1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Camp Zion, Myrtle MS.

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Rhetorician, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey all you IBFers out there!!

Have any of you ever heard or been to Camp Zion in Myrtle, MS?

If you have any comments or opinions get back when you can.

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

2. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yep. Hope it's the same as I heard it was when it was first started.

3. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Big part of my early life.................

Yup, I grew up knowing Percy Ray who was personal friends with my Dad. After preaching under a tent on hot Southern nights, he would give me big, sweaty bearhugs. I can still remember the smell of his aftershave.

I remember an incident one night when Percy and my Dad were talking about taking the tent down the next day. I laid hold on the nearby stake puller and began pulling up stakes. Percy yelled, "Whoa boy! You're gonna bring down the tent on top of us now." My Dad was angry with me but Percy laughed and gave me a big hug to show that he wasn't upset.

Yes, I've been to Camp Zion too. I have a lots of good stories and fond memories. I remember Gray Allison telling how he came to Myrtle, MS for Percy's advice and counsel before starting Mid-America. Percy said, "Let's go up to Bethel and pray about it." Afterwards, Percy got up off his knees and said, "Do it."

Also, I remember how intense and serious Percy was about his preaching. He would not let anything interfere or distract. He spent much time alone in earnest prayer and meditation immediately before each service. Usually, he did not sit on the platform during the preliminaries but he came in just as the service began and sat alone on the front pew praying. When he stepped to the pulpit, he was primed to preach and immediately began his sermon with the barest civilities. After the service, Percy was very personable, sociable and affable.

Rhet, what's your connection?