1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Campbell Divinity School

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by panicbird, Mar 26, 2005.

1. panicbird

panicbird New Member

There was a thread on this about three years ago. Instead of resurrecting that one, I decided to start afresh.

I have heard that this is a fairly moderate-liberal school. I would like to see proof of this (or proof against it). I know of their affiliation with CBF (a pretty big indicator of where they are theologically), and have looked at their required reading lists (this may or may not be an indicator, as a professor need not agree with everything written in a book he uses for a class). Aside from these two things, what makes Campbell moderate-liberal?

I am thinking of going there for an M.Div. I am quite conservative myself, secure in my conservativeness (is that a word?). I am also a Calvinist, secure in my Calvinistness (I KNOW that is not a word). I have no delusions that Campbell is secretly a conservative, Calvinistic school, but does it offer a somewhat biblically-based, solid theological education? Would someone with my views be welcomed, simply tolerated, or unwelcomed completely there? I am not talking about theoretically (as in, not just what the administration says); I mean, how is it in class? In discussion, are conservative views presented well as part of the discussion, or are they straw men laughed off? In papers, if you disagree with the professor are you graded harder? How is it there? Does Campbell give you a good education, one with which someone could go on and do further higher education work (Ph.D., etc.)?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Lon

P.S. Let's please not turn this into a liberal-conservative debate. There is a place for that, but this thread is not it. [​IMG]

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard that this is a fairly moderate-liberal school. I would like to see proof of this (or proof against it).

==I had an interview w/ Cogdill at Campbell Divinity a few years ago (when I was looking for a school), and my brother attended Campbell. I think I would classify the school as moderate (not liberal). If you want one specific reason I would classify the school in that way I can't give you one. Why not? Because it was just the general atmosphere of the school. They are not liberal because they do hold to basic Christian doctrine.

I am thinking of going there for an M.Div. I am quite conservative myself, secure in my conservativeness (is that a word?).

==I considered it at one time as well. The school is not liberal, and they are certainly not running anyone away from the faith. There would be nothing wrong with getting a MDiv at Campbell. However there are other schools in the area (ie...Southeastern) that are much more conservative.

In the end, however, I would urge you to go where God leads you. If that is to Campbell than I say great! God bless you in your studies.

I have no delusions that Campbell is secretly a conservative, Calvinistic school, but does it offer a somewhat biblically-based, solid theological education?

==Yes.

Would someone with my views be welcomed, simply tolerated, or unwelcomed completely there? I am not talking about theoretically (as in, not just what the administration says); I mean, how is it in class?

==There are conservatives there, I know. How that plays out in class however is something I have never experienced first hand. I don't know for sure, but does not Campbell have days where prospective students can come to the campus, attend classes, etc? Most schools do.

Does Campbell give you a good education, one with which someone could go on and do further higher education work (Ph.D., etc.)?

==A MDiv is the pre-req. for most Theological PhDs. You should check with the school(s) you are considering getting a PhD from to make sure the Campbell program meets their entrance demands. The school is accredited by SACS and ATS, so it will be widely accepted as far as that is concerned. However you should still check with any prospective PhD schools. That is always the best advice.

I hope that helps.
    Martin.

ps...what about Dallas, Southwestern, or New Orleans?

3. panicbird

panicbird New Member

Thanks for your help Martin.

I know about Southeastern and, of the schools in NC, it is number one or two on my list of the best ones, but the problem for me is location. I live about an hour from Campbell and two hours from Southeastern. With gas prices going up (and likely to continue), I am looking at other options right now. Moving is not an option as I am the associate pastor of a church and have no plans to leave (I just started in September, 2004).

Campbell does have a prospective student day. It was two days ago. I found this out yesterday, so I missed it. I will probably go up there and try to meet with someone. Also, Cogdill is the interim pastor of a church not to far from me, so I may try to have lunch with him one Sunday.

Again, thanks Martin.

Anyone else?

Lon