1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can A Christian refuse believers baptism And not be Sinning?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not but if thats your thinking process....Ohhhh boy :laugh:

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You don't bellieve that if we break one command we are guilty of all and Baptism is a command?

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Do you still confess the Baptist faith?

1 Peter 3:
    20 to those who were disobedient long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water, 21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God.[Or but an appeal to God for a clear conscience] It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at God’s right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him.

When I read this scripture it shown me where I was without water Baptism having no clear conscience. If they feel right before God without water baptism that is for them not me. I gave my testimony where I was without water baptism.

#23 psalms109:31, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am baptistic yes but that does not save me.... does it save you?

6. psalms109:31

1. Of or pertaining to or characteristic of the Baptist church.[Wordnet]
    2. Of or for baptism; baptismal.[Websters].

No, it is this is for Baptist only area

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And your point is? :laugh:

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some children know they are believers and even share their faith but are afraid of the water.

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The only way we can know according to scripture is if we are keeping to commandments (1 John 2:4). Baptism is a command. If a person is refusing baptism even for fear then they will not have assurance that they are saved. They will always have doubt until they take care of what God calls them to do.

10. psalms109:31

If they have a clear conscience with God and their church have a clear conscience with them than praise God for them , but it isn't for me, myself not them and my faith with God.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Historical NT Baptism was a situation where a new believer could be executed for naming Christ as Lord and in essence renouncing the emperor as lord. How many in America give evidence of their faith in trust in Jesus publicly by naming Christ as Lord. Most "baptisms" are done in an enclosed building in front of people who are "safe". Is that truly baptism? That may just be a dunk in the water.

12. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent...:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Biblical baptism is the outward act showing an inward work of God while proclaiming Jesus as Lord and is the first command a new believer has.

14. psalms109:31

We who are lead by the Spirit do what He is leading us to and no one should stand in the way of God. My faith and Christ lead me to water baptism. If they feel that is OK not to be baptized then that is for them not me.

#34 psalms109:31, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  15. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Can A Christian refuse believers baptism And not be Sinning

Can a Christian disobey God and not be sinning?

No, they would be sinning because they are disobeying God. Their misinterpretation of the Scripture doesn't change the fact that we are to be baptized after we are saved. Truth is truth.

16. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Again, there are MANY christians who are persuaded by their own traditions and by their own Bible study that their batism as an infant by sprinkling WAS valid, and that God honors that, and that they are not sinning against the Lord by refusing to adult baptise!

IF persuaded in their own mind, andnot in a gulit stae before the Lord, since are saved same way we are, by God/faith ALONE, why make them unsaved?

IF they want to become baptists, then need to rebaptise, but if not baptists?

17. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Please see post #36!

Seperating this between Christian not baptist, and those who are in the answer!

18. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

So obedience is relative?

19. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I see three options here:

1. There is ONE correct mode of baptism, and whichever church practices that is in obedience, and all other churches their members are in a state of continual disobedience to God, even though it is based on their understanding of scripture and their desire to actually obey scriptures.
    -This raises questions about which practices of the NT church we place in this category...are non-congregational churches in a state of continual sin? Do those churches who do not "hold all things in common" in sin? Are churches who don't use real wine in sin? Are churches that don't wash feet in sin? what about churches that do wash feet?

2. There is one correct mode of baptism, but those churches and Christians that practice a different form of baptism are trying their best to obey what they understand to be the truth, and so are not sinning.
    -This raises questions about other issues. What if someone truly believes that thier committed, monogomous homosxual relationship is condoned by scripture...are they not sinning until they understand that it is sin?

3. There are multiple CORRECT modes of Baptism and God doesn't really care which mode we use, or when it is perfomed (infancy or post-conversion). Or, God wants it to be post-convesion, but mode (sprinkling, pouring) or multiple immersion make no difference to God.

Which of these is closest to the truth? Or is it some more nuanced combination of them?

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is what is done in most Baptist churches today truly baptism especially considering historical baptism? Studies that have been done in a particular denomination I am aware of revealed that there were some who were "baptized" up to five times.