1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists help me understand

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by evangelist6589, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Agreed!!! What's good for the goose is good for the...

Name calling is one thing, and calling one 'slow' is uncalled for.

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Compare the king of Ninevah's decree with Nebachudnezzar's in Daniel 3. Both kings made a decree that they people obeyed. But that doesn't mean they were "lock-step" with their king. In Daniel, just because they bowed to the golden image doesn't mean they worshipped it, but they didn't want roasted. Sure, some probably did worship it.

The Ninevahites, though they bowed themselves, was no guarantor they repented as the king of Ninevah did. They, as a whole, were not in "lock-step" with their king, but did so to keep from maybe being punished...

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh ho ah haaaaaaaaa....Finney and Calvin.ahhhhhhh! Don't know when ive laughed sooooo hard:laugh:

Good one brothers! :laugh:

4. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I just thought of this question: if the entire city repented, could some of them been false professions of faith? Maybe that is silly to ask, but the thought occurred to me. Am I alone?

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No they were not. Finney had a completely different message.

6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Nineveh was destroyed some years later so obviously there was false converts.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Nineveh was destroyed over 150 years later, not one single person Jonah preached to would have been alive.

Boy, you see false converts everywhere don't you? SNIP

#107 Winman, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep...they certainly did not fool God into showing mercy. And to what religion did they convert?

This is what I was trying to indicate, John, when you were seeking advice for teaching Jonah. Teach Scripture and not what you would like for it to say. Don't alter Scripture to support your beliefs; build your faith on the Word of God.

9. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No,no. I don't mean it that way at all. I can only believe what the Spirit causes me to believe, correct? I have prayed many times, many times, for the Spirit to show me the Truth. Thus far, He has not convicted me that my position is wrong, nor that TULIP is right, with the exception of the P. So that is why I say, what am I to do? Listen to you, or listen to the Spirit?

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are still some big differences between calvinism and non cals it would seem...

11. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

A five-point Arminian is more theologically stable than most non-cals on here. When they aver, "I am not an Arminian", the Arminians say, "Hallelujah, amen!!!"

12. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This post--and the one to which I originally responded--contains the logical fallacy of "Begging the question." Your conclusion (your interpretation is Spirit-led) is included in your proposition, when it is entirely possible that your conclusion is wrong. Secondly, when you say "listen to you, or listen to the Spirit" we have another begging of the question. Your premise is that to listen to me would be to turn your back on the Spirit when it is entirely possible that the Spirit may be seeking to illumine your understanding through me.

What is more, there is NO need to discount my interpretation of Jonah because I'm a Calvinist and you're not. There is no fundamental Calvinist or Arminian doctrines either illuminated or discussed in Jonah. So, here again, we have the revelation of another fallacy: Poisoning the well. You begin with the assumption that no Calvinist can clearly read or interpret scripture, hence the Calvinist's well is poisoned.

So, your question begging reveals much in your logical processes. So, you may not mean it that way, but you are saying it that way. It may be that you are saying what you mean. If you don't mean it that way, you'll say it another way.

The Archangel

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do we have any real Arminians here posting on the BB?

Seems to be mainly:

Reformed Baptists
    Calvinist Baptists
    Non Cals

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That does seem to one of the common complaints here, as some seem to hold that if one is a calvinist, or a non cal, that they have nothing worth reading....

Think that we can glean and learn from each other though, as none of us can claim to have "all the truth exactly right"

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

If they were false converts then they did fool God, because God repented of destroying the city. :laugh:

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

And the P isn't right either, unless you think you must persevere in good works to be saved.

I am not persevering, I am not enduring to the end, I am "preserved". HUGE difference.

17. Winman

Winman Active Member

You figured that out all by yourself?

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Baloney, most Arminians believe a person can lose or forfeit their salvation, and this is the primary reason most "non-Cals" here at BB do not identify with being an Arminian.

I do not believe you can lose your salvation, but I do not believe in Perseverance of the Saints, which is nothing but works salvation in my opinion. No, I am Preserved in Christ, he is keeping me, and that is why I cannot be lost. I am not saved because I am or will always be faithful to Jesus, I am saved because Jesus will always be faithful to me.

This is far different from Perseverance which both Calvinists and Arminians believe that requires that a person persevere in good works to be saved. Again, that is nothing but works salvation in my opinion.

And how would you know what the Arminians say?

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

No. All true Arminians believe they can lose salvation. If they don't believe in this they are not true Arminians.

You don't understand perseverance of the saints and are, in fact, a 'four point' Arminian and in today's understanding Pelagian in 'theology' which is well documented here on BB.

No one here preaches a person must do good works TO be saved. In that you're incorrect. What we do believe is that a truly converted person will persevere because of the seed of God in them (note 1 John 3:10ff) and they do not believe their works to be a cause of salvation but a reflection of salvation.

That said you'd have nothing to do if it weren't for the straw man arguments that you erect and beat on. :)

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

That is not true, the original Arminians said they were not completely sure on this subject.

I might be a four point Arminian, but I am not Pelagian. In fact, Pelagius was not a Pelagian. When a Calvinist says a person is a Pelagian, they mean that person believes they can come to God without God's grace. Pelagius DID NOT believe that, and I certainly do not believe that.

Now, that said, I consider God's Word and preachers who preach his Word to be God's grace. If God did not reveal his Word to ancient prophets, we would all be in darkness and utterly doomed. You cannot believe in Jesus if you have never heard of him.

And I believe the Word of God has the power to pierce to the very core of a man's heart and convict him as a sinner, and to enlighten him to understand salvation by faith in Christ.

But I believe a man has to listen and learn from God's word to be saved (John 6:45). I do not believe God "zaps" you with faith as Calvinism teaches.

Right, no one preaches you have to do good works to be saved, but if a person does not do good works you do not believe he is saved. :rolleyes:

Who are you kidding?

#120 Winman, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.