1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvnism getting hammered lately on this board

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by BobRyan, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    plain_n_simple;

Some on BB do offer a scriptural challenge. Their questions are responded to, line by line with verses offered back.

If a poster offers most every verse out of context and not really on topic...there is no place for a response as it becomes incoherent.
    When so many verses are used out of context...it is as if no scripture was offered at all...because when the bible is misused so badly...it is not being used as it is intended to be.

Most every Cal...as Brian has recently expressed would offer help to any who really want help. This is balanced by some scriptural commands;

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
    or here in 2 tim

14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.
    15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

17 And their word will eat as doth a cank
    er: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;

18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

P/S.....we should all be here seeking for truth and interacting in a positive way. Wrong ideas need to be exposed when they show up...by scripture used correctly and in context.

If you notice...when most of the cals do answer with scripture in this way...the other person goes away for several days as they cannot respond, except to accuse the people . Just keep watching for that as you go over the posts...:wavey:

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

In real life this is where we are in the john 12 discusison -

Your complaints against John 12:32 were completely resolved here #102
    Then your next argument that Paul teaches salvation by works in Romans 2 was exposed here #105

After which you basically vacated the field .

How is it that when your solution runs aground on the facts of scripture -- this is "my fault"??

Rather it is up to you to improve your position so you are not so squarely opposing scripture.

obviously.

I have provided other links on this thread to real life examples rather than simply offering polemics about how I wished reality had been.

for example

I appreciate that you are expressing your opinions but at some point actual facts - real links to actual events become significant.

in Christ,

Bob

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not believe nor ever said that Paul teaches salvation by works .
    Romans the way you were misusing it so badly .....you were suggesting a works salvation that's what I said .
    your total misunderstanding of the verse made it seem as if you're using it to say that the Gentiles can be saved by works that was what you were suggesting if you read the post.

your repeated lie about I say that Romans two teaches works salvation was over already refuted and post 106 so why you deliberately lie I I suspect you have nothing else to say.

#23 Iconoclast, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The truth on all of thise from you is NOT how we adress the questions posed to calvinists here, but to you on this all important fact...

Do you hold that we are saved as held by the Gospel of SDA, or by the Gospel of Christ?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I merely quoted part of the chapter. Your response on that thread did not identify a single statement in my post where I misspoke regarding Romans 2 - and we both know it. Rather you simply condemned the entire post - Romans 2 quote and all, limiting yourself to vagaries and general sweeping claims -- no details to support it. And if that satisfies you well then to each his own. I am simply saying that it "exists" - the response was conclusive on my part and you settled for non-factual complaints.

A mere quote of the text was sufficient to give rise to your strong objection to it.

But here again - to each his own.

#25 BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015
  6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice try....but I went an reread it.....I clearly stated that it does not teach salvation by works.....and when you bolded the part about Hebrews 8 you were saying that even without special revelation the gentiles would mystical ly be guided into keeping the law...
    are you incapable of truth?
    All of that being said....you are trying to sneak away from your empty usage of Jn 12...which you still cannot explain......

I am away from a computer at the moment if I have time later on I'll pull up the quote I'll show you exactly what was said exactly how you implied or with teaching a works salvation on the part of the Gentiles
    how that's totally out to lunch and you have no comprehension of the verses you are piecing together as a patchwork quilt theology that doesn't hold any water

#26 Iconoclast, Jan 12, 2015
  7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we are made right with God apart from ANY works of the flesh, which would include keeping the Sabbath then?

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly they would not need to accept challenges if they don't want to.

I was just commenting that the participation level on the currently active threads was limited to a very few Calvinists and most were not active.

I don't recall that being the norm before - but maybe it is the new normal.

Bob

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If we can both agree that Paul is not teaching Salvation by works just because the text may not fit a certain Calvinist POV -- I am more than happy with that.

What Hebrews 8 verse did you mean? Is it Heb 8 or Romans 2 that you are interested/debating? In any case feel free to go to that link and make a point along those lines.

