This still its prayer shall be: More love, O Christ to Thee;

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

What? Did you ask God to violate her free will? Did you ask Him to remove a heart of stone and give a heart of flesh? Did you ask Him to save her?
    I have done just that with my children and grandchildren....... and then I put my trust in the Sovereign Creator of heaven and earth... to do what He sovereignly wills to do. I trust Him. Do you?

3. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Actually, and I agree with you, the Father draws all men unto Himself through the lifting up of His Son.

All men have that chance to respond to that drawing of the Spirit of God but all men won't respond the same way: those who respond accordingly to salvation will be saved and in no wise cast out. Those who respond negatively are still drawn until they reach either the day of salvation, or the converse, the day appointed to die and face the latter Judgement at the Great White Throne: aka, the second death.

I see we both KNOW what Eph 1:4 means about being IN HIM.

We weren't elect and IN HIM before we were born the first time, it is only we are IN HIM after the second birth, then are we elect/regenerate.:godisgood:

4. mnw

mnw New Member

Thanks for the posts all.

I know its treading on theological ground which has firm adherents on both sides.

But, what I believe I have believed since before being a parent so it has not changed my theology, it is just a fresh application of something I already knew.

But, even with the areas of disagreement, I appreciate your posts.