1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists vs Armenians: A Challenging--But Senseless--Debate

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by jomarc, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a verb. Stop fighting it. Just admit it is a verb and verbs indicate action, IE something you do. :)

2. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    An action on the part of God.

3. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. That is what the bible says.

4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is faith a work or a gift?

So James is literally saying, "works without works is dead."

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation is of the Lord. Not of works lest any man should boast. :)

A response is a noun :)

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are really starting to sound desperate. Just admit an action verb indicates doing something. Don't change the bible to fit your presuppositions. Change your presuppositions to fit the bible. :)

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, he is not. He is saying a true faith is a living, working faith.

John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, surrendering to the will of God is not a work :)

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will respond in depth later...time for bed :)

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also do not equate God’s act of revealing Truth to regeneration, nor that one has to be regenerated so that God can reveal Truth to him.

But I also believe that man cannot but believe when God reveals Truth to them. In other words, when something is revealed to me as being true my response is always to believe (it is an action, a response, born out of what has been revealed to be true).

I believe this is the reason in John 12 that those who saw did not believe. Jesus revealed the truth of who He is by signs and wonders, but the people did not believe. The reason is not that truth was not being revealed but because God had hardened their hearts and blinded their eyes lest they believe and turn to Him and be saved.

So one of our disagreements seems to be exactly what “truth” is revealed by God through the work of the Spirit towards conversion.

I do not believe that it is that we are sinners. The unbeliever may be very aware that he has sinned, and may be sorrowful, but if that is not a sorrow leading to repentance then it leads to death. Men in various religions all over the world seek a savior without seeking Christ. So the awareness that we have sinned is present in all men. What is lacking is not a knowledge of ourselves but the Truth of God. I believe that in conversion the Spirit reveals not man, but God, and that once this Truth is revealed man believes.

For example, if my understanding here is revealed to you as being true, then you cannot but believe it (otherwise, it would not be revealed, but concealed truth). :D

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Active verb. Something you do.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It is God who reveals (an action) Truth. And that Truth revealed, we believe (an action). The difference being between faith/belief (which is not a verb) and believe (which is). Ours is to repent and believe, the product of God’s recreative work in the lives of those who will believe.

God told Israel that He would cause them to walk in His statutes, and they would obey. Their obedience is an action, but not the action that effected their situation. We believe as an action, but an action that is descriptive of the salvation that God has wrought (our act of believing is not separate from our salvation itself).

God is the Author of our Salvation.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To receive Jesus thru/by Faith cannot be a work in sense of us adding to salvation, as God commands sinners to do that to be saved!

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So is placing faith in Christ a response God demands to save us, but it cannot be a good work adding to God grace, as faith is a gift from Him to us who are to get saved, so how can that be us doing a saving work?

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith cannot be a work, as God commands us to repent and believe unto Jesus for salvation!

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith and belief are nouns. To believe (to put your faith in someone) is a verb. I have faith because God has revealed truth to me in such a way as this belief unquestionably exists. God changed my heart and spirit, inclined it towards Him, put His Spirit in me, so that this faith is present within me. This work of God results in my act of believing.

I was always told to make sure I discharged a capacitor by shorting the terminals before working with them. The reason is that they can hold a charge. This is what I was taught and this is what I believed (and taught to my guys). But I’ve also touched hundreds of those suckers without making sure they were discharged and never got shocked. A couple of months ago I removed a capacitor and when I picked it back up I got zapped. This instilled in me a belief, beyond mere instruction, that they will indeed hold a charge. That belief exists, which results in me believing as evidenced by never, never, never touching those things without making sure they are indeed discharged.

Yes, I agree. Faith is not a work of men. It is what God does in the life of men, the means through which God’s grace of salvation is obtained. When I believe I am, in fact, beholding God as the Object of my faith - that is salvation itself, not something I do to be saved.

17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith in jesus is not adding anything to Grace of God, merely conduit the Lord passes Grace thru towards us, correct?

If it was a real work, then either the saved are eternally saved in a real sense at birth, or none would be!

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you think "only" means in that verse?

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not its not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not a liar.
    John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.