1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

can A baptist Believe In Theistic Evolution?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

The gap theory is wrong as well. You are correct that those that believe the gap theory deny the Genesis account. Those that believe in evolution deny the Genesis account as well. Thanks for making that point!

So the LORD scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.

The Genesis account clearly tells us how God created everything. You continue to attempt to add your own into the mix and deny what is clearly written.

2. matt wade

You still fail. Go back and re-read the thread.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Actually, many believe this is explained in scripture. In Gen 10:25 it says the earth was divided. This agrees with science that there was once only one continent (Pangaea) that divided into smaller continents and are now drifting apart (continental drift).

Gen 10:25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.

If Gen 10:25 is describing the breakup up the original one continent, this easily explains how men were found living in the Americas and elsewhere.

4. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I am of the Intelligent Design/Theistic Evolution flavor. I accept the criticisms and disagreements with that stance by many of my fellow believers. I only ask that no one question the sincerity of my (or anyone's else) faith in Christ and or the God of the Bible. I have not commented much due to it being a hot button issue for many and we all know we have plenty of heat from the C vs. A discussions. I do appreciate and respect each person's conviction and passion as to the "how" of creation. We ALL understand the "WHO" of creation and if nothing else agree on that point.

Mercy, peace and Love in abundance.

5. matt wade

If you can't believe that God created things as is stated in the Genesis account, then you don't have the correct "WHO". The "WHO" of the Genesis account was able to do things that your "WHO" can't. Your "WHO" is incapable of creating everything in a literal 6 days. You created this "WHO" that is not God Almighty.

6. Gabriel Elijah

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quantum—although I personally disagree with your conclusion—I have no doubt that you are saved-- & respect your personal convictions---Im just glad on an issue as minute as this we can agree 2 disagree---- & see each other 1 day in heaven!

7. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :applause::applause::applause::applause: Amen! I think this whole "Theistic evolution" bunk was invented so un-believing non-Christians would find the Creation story more "believable" Sorry, "doubting world", and apparently some "doubting" Christians, MY God can do it it all in just six literal days just like Scripture says He did.

#47 Baptist4life, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2011
  8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well my goodness...the Hebrew word that is translated in English as day is yome. Now yome can mean a 24 hour day, a literal day, and it can also mean an indeterminate period of time, a figurative day. So Christian theistic evolution folk can claim just as accurately as the literal day folk that they are not doubting Genesis, but just see it differently.

Honest folk on each side and both are Christian.

9. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ".....and the evening and the morning were the first DAY............."

......seems pretty clear to me.

10. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no evening or morning before the sun is created.

I do not know what the light was that is spoken of here, but it is not the sun. The sun was not created until the 4th day:

Even God says time is to be measured from the sun. So, before the sun was created there was no time in the sense we understand it.

Blessings

11. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exodus 20:9–11

9 Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

I'll take God's Word for it, not try to make it "fit" into the world's theology.

#51 Baptist4life, Mar 19, 2011
  12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens (Genesis 2:4)

Were the heavens and the earth created in "generations" or in ONE DAY?

13. Baptist4life

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them................

WHY does everyone try to make God's Creation take longer than six literal days? Don't you believe that God, who is all powerful and far beyond our capability to understand, could do it in six days? He could have spoken the entire creation into existence in a single breath!

#53 Baptist4life, Mar 19, 2011
  14. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens (Genesis 2:4)

Generations? One day? Six days?

15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed, so why does the Bible say it was generations AND one day AND six days?

16. quantumfaith

And many "who cast stones" know or understand little of science, particularly with respect to "relativity" and time passage rates. It is certainly a distinct pssibility for "six days" and 13.78 billion (our years) to be equivalent, and there have been more than a few christian physicists to demonstrate that possibility.

17. quantumfaith

Matt,

My "WHO" is entirely capable of doing "whatsoever he willeth" in anyway he willeth. I do not appreciate your attempt to imply that I worship a "different god" than do you, thereby seemingly implying my guilt of idolatry. I will assume you did not mean that, and certainly hope not.

18. matt wade

Then why do you think that your "WHO" is not capable of a literal 6 day creation? Explaining away a literal 6 day creation with gap theories or theistic evolution is simply not believing that your "WHO" is capable.

19. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see how. In order to believe in theistic evolution, you'd essentially have to tear out the first eleven chapters of the Bible, Romans 5, and other passages, which detail such things as the nature of man, the entrance of sin into creation, and God's plan of redemption.

Among the many questions theistic evolution raises is, "If sin and death entered into creation by Adam's sin (Romans 5), then what happened to all of the unevolved people who lived before Adam's fall?"

20. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

This is a complete misrepresentation of the point. Nobody is saying God can't. Neither are they explaining away a "literal 6-day creation." The text here is very tough exegetically, oscillating between genres and voices.

Do I believe that a Baptist can believe in theistic evolution? Yes. "Should they" is a whole different question, which I'm not prepared to address.