1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Christian sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Let me try and spell it out for those that may not have followed the logic to my questions.

It is held by many, including all Calvinists, that Christ has literally paid for sins on the cross. They maintain that all sins of the believer, including past, present, and future have been atoned for. If in fact they are atoned for in the literal sense that Calvinism suggests, they would not, nor could they ever be held against the ones for whom Christ died?

Scripture states that when God forgives He casts those sins into the sea of forgetfulness never to be remembered again. If the position of a literal payment is correct, Christ would forgive and forget sins before they were even committed. God’s law would have no bearing upon such sins nor would any established penalty for sin be possibly inflicted. God could not even remember them to inflict a penalty if the position we are addressing is true.

That leads me to the questions I asked. I asked, “Can God forget something before it happens??” If in fact God forgave and forgot sins on the cross two thousand years before they happened, is my question not a valid one?

I also asked if in fact “according to Scripture, can it be said that God forgave a sin that He still remembers??” God alone is responsible for attaching the word sin to any intent or action. God alone will be the judge of all sin. Can He remember any sins, even to chastise a believer for committing sin, if in fact He did as He promised He does and forgets all sins that have been forgiven and are under the blood? When one tells us that a believer is chastised for sin by God, does that not make God to be seen as completely inconsistent with His own Word of 'forgetting all sins that have been forgiven,' past, present, and future as we so often hear? I am certain DHK would ask if that makes God out to be a liar. Well, does it?

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I don't think God literally forgets those sins. It means He is not holding those sins against the people who committed them. Either God is omniscient or He is not.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

However, you habitually use this one verse "go and sin no more" which was given to an adulterous woman, living in the time of Christ, a command given to her not to live in adultery any more, and turn it on every situation applicable today. That is not proper hermeneutics.
    Jesus was not saying to me and you: "go and sin no more." He was saying that to that sinful woman only. Don't take Scripture out of its context. Why are taking a statement stated to an adulterous woman and applying it to everyone else on the board. We are not adulterous women! :BangHead:

There are other Scripture that have similar principles. The Bible does teach us not to sin. But don't take Scripture out of context to prove your point.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, please answer the following scripture. Is is as important as any other scripture in the Bible.

1Jo 3:9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

BBob,

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Then it should be no problem for you to answer where you and others got the scripture of "habitual sin". That is all we ask.

Also, HP asked a very important question. If your sins are all covered at the cross, how come the chastisement???

And if no "chastisement" are we all bastards??

You doctrine is full of holes and will not hold water. You love to say all your sins are covered, but then you say by eating the bread unworthily, brings premature physical death. of if we sin 10 and 3/4 times we go too far, even though, they are covered at the cross. Does not hold water. Is wishy washy. You can take comfort that you are not alone though. But is unsound doctrine, don't care who says it.

BBob,

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mat 25:44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Mat 25:45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.

Mat 25:46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

You said not visiting the sick is a sin NOT unto death. Jesus said they will go to everlasting punishment. How do you reconcile?

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sin is the transgression of the law. ALL sin is a transgression of the law.

A police office does not pull you over and say..... "I am giving you a chastisment fine for driving 44 in a 45 zone. You didn't break any law but nonetheless you must pay a penalty"...... Make good sense to you?

The entire law is summed up in this commandment..."Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if [there be] any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

"LOVE" is the law. Whatever specific unrighteousness one commits, it will be because one did not love God with ALL their heart, soul and mind or they did not love thy neighbour as thyself.

I fail to love to the fullest of the God's standard probably most everyday, this because I am stuck in this body of death. However, I work and strive to keep this commandment each and every day.

:thumbs:

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why should we visit the sick BBob?

Is it because Jesus said to do so?

Jhn 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Failure to do as Jesus said to do is breaking the law, the first commandment of love.

Love is not just that warm fuzzy feeling you feel inside towards Jesus Christ, it is obedience and Jesus gave us His words to KEEP! If ye love Him then KEEP His words.

Don't KEEP His words and you have failed to love Him. We all fail to love Him from time to time and if we really scrutinized ourselves we would most likely look like we don't love Him much at all. Sad, isn't it?

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can a Christian sin?

Of course.

Can and do.

10. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, you are saying you are a rapist, because you offend in one point. Must be bad neighborhood. I would not want you as a neighbor, know that you are capable of rape. If what you say is true, that you are guilty in all points.

BBob,

#90 Brother Bob, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Well, we sin but wondering what sins you commit?? Do you rape?

BBob,

12. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An understanding of the Greek poieo is key to understanding this verse. This word has the idea of "abiding" or "banding together." One could certainly draw the conclusion that "habitual" sin is the idea.

