1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CAN A CHRISTIAN BE POSSESSED/DEMONIZED?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by ROBERTGUWAPO, Feb 5, 2002.

1. aiki

aiki Member

There is a verse that warns, "Neither give place to the devil..." (Eph. 4:27) I've heard it taught that the phrase "give place" in this verse literally means "to give legal license to possess ground". The implication of this is that all evil activities give Satan a legal right to ground in a life, upon which he builds strongholds. The greater ground he has and the bigger strongholds he builds on it increases his influence over an individual (to the point of reprobation, I suppose). Whether or not this leads to some degree of possession I don't know, but it seemed to me this stuff might be of interest to this thread.

I'm not entirely convinced of the validity of this view...

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing that Koch elucidated were multiple levels of consciousness or existence.

I accepted his explanations because this is certainly testified of in the Scriptures by statements such as Romans 7:25, "I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin;" and 2 Corinthians 12:2, "I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth; ) such an one caught up to the third heaven."

Now, some fringe elements like to focus on Scriptures like this above all else. I realize that, but we cannot ignore the fact that we have a body, a soul and a spirit.

The body is still under the law. It is still under the curse and must be buffeted to bring it into subjection, but our minds and our spirits are set free from the law of sin and death.

It is a fact that God can, and does, deliver disobedient children to Satan to discipline them and to destroy the flesh, for He commands the church to do the same with unrepentant members.

Some may argue that isn't real possession, but they merely quibble over semantics.

In my view anyway.

BTW, RG, I disagree that Satan has access to heaven. It says in Job "sons of God," not angels, and the location is not specified.

[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Aaron ]

3. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dear Aaron,

Here's one view of Matthew Henry about the Job verse: "A meeting of the angels in heaven. They are the sons of God, ch. 38:7. They came to give an account of their negotiations on earth and to receive new instructions. Satan was one of them originally; but how hast thou fallen, O Lucifer! He shall no more stand in that congregation, yet he is here represented, as coming among them, either summoned to appear as a criminal or connived at, for the present, though an intruder." <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    BTW, RG, I disagree that Satan has access to heaven. It says in Job "sons of God," not angels, and the location is not specified.[ February 08, 2002: Message edited by: Aaron ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

4. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dear Chris:

If unholy priests could enter the temple except the Holy of Holies compartment, then by analogy, unholy spirits could enter a disobedient Christian's temple, except the exact place where the Holy Spirit resides. If the original temple was compartmentalized (outer court, inner court, Holy of Holies), so is ours: body, soul, spirit.

It just so happens that the Temple is not ONE big room.

Dear Gina:

There are indeed Christians who dabble in the occult, listen to rock music, and even engage in adultery. Engaging in the occult is just no different from having affairs.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Temple:
    The Lord does not share living space in his temple; even unholy priests could not enter the holy of holies: will God let a demon enter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROBERTGUWAPO:
    Dear Chris:

If unholy priests could enter the temple except the Holy of Holies compartment, then by analogy, unholy spirits could enter a disobedient Christian's temple, except the exact place where the Holy Spirit resides. If the original temple was compartmentalized (outer court, inner court, Holy of Holies), so is ours: body, soul, spirit.

It just so happens that the Temple is not ONE big room.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there ONE place in the believer where the Spirit dwells? Is it the physical heart (organ)? This is getting silly.

Why is there no Scriptural support for a possessed believer? The believer is sealed by the Holy Spirit of God.

Romans 8 tells us:

30 And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.
    31 ¶ What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who is against us?
    35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
    38 For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
    39 nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Does that sound like God will allow a demon to possess one of His own?

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing...

7. Kathy

Kathy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:
    Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's talking about his flesh...no good comes from the flesh. We are all sinners in the flesh, it is our nature, goes all the way back to the beginning in Genesis. Are you implying that because my flesh is sinful that I am possessed of the Devil?

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

[ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Gina ]

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kathy:

He's talking about his flesh...no good comes from the flesh. We are all sinners in the flesh, it is our nature, goes all the way back to the beginning in Genesis. Are you implying that because my flesh is sinful that I am possessed of the Devil?

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please!

The posts above were implying that the Holy Ghost dwelt in our flesh.

10. Kathy

Kathy New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aaron:

Please!

The posts above were implying that the Holy Ghost dwelt in our flesh.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you don't have to get all fiesty on me. I was genuinely wondering, not being sarcastic :rolleyes:

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thank you! Me too!

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

13. lidia

lidia Guest

Well, all this discussion about demons seems a little beside the point, because it cannot be proven either way. Demons are not subect to study in any sort of rational way. Some say yes, some say no, but you won't find an emergency room anywhere in the country that has a procedure for dealing with people who are demon possessed. This makes me think that only the deeply, fantatical religious people are the only ones seeing demons.

14. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lidia:
    This makes me think that only the deeply, fantatical religious people are the only ones seeing demons.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must one see demons for them to be active? I suspect much of psychotherapy is so ineffective because they are treating people based upon naturalism with no regard for the spiritual.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lidia,

The weapons of our warfare are not carnal. We don't wrestle agains flesh and blood, but against principalities, powers and spiritual wickedness in high places.

A hospital emergency room can only treat the flesh. There is no physical weapon against demons.

So, to say that because you cannot see it then it doesn't exist is only the most irrational statement one can make.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    anyway,

quit looking in emergency rooms for demons. Step out into the mission fields and you will find evidence enough.

17. Mark Twain

Mark Twain Guest

I was once demon possessed but then when I was saved, the demon left immediately. Praise the lord.

18. ROBERTGUWAPO

ROBERTGUWAPO Member

Dear Mark and others:

Let us continue to maintain our good standing in Christ. Backsliding and open sin, according to many pastors who have experience in the deliverance ministry, open "doorways" which give Satan and his minions legal right to create spiritual strongholds and bondages.

According to Christian deliverance ministers, the following activities are guaranteed to lead to demonization:

1. Possession and reading of super-occult books such as the Necronomicon. Ownership of such books is 100% guaranteed to welcome evil into our lives: accidental deaths of loved ones, hauntings, "poltergeist" activity.
    2. Occult games such as the Ouija Board.
    3. Drugs.
    4. Participation in unbiblical practices such as SLAYING IN THE SPIRIT. The reason a Christian who happens to be "slayed" (I'm not talking about those who are pushed back) cannot stand up and is dead-drunk is because a counterfeit spirit has entered. Now, why did God permit this? Don't ask me. I say why did God permit his Temple to be defiled in Ezekiel by warlocks and evil spirits?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Twain:
    I was once demon possessed but then when I was saved, the demon left immediately. Praise the lord.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

19. Mark Twain

Mark Twain Guest

I am sure you are right. What happened to me was that one night I went to a movie about demon possession and the very next month, I fell and broke my arm. What greater proof could anyone want about the evil effects of things having to do with the occult. In order to protect myself, I now wear a magnetic bracelet that wards off evil spirits. It must work, because nothing bad has happened to me since I got it. Only paid $399 for it, too. But I can't tell whether the bracelet is protecting me or whether it is my daily bible reading. What do you think, Robert?

20. Glory Bound

Glory Bound New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Twain:
    In order to protect myself, I now wear a magnetic bracelet that wards off evil spirits. It must work, because nothing bad has happened to me since I got it. Only paid $399 for it, too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got to share that braclet, Mark! Do they sell those at Amazon.com? Since yours is proven to work, where can the rest of us get one? :D