Good idea. Go to that link and make the case.

I will respond "to the details" there, as long as they are made in the text, I tend to let "commentary" go if it is just opinion posting because I think everyone has a right to their opinions.

As of now it is my understanding that -
    Your complaints against John 12:32 were completely resolved here #102
    Then your next argument against Romans 2 was exposed here #105

If there is some detail in those posts that is not correct - please refer to it with quotes - on that thread and I will read it and respond.

Just as I have done whenever applicable quotes are provided on a given subject.
    A perfect example of that is #12

in Christ,

Bob

#29 BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015
  10. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BobRyan

I imagine you would be but I do not agree with you as I suspect you also have no desire to be honest when confronted,,,,you asked for it, here it comes friend:thumbs:

If you cannot even remember what you posted how are you sure that I did not respond....I will refresh your memory

I suggested an answer that you ignored-Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Romans 2 leaves him condemned...as his conscience allows him to do some of the works of the law, but the works of the law cannot save him...he is still guilty and condemned.....

I thought this was clear enough
    [some of the works of the law]
    [but the works of the law cannot save him]
    [he is still guilty and condemned]

to which your reply was you were going to school me...lol

No we were not discussing that....we were discussing jn 12:32...not jn 16, or romans 2...or rev 3:laugh:

-

now you mention the verse,then try and distract again-
    This verse is Jesus speaking to people already in the church....not all men everywhere...
    So far you offer nothing to respond to...this is fluff.

you say nothing here.....:sleeping_2:
    now you say this....

#30 Iconoclast, Jan 12, 2015
  11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Since you choose not to have the discussion on the thread where we were discussing it -- I will respond here.

Which is a nice "quote of you" instead of the actual text of scripture.

I was hoping for a point that is made in the actual text of scripture.

There are more than enough "popes" -- and I think we all know that is true.

I prefer the actual text of scripture -- as it turns out.

Your bible-avoidance method of addressing Romans 2 is not the convincing solution you seem to have at first imagined it to be.

Quote the actual text please to make your case - so far you settle for pontification. I have no doubt that you have your own speculative ideas - but can you show your point "in the actual text"???

Will you at last quote the actual text???

At some point??

to make some sort of sound Bible argument??

Since you avoid the text of Romans and almost every detail in the chapter so far it is difficult to see where you make a point stick.

Are we supposed to be convinced by "pontification alone"???

So far you make all your points about romans 2 by entirely ignoring the details IN the text.

So then - remedial Romans 2 ... next.

in Christ,

Bob

#31 BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015
  12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Notice I provide much more the Romans 2 text to show how it refutes Calvinism -- I don't limit my response to "quoting myself" in Romans 2 - the points I make about Romans 2 are IN Romans 2.

you ask your readers to "imagine" that there is no success examples for both Jews and Gentiles mentioned by Paul in Romans - no gospel solution -- yet "the text" refutes the wild speculation you propose. Note "the details"

Romans 2 demonstrates the very Gospel point you claim does not exist when it comes to your eskimo example - and so now to oppose the Bible on that point - you call Paul's Romans 2 teaching "works based salvation" as if I wrote the chapter and you are free to abuse it

#32 BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015
  13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You object to the Gospel as Paul presents it in Romans 2 (highlighted in red" in the quote above for all to see the glaringly obvious point - so then you blame Romans 2 on me -- as if I wrote it!

How sad - that solution.

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A devastating case in actual scripture -that Calvinism does not appear to survive.

Sadly for your hopeful-speculation John 16 is clearly talking about the "world" and the eskimo example you gave is of someone in that World. Hence you avoid every detail in the actual text of John 16 to argue against it.

The mere quote of it is sufficient to give rise to your strong objection to it.

John 16
    8 And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; 9 concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 and concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me; 11 and concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged.