This verse, as well as verses 4 & 8 use the linear present active indicative to confirm that it is indeed a prolonged, habitual action that is being discussed. Paul repeats John's idea in Romans 6:1 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?"

The same word, poieo, is used in Matthew 7:24 "Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth [poieo] them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:" This, also, is a continuous action. To be wise, we must "abide" or "band together" with the teachings of Christ.

As Christians, we do not "abide" or "band together" with a sinful practice. When it is shown to be sin, we immediately cease that practice.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I posted this earlier and I know you saw it because you quoted my post but seemed to ignore this verse:
    "If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1.8

I think we have to look at 1 John in its whole aspect and in context with the rest of scripture. We cannot go on sinning and think it's okay; we cannot think it's okay to give in to sin. But I don't think the NT is telling us that if a Christian sins they are not a Christian. In fact, this verse says the opposite. Further in 1 John it says to confess our sins.

I asked you this but you have not answered:
    What in your view comprises the inward man vs. the outward man?

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

This is what I was saying but without being as scholarly or able to explain it as well.

To Brother Bob (not Pastor Bob):
    Many believe that part of 1 John was written to refute the early Gnostic teachings (thus you have the 1 John 4.3 verse about denying that Jesus came in the flesh). Some of the Gnostic teachings resulted in the idea that since the body was evil or didn't matter, one could do anything one wanted with it. This led to licentiousness, something also addressed in Corinthians. In fact, it seems much of the NT (after the Gospels and Acts) was written to refute false teachings (amazing how God used evil for good!).

So 1 John is urging believers to avoid thinking it's okay to sin, or that it doesn't matter, and to not fall into sin as an okay thing. Apparently, they were not showing love to each other as much as they should have either, since there is a lot about loving our brothers and sisters in Christ in this book as well.

Of course, for us today this is still applicable because it's easy to stray and to rationalize sin. We need constant reminders to avoid sin, to not give in to it, and to remember how evil it is.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The inward man is "born again" has a heart, mind and soul, which are spiritual. The outward man, has a carnal mind, heart and flesh, which has not been "born again" but kept by the inward man. He that is within you is stronger than he that is in the world.

When I die, I believe my inward man (soul, spiritual mind and spiritual heart) are on its way to Heaven to be with Christ. I will not need any change or nothing, just the angels to carry it home. It has already been cleaned up and without sin.

BBob,

#96 Brother Bob, Aug 14, 2008
  17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree with this, but God show you it is sin from the getgo.

Pastor Bob, do you deny that the passages and word poieo, instead of speaking of continueing in sin, is saying that we do not continue in sin. Do you deny that??

We all have a tendecy to quote what helps our case or theology, without going all the way.
    Romans 6:
    1: What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
    2: God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

If you continue with the same scripture, it seems to cut sin out all together, absolutely no "habitual". Do you agree or not.

Pastor Bob;
    What does poieo have to do with "habitual sin", it is not even about sin. Where did you come up with that?? Man!!!! is that way off base. So Marcia, that was what you were trying to say? Not me.

How did you bring "poieo" into a discussion of "habitual sin"???

Το λεξικό βρήκε 1 λέξη.
    The dictionary found 1 word.
    ποιέω= make create shape
    poieo

It is not good for Christianity, to keep saying that Christians commit these terrible sins all the time. It is a downfall to God's church.

Pastor Bob, you gave the best answer of all anyway, except for the poieo. You stated when we find out its sin, a Christian ceases. That is true. I just find it hard for a Christian to "sin" and not know its sin from getgo.
    BBob,

#97 Brother Bob, Aug 14, 2008
  18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

#98 Brother Bob, Aug 14, 2008
  19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A.T. Robertson expounds the very Scripture in 1John 3 that you have problems with. He is speaking about the Scripture from the Greek.
    If we cannot use the Greek NT, which is the original language that Christ and the Apostles spoke in, the language that God inspired our NT, then how do you expect to get proper understanding?
    I have tried to give you this understanding of "habitual" before from my own understanding of the Greek. But you didn't accept it then. So now I quote a person who has a better knowledge of the Greek that I. You still don't accept it. Bob you simply don't have any excuse to dismiss this matter any longer. It is there. It is in the Greek, from which our KJV comes from (as well as other translations). You need to humbly accept it.

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mat 25:44Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Mat 25:45Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.

Mat 25:46And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

You said not visiting the sick is a sin NOT unto death. Jesus said they will go to everlasting punishment. How do you reconcile?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.