1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinists, help me out here...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Skandelon, Dec 29, 2004.

1. johnp.

johnp. New Member

2. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 10:23-31

"And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon's porch.
    Then came the Jews round about him, and said unto him, How long dost thou make us to doubt? If thou be the Christ, tell us plainly.

Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
    But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

I and my Father are one.

Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him."

No exegesis required.

Selah,

Bro. James

Greetings, johnp, welcome to Athens.

3. rc

rc New Member

Pretty easy huh James? ....

4. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi RC;
    Your just plain wrong as usual. He came to save His people and wound up dying for the whole world. You've already lost.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

5. rc

rc New Member

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!

Are you kidding me ! Doe you know how much of a complete horrible understanding that is?

What? Did God initially come down to save HIS PEOPLE but then when He got down here He found out that He screwed up and decided to change the plan and "WOUND UP" dying for everybody?

Don't you see how incredible that is? God didn't "wind up" doing nothing except what He planned on doing which is written for us to understand NOT to extract and change for our bias presuppositions!

Wes, please REFLECT upon what you said. That was aweful AND unscriptural AND you didn't refute the proof text. He died for HIS PEOPLE!

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Then You set me straight, WHO ARE HIS PEOPLE?

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Regarding whom Jesus prayed for,
    Same prayer session, same location, same Praying person. Jesus prays first for his Apostles, then for all who would, through their teaching, believe in Jesus, and thus have everlasting life. The Apostles God foreknew, he destined them to be the Apostles, they are the Elect! They were ALL Jews, (his own) The life of Christ was lived within 100 miles of the place of his birth, Bethlehem of Judea.

rc, Just how do you suppose that Jesus saved his people from their sins? In scripture there are very few that Jesus raised from the dead, thus saving them. Jesus died a sacrificial death, thus paying the penalty for sin IN OUR STEAD, so that through faith, we might have everlasting life rather than dying in and for our own sins? You see, it is because the FATHER established in the Garden with Adam that the penalty for sin is Death. "...if you eat of that tree you will surely die..." that death exists as the penalty for sin. What did Adam do? Yep, He disobeyed God and ate of the tree! So for the next few thousand years all mankind lived under the death penalty because ALL have sinned. Without something to break that "sin and die cycle", it would continue forever. However, God in his foreknowledge established that His Son would pay the penalty of all sins in All times, so that no man dies because of sin. Thus Jesus truly did save his people from their sins! All people are Jesus' people, we are all created, Adam and Eve created and the rest of us procreated, but not all acknowledge that truth. And Jesus said "whosoever believeth in Him shall not die but have everlasting life". So, guess who the "his people" in Matthew 1:21 are? That's right, according to Jesus, John 17:20, it is all the whosoever's that believe in Jesus, and it has been so for the past 2000 years!

He came into his own and his own received him NOT!
    AND
    As for Jesus' Mission?
    NO more nonsense about who Jesus' people are! They are not a select few, they are the Nations of the world, the Whosoever's that come to have faith in Jesus! That is what Jesus came to do! That is what He Did and said "it is finished", meaning that everything is in place for man's salvation! It is now up to us to believe unto salvation!

8. rc

rc New Member

Jesus came to SAVE His people WEs...
    Again, you miss the whole point.
    Only the SAVED go to heaven Wes.
    If ALL are His people the ALL are saved.
    Again the grammer determines the meaning, not what you ADD to it. SAVED means just that. It doesn't mean "put in a position to where they then have the CHANCE to believe. It means actual salvation. He is a perfect saviour and saves perfectly. He will do what He came to do.
    You haven't proven any point at all. He SAVED.

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

And rc, you continue to ignore the truth.

No one is saved before it is time, we are merely given the choice to believe and be saved (future tense), or to not believe and face the second death (again, future tense). It is our faith condition that marks us for the separation of the sheep and the Goats. It is our works brought on by our faith condition that are the symptoms of our faith. We are not saved in the flesh, all flesh dies, but we do receive the promise of salvation through our faith. Our salvation occurs when we who believe in Jesus PASS FROM DEATH (flesh) UNTO EVERLASTING LIFE. That is, when we leave these bodies of flesh that we occupy, we either go into the presence of the Holy Lamb of God, or we go to await our fate of being cast into the lake of fire. OUR FAITH, DETERMINES OUR FATE!

I have never said or otherwise indicated that ALL are saved! However, because the penalty for sin has been paid ONCE for ALL, whosoever out of ALL, that believeth in HIM shall not face the second death (final termination), but shall instead have everlasting life (salvation).

If all mankind are not "His people" then there must have been two creators creating identical human species. It is only through our personal choices that we become HIS PEOPLE spiritually speaking. Once we decide to submit ourselves to HIM, the Holy Spirit indwells us and shapes us into HIS likeness.

He came to save ALL Mankind! He enabled all mankind to believe and thereby be saved by HIM, but he does not force us to believe in HIM. He leaves that choice up to us! And Yes, we do have the power and the right to choose HIM of our own free will! He made it that way!

10. rc

rc New Member

No one is saved before it's time? Whose time. All is in referance to the one writing it. GOD!

Ephesians 1:4-9 4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. In love 5 he predestined us(1 )for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will, 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. 7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, 8 which he lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9 making known(1 )to us the mystery of his will, according to his purpose, which he set forth in Christ

We (the elect) were ALL chosen before the WORLD Wes !

11. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Ephesians 1:3-12 Paul is telling the Ephesians how the Apostles came to be! Verse 13 he begins to tell the Ephesians,
    Just as John 17:20 says ...but also for those who through their teaching will come to believe in me. The Ephesian Christians certainly fall into that category of believing through the teachings of the Apostles.

So now you declare yourself to be an Apostle....how interesting!

12. rc

rc New Member

There is absolutely nothing that implies that Eph 1:13-14 says "This is how the apostles came to be" That is histarical. Read in context from verse 1, He is talking to THE SAINTS, then Paul says "who has blessed US" Do you mean Jesus only blessed the Apostles? NO. It's to the saints he referring to.

And then Paul tells them about their salvation.
    "he chose US in him before the foundation of the world,"

And then Paul says WHY God did it.
    he predestined us(1 )for adoption through Jesus Christ, according to the PURPOSE of his will,

Sorry, Paul didn't say,

Ephesians.... this is how us apostles "came to be"..... that's rediculous.

But it does say that we are predestined ! Chosen before time. Sorry, God knew who Christ had to die for before time and then He paid the price to die for those that He chosen before time. Those He passed over "die in their SINS" not in their unbelief.

13. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

You still can't read, I said,
    In Verse 13 Paul changes to explanation of the Ephesians condition.

Anyone studying for a Ddiv, who can't read the bible is doomed to be a false prophet!

14. rc

rc New Member

Hermaneutics 101 Wes,

It does not say that He is talking about the apostles Wes...

15. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Ok, DDiv candidate, If you can't understand what you read, I hope you fail in your quest!

In verses 3 through twelve Paul is explaining where his authority is derived for writing the rest of the letter! Then he precedes to explain to the Ephesians how they too have received God's Salvation. And following he gives them the guidelines for living the Christian life.

16. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

Tell us, please Wes,

How you got Apostles out of those first 11 verses of Ephesians 1.

I'll buy Jew who have been converted.

17. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Try looking at
    The "US" is the Apostles in that it is through the apostles whom Jesus taught that everything is brought under Jesus as head.

Was it not the chosen 12 who were with God the Son somewhat constantly for some 3 1/2 years? Is it not the 12 that God the Son revealed himself to?
    Now look at John the end of 16 and all of 17
    Then, Jesus, praying in the presence of his Apostles, John 17:6-9
    It is clear to me that Paul is saying to the Ephesians that by virtue of the authority of the Christ given to the Apostles, who taught the Ephesians, that,
    This is confirmed by Jesus in his Prayer to the Father in
    The Ephesians are not Jews they are Turks, Ephesus is in modern day Turkey? They were Gentiles, Paul is an apostle to the Gentiles. Therefore I believe that Paul sets the stage or establishes His authority in verses 3-12, then explains the Ephesian condition in accordance with the Lords Prayer in the Garden as stated above

18. rc

rc New Member

You guys really need to take a hermeneutics class.

"Us" is defined by the most previous defined personal noun. Hmmmm lets actually look and see what the text says "WITHOUT" throwing garbage into it.

VERSE 1 To THE SAINTS who are in Ephesus
    VERSE 2 Grace to YOU
    VERSE 3 who has blessed US

Us refers to The writer and the most previous defined noun... hmmm I don't see any "apostles" in there... why... because Paul is including THE SAINTS in Ephesus ! If Paul wanted to talk about the Apostles, he would NOT have said US, but "THE APOSTLES".
    Also the paragraph doesn't allow it. If Paul was excluding the Saints by just talking about the 12 then unless the language changes, EVERYTHING that Paul says when he says "WE", "US" will refer again to the last defined noun.

Where only the apostles:

blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places,

that we should be holy and blameless before him.

the praise of his glorious GRACE, with which he has blessed us in the Beloved. (grace was only given to the apostles huh?)

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace, (only the apostles have received redemption?)

Even if this horrible understanding of verse 1 would be taken seriously, it dramatically fails by the grammar. (happy Diane?)

19. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

First, Paul's greeting ends here, not with verse 3

Verse 3 through 14 is Paul explaining to the Ephesians the mystery of Salvation and of the church which at that time had as its core, the Apostles of Jesus Christ!

If you call that hermeneutics, I want none of it! You need to learn how to read the bible. Here is Ephesians 1:3-14 separated according to the thoughts being conveyed.
    Now Tell me Who is Paul talking about in all but the last paragraph? Clue, it is NOT the Ephesians! In the last paragraph He addresses the Ephesians.

Now if one looks at John 17, where Jesus is praying in the presence of the Apostles, we see in verse 6-8 "I have revealed your name to those whom you took from the world to give me. They were yours and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now at last they have recognised that all you have given me comes from you for I have given them the teaching you gave to me, and they have indeed accepted it and know for certain that I came from you, and have believed that it was you who sent me.

John 17:1-26 Explains Ephesians 1:3-12 and 13,14.

No rc, IT IS YOU who needs a class in Hermeneutics!

20. rc

rc New Member

There is no reason to explain this first of all to the Ephesians and secondly....

THE GRAMMER doesn't allow it Wes ! Stop talking about things you don't understand! THere isn't theology teacher that would say this... this is all made up by your god... yourself! Give me one book, commentary that is spewing this... I know, it goes along with that make-believe history book that says Calvinists were condemned as heretics by the protestant church ! ha !