How sad for Calvinism then that when you claim there is nothing God is doing for that Eskimo example of yours - the Bible refutes that speculation, and how good for that Eskimo -

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BobRyan

As I suspected you lack honesty and cannot deal with a Christian ethic. I showed where you offered a bogus , magical , works based idea for gentile salvation. you ignore it completely. You even questioned that it was you who offered Hebrews 8...and you did.....

The discussion is about your failure to support jn 12: 32...the thread was not an exposition of romans 2. I did give the portion of romans 2 that shows what paul was teaching but you still cannot understand it....instead you repeat your clown like posts then wonder why no one takes you serious.

No one is going to go back to a closed thread. Your response is no response but ignoring what I offered you.
    I understand....I did not claim to have a vision like your prophetess so you cannot read it with understanding...

e details IN the text.[/QUOTE]

Then you quote your foolish posting of out of context verses. That is why no one even reads your posts now:wavey:

16. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    no need to lie...I do not blame romans 2 on anyone....

you still do not understand romans 2.....

this is not the gospel.....

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    no text to make your point it is all polemic, all vitriol, mere pontification -- why keep doing that?.

No I offered quotes from actual Bible texts - you responded with nothing but vitriol, and pontification. If you don't want to deal with the texts just say so.

I have not quoted Heb 8 ... nor have you.. But you insert it into your vitriol as if this is helping your argument to attack Heb 8 along with Romans 2.

Rather I point to the "details" in Romans 2 that align with Heb 8.

The discussion was about your attack against john 12 where you argue that it cannot mean what it says - I show actual exegesis in explaining how the statement made in John 12 is supported in scripture.

Your nonsensical response was that to show how this fits in the rest of scripture is not the right way to oppose John 12. I don't doubt your opposition to it - I simply point out that it fits with the rest of scripture.

You were not serious about romans 2 and had to make your entire case by ignoring the chapter almost completely. We already saw that.

I just added another post on that thread about 40 minutes ago. #149

it was closed??

It is not closed even now.

Details matter.

in Christ,

Bob

#37 BobRyan, Jan 12, 2015
  18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [BobRyan

you offer nothing to respond to...I did not need to make any point...your posts are incoherent....no vitriol....no need to lie.

-
    quoting verses out of context....does nothing..

the discussion has nothing to do with it. When you failed to support jn 12...I guess you had to try something....

not at all...only in your mind.

-

I know what jn 12 means...you do not.I do not need to attack jn 12...I am okay with the teaching.

you have not done so at all.

because you cannot grasp it does not make anything nonsensical

anyone who reads romans 2 understands what it is about, except for you evidently...the portion I offered explains itself...to Christian readers.

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I guess you have been drinking tea????

Tea and coffee drinking is a sin, an injurious indulgence, which like other evils, injures the soul." (Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 425, written in 1896).

As ludicrous as it seems today, Ellen White specifically stated that tea, as a beverage, "loosens tongues" and contributes to gossip: "When these tea and coffee users meet together for social entertainment, the effects of their pernicious habit are manifest. All partake freely of the favorite beverages, and as the stimulating influence is felt, their tongues are loosened, and they begin the wicked work of talking against others." (Counsels on Diet and Foods, p. 423, written in 1890

Is that why you twist my posts?:laugh::laugh:

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    or..do you also struggle with vinegar?
    "I had indulged the desire for vinegar. But I resolved with the help of God to overcome this appetite. I fought the temptation, determined not to be mastered by this habit. For weeks I was very sick; but I kept saying over and over, The Lord knows all about it. If I die, I die; but I will not yield to this desire. The struggle continued, and I was sorely afflicted for many weeks. All thought that it was impossible for me to live. You may be sure we sought the Lord very earnestly. The most fervent prayers were offered for my recovery. I continued to resist the desire for vinegar, and at last I conquered. Now I have no inclination to taste anything of the kind. This experience has been of great value to me in many ways. I obtained a complete victory." (Ellen G. White, letter 70, 1911, reproduced in Counsels on Diet and Foods, page 485).