1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Christian ever be demon posessed?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Precepts, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Precepts

Precepts New Member

There was a statement made in another of the multitudes of threads about the "Passion" movie that a Christian cannot be demon posessed. I'd like to see the movie myself, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money to help promote hellywood, I've got the true account without any discrepencies right here in my Bible.

On the contrary I know quite a few Christians that show much fruit of the Spirit, yet they seem full of the devil at times.

Let me be clear, I don't believe a Christian can be posessed by demons, but I do believe they can act in ways that might make you think otherwise.

All I am asking is for Scripture that proves that a Christian cannot be demon posessed. I'm not asking for conjecture about the Scripture but the specifics. [​IMG]

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Precepts, just out of curiosity, do you avoid movies as a rule?

To the point at hand, I think a lot of people (too many, in fact) look for Satan under every rock, to the point that they will look for the Devil where he isn't. A Spirit-filled Christian can, because that person is inhierently a sinner, often do things that would "seem" that they are full of the devil, but that which seems so is not. No one is sinless, hence, no one is immune to the "invluence" of evil. But that is a far cry from being demon possessed.

I, too, generally don't believe that a person filled with the Holy Spirit is subject to demon possession.

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

So then, you complain about Hollywood, but when somebody in Hollywood does something Christians can get behind, you ignore it.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"?

May I ask what "discrepencies" the movie contains and how you know this, since you haven't seen the movie?

That's not the same as demon possession.

I guess the most obvious question here is, how can you believe that a Christian, who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit by possessed? Is there room for both the Holy Spirit and evil spirits? Is the Holy Spirit just not doing His job or something?

I mean, 1 Cor 3:16 is rather clear on this, isn't it?

4. timothy 1769

timothy 1769 New Member

1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

5. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Who said I ignore it? I simply stated that I wouldn't spend the money to go see it. All the movie is, is another helleywood production.

Have you ever heard of staying on topic and not post things in an effort to steer the thread away from it?

Yes, I've heard the little saying. I'm not against the Gospel and the account of Calvary and i don't believe in spending what the Lord has given me to promote the movie is all. I can remain nuetral can't I?
    I never said the movie has any discrepencies, I clearly said my Bible account has none. Amidst all the allegations "Passion" has discrepencies is what has controlled your reaction as it has and caused you to continue to try and steer this thread back towards your arguement with other members about the movie.

Hint: The topic of this thread is "Can a Christian ever be demon posessed?" So my question now could be, What is posessing your to turn this thread into a discussion about the movie? Demons?
    O.k., where's your scripture and what do you call it then? Glad to see you get back on topic.
    I don't believe a Christian can be demon posessed, but now you place the blame of the indwelling of the Holy Ghost as if He is not able to cause the Christian to withstand temptations and thus commit sin. I believe a Christian can be influenced by demons to gossip, tell lies, cheat his brethren, think himself more highly than he ought, etc. Is it the Holy Ghost's "fault" the Christian does these things?

I Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

Good scripture, but I don't see anything there that declares a Christian cannot be posessed by demons at the same time.

Posessesion seems to denote control, but I believe the Spirit has that control in the Christian's heart, but that does not rule out the evidences of those that go contrary to the Spirit and one commits sin.

The flesh is not saved, it is neither eradicated in the life of the Christian, if anything the flesh is demon posessed.

Still, I am asking for scripture that tells us specifically that the Christian cannot be demon posessed?

6. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Wonderful scripture,, but the question arises how do you explain the sins a Christian does commit inspite of what that scripture says?

Then we need to kinow what the phrase means, "and that wicked one toucheth him not"

In what way does this mean the "wicked one" cannot touch the Christian?

7. Servent

Servent Member

!john 1:5 This then is the message which we have heard of Him and declare unto you that GOD is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.

If GOD the Holy Spirit truly dwells in us, the Holy Spirit being the third person of the trinity and there is no darkness in God, how can a christian be demon poessed.

8. Servent

Servent Member

Oppressed yes poessed no way. As christians we have the Holy Spirit in us, but we still have a choice to make in every thing we do and we will mess it up, but just because we mess up does not mean we are demon poessed.
    This is why I dont believe christians have free will, but free choice. everthing we do is infulinced by something be it good or evil.

9. Precepts

Precepts New Member

I John is wonderful scripture, ain't it! [​IMG]

10. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

You know what I meant.

But you're the one who brought it up in the opening post. Therefore, it is on topic.

And you choose to curse the darkness, rather than being the one to light the candle?

But you're not remaining neutral. Most of your whole OP was discussing your biases.

Actually, what you said was,

This implies that you believe that the movie has "discrepencies".

Actually, the only thing that has controlled my reaction is my own restraint. If you read my posts in thread after thread after thread on this movie, you'll see that I've said up front that I cannot comment on the movie one way or the other because I have not seen it. To this end, you'll see that I have not commented on it.

In addition to the above comments, if you had read my posts before responding to them, you would see that I haven't made an argument one way or the other in favor or against the movie.

Then why did you bring up the movie since this was your thread and it was up to you to set the tone?

There is no verse of scripture that says, "A Christian cannot be demon possessed". However, we can, from a careful reading of the texts that I and others have brought up, infer that Christians cannot be demon possessed.

Do you know what a rhetorical question is?

No, it is crucified.

Perhaps you could provide scripture that tells us a Christian can be or an example that a demon can inhabit what the Holy Spirit already inhabits.

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

1 Corinthians 6:19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

Phillipians 1:18 What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed; and in this I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, 19 for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, 20 according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.