1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists can't stand when smart people don't agree with them.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes welcome....& put on your flack jacket....you will need it...LOL

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would pass on that one too. Imprecise and impersonal. The God who ordains is a person. I know that some disagree, but determinism is too much akin to impersonal fatalism.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you joined our discussion of biblical truth. Now to be candid, what I believe to be true and what you seem to believe are very different.

You mentioned Acts 13:48b and used a translation of "ordained." Others translating the same Greek word, translate it as appointed. This begs the question who did the appointing? Now with your translation, ordained pretty much requires that God did the ordaining. But if we use appointed the question is not answered by the translation choice.

If we did a study of the word translated "appointed or ordained" we would find it refers to an arrangement between a person and another person or group by mutual consent. Thus using this understanding of the word, the idea seems to be that Paul gave direction, i.e. the gospel requirements, and those who accepted that direction, believed. Thus Paul, not God is part of the "appointment."

Now if we waded through all the usual "proof texts" for Calvinism, we would find similar disagreements as to the truth.

If we assume that our view is truth and it alone gives glory to God, rather than one or perhaps both of us need to gain a better understanding of the truth, we will not be giving glory to God but to ourselves.

4. McWilliams

McWilliams New Member

When speaking with unbelievers I never use terms of election, calvinism, TULIP, or such as those terms are for when we come to know and understand doctrine.
    People mostly have a very small view of God and think of Him in human terms when His way of thinking, planning and bringing sinners to Himself is nothing at all like we would think. I once heard it told that for someone who hates brussel sprouts to begin to like them, then to love them and to desire them often is an analogy to an unbeliever whom God has regenerated coming to know and love reading the bible, going to church and praying when they never did that before. Spurgeon tells an amazing story of how he ever came to the Lord when he thought he did it himself. He began to realize that he never would have done such a thing had not the Lord changed his heart first! We speak to unbelievers by assuring them the bible is God's holy word and without error. What He says to us is how we are to know Him, love Him and obey Him! I once was told the bible was God's love letter to me and I immediately began to read it, crave it and to learn all I could about it, knowing He would be holding me accountable for what it says, all of it, not just certain parts! It is a wonder! Soli deo gloria!

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I know you didn't!

You need to read my last post on "five questions".

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Bro. OR, you asked me this question,"While I have your attention why did you close your thread "Five Questions"?}

Then you stated "I know you didn't!"

I thought maybe someone could close their own thread according to your question. I was just answering you question.

BTW, are you related to any Bakers in WVa? My grandfather(mom's dad) was a Baker from around Oak Hill/Lockgelly/Lockgally area.

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I was pulling your leg, metaphorically!

Not that I know about!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.