1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvin's Institutes

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by robustheologian, Nov 12, 2015.

1. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious...who here has read through all of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion? This isn't just a Calvinist question as I know Arminian brothers/sisters that have read and enjoyed Calvin's Institutes. Also, which translation do you prefer? I favor the McNeill/Battles translation...I don't know why though (probably because that's what we used in seminary).

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have started a dozen times. . .

This is something that I would love to do in community, but there are no takers for that type of thing at my church.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read through the Battles/McNeil version just this past year.

I started a thread to encourage others to read it over a year but it petered out.
    I read faster than I planned.

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  4. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds like a great idea. Is there an Institutes reading plan that everyone could follow?

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #5 Deacon, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  6. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's get this going. Is there a thread we can use to keep up with it...without it getting derailed?

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just remember this is a debate forum. So, anticipate some push back. Then, I'd expect the same amount of push back though from a different quarter on a thread dealing with L.S. Chafer's Systematic Theology.

8. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good one! Really gave me a good laugh!

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've read The Institutes about three times all the way through. Being that I'm not a Calvinist nor Reformed, they don't appeal to me much. Usually I find my way into his commentaries whilst working on sermons or teaching. It is important to read the The Institutes, particularly if you are a Calvinist.

One of the first questions I have for Calvinists when they get all hot and bothered in a debate is whether they've read The Institutes. Usually they haven't, and too often I catch them lying about it.

The McNeill and Battles translation is on my shelf and works fine for me. I've also got the Latin and French versions in a Logos edition which is helpful to compare translations.

Great question for this forum btw.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

We should consider that the brightness of the Divine countenance, which even an apostle declares to be inaccessible,(1 Timothy 6:16,) is a kind of labyrinth, — a labyrinth to us inextricable, if the Word do not serve us as a thread to guide our path; and that it is better
    to limp in the way, than run with the greatest swiftness out of it.
    Hence the Psalmist, after repeatedly declaring (Psalm 93, 96, 97, 99, etc.) that superstition should be banished from the world in order that pure religion may flourish, introduces God as reigning; meaning by the term, not the power which he possesses and which he exerts in the government of
    universal nature, but the doctrine by which he maintains his due supremacy: because error never can be eradicated from the heart of man until the true knowledge of God has been implanted in it.

psalm97;
    7 Confounded be all they that serve graven images, that boast themselves of idols: worship him, all ye gods.

8 Zion heard, and was glad; and the daughters of Judah rejoiced because of thy judgments, O Lord.

9 For thou, Lord, art high above all the earth: thou art exalted far above all gods.

10 Ye that love the Lord, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

psalm96;
    Psalm 96King James Version (KJV)

96 O sing unto the Lord a new song: sing unto the Lord, all the earth.

2 Sing unto the Lord, bless his name; shew forth his salvation from day to day.

3 Declare his glory among the heathen, his wonders among all people.

4 For the Lord is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.

5 For all the gods of the nations are idols: but the Lord made the heavens.

9 O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.

10 Say among the heathen that the Lord reigneth: the world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: he shall judge the people righteously

Psalm 93King James Version (KJV)

93 The Lord reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is stablished, that it cannot be moved.

2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.

11. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is chapter 5, 6 or 7...I just finished those 3 chapters two days ago and I remember reading something like this. However, I'm reading the McNeil/Battles version.

• Like Like x 1
  12. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is so true.

That's the only version I have read and it's working out for me too. Thumbsup

Thanks.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read most of it. We're currently studying it in a Facebook group I belong to.

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, and yes to your choice of which version to read!

Amazing that he could put together such a work devoid of a computer and any modern study tools!

• Like Like x 1