1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Christian sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by steaver, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I accept the scripture in Greek, where is it.

BBob,

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I strive for I want to please Jesus and I have Jesus for my example, but I also know that only Jesus loves with perfection. I know as I fail Jesus will pick me up and teach me more and more how to be a better person who loves more and more, never perfect until I leave this body of death.

Do you love with perfection BBob? Or do you miss the mark sometimes? Maybe you are as perfect in loving as Jesus is? Should I watch your life and love as you love? When people who know you see your love do they say "he is perfect in expressing love, just like Jesus"? Would your wife say that your love is equal to the love of Christ each and every moment of each day? That you demonstrate perfect love in every situation life throws at you each day?

My love for Jesus falls short of perfection. Is your love for the Father equal to Jesus' love for the Father?

:jesus:

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I would hope so, scripture says for her to love me as Christ loved the church. likewise, for me to love her as Christ loved the church.

Did you go to the nursing home today to visit the sick, or hopital or their homes? If not, you have broken the Law according to you and except you repent, God help you.

BBob,

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do we have to go every day, every moment, or just when we are prompted by the Holy Spirit or have a need cross our path? Or shuld we seek the sick out? Every moment of every day?

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Depends on how close to God you want to walk, now doesn't it. No, I don't go everyday myself, but am busy with services, funerals and the sick. I have a funeral Sunday to take care of.
    Plus a lot depends on your own health.

BBob,

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    BBob, could you answer post #100 when you get a chance? Thanks!

:godisgood:

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: To the contrary Pastor. Lying has been clearly shown to be sin in Scripture. What on earth can you be talking about with this 'cease that practice' comment?

According to your fellow moderator DHK, we are all sinners and liars. How is that not practicing sin?? How many times a day, week or month does a person have to commit the same sins to be seen as practicing, or not practicing, sin? When a person is guilty of sinning every day in thought word and deed, it would seem to me that there would be a whole lot of repetition going on, commonly known as ‘practicing sin,’ would there not?

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It seems you disagree with every interpretation given for "cannot sin". What is your view on what the verse is teaching?

BBob says it means a Christian cannot sin any sin that transgresses the law (which actually is all sin, but he doesn't think so) , so does this mean you agree with BBob's teaching on this verse? I know you gave a testimony of a Christian you know who actually did commit a sin that transgressed the law, so what say you about this verse?

God bless!

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: There have been many verses mentioned. Which verse exactly are you asking about?

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The one you responded to?? :wavey:

11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That link I gave you was an exposition of Scripture from 1John 3. It was right there and you rejected it.
    1John 3:9 to be specific.

#111 DHK, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Did you do this today Bob, or have you broken God's law?

13. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They died in that condition.

BBob,

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I have to go in for surgery myself DHK; I think God will overlook me until I get better. I have to preach a funeral Sunday, but the brothers will take care of me and not put to heavy of a load on me. With the help of the Good Lord, I will make it.

I did visit some sick folks today though DHK, did you??

BBob

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What condition is that?

16. Heavenly Pilgrim

1Jo 3:9Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

HP: First this verse is simply speaking in common parlance, and is not establishing any absolute impossibility to sin. It uses the word ‘cannot’ in the same sense as I might use it in saying "I cannot do the things I used to." It is not that it is an impossibility for me to do as I once did, but rather my will is fixed on obedient behavior inconsistent with those old habits and places I used to do and go into.

Scripture is a book written in common parlance for the most part. One must exercise caution in their interpretation of verses such as the one in question, lest ‘absolutes,’ such as might be mistakenly placed upon words such as ‘cannot,’ land one in a theological pickle of ones own making.

The least that can be said of this verse is that the believer should sin so little that it can rightfully be said of him that he does not sin.

#116 Heavenly Pilgrim, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008
  17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okay, thanks for answering. But don't you think that the verse about "he that is within you is stronger" is referring to the Holy Spirit and "he that is in the world" is Satan?

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

But you say over and over, along with many others, that Christians do sin and sin and sin until they die. That would make them all "habitual sinners" according to your definition, so they are all lost, for you say they do continue to sin. Some says they sin ever day, if that is not "habitual" , then what is??

You say that all Christians are liars, scripture says liars are going to LoF, so all men are lost again, for according to you, they lie over and over, which makes them guilty of all the Commandments. So you are saying that all Christians are "habitual" adulterers, killers, liars, theives, a terrible lot we are, according to you and its all "habitual" for we never quit, until we die.

Terrible doctrine to teach others. You said if we sin 10 3/4 times then we are habitual sinners. Well, if we sin daily, it don't take long to reach that, so all Christians are "habitual" sinners. Steaver believes that also along with the others. I do not.

I believe the "steps of a good man, are ordered of the Lord", and Christians are Christlike, not habitual sinners as you believe.

BBob,

19. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Therein lies my affinity to what you believe and binds us together as fellow believers. :thumbs: In spite of our differences, you could not have said it better. May it be so in our lives and the lives of others on this list with the help of the Holy Spirit, in spite of their teaching to the contrary.

Why is it when being made free from sin should be the watchword of our lives as believers, we spend so much time trying to paint pictures of the contrary on so many occasions? It is if we are trying to make sin our watchword, our constant hope and practice, instead of holiness and purity. Humility is one thing, but denying the power of God in our lives to influence us to consistent godly behavior as believers in love with God is quite another. Certainly we should all give earnest heed to the following verse. 2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
    There is not a just man upon earth who knows to do good, and doeth it not.
    There is none righteousness; no not one.
    All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.
    1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1 John 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
    2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
    Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
    Matthew 12:37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

We are sinners Bob. We sin, every day.
    Is it possible to "bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" every moment of every day?
    Is it possible not to speak a single "idle word" in a day?
    Not even a just man who knows to do good, can keep doing it.

It is a fact of life. We sin. We can't help it. We have a sin nature. And if your truthful about it you enjoy your sin. (gluttony, coveting, laziness, etc.)
    The Bible states that all men are liars.
    I believe the word "liars" as used in Rev.21:8 is referring to those who live a lifestyle of habitually lying. It is a life-style with them, without ever any remorse or repentance for what they are doing. So also with the other sins that are mentioned in that verse. A person who commits one of those sins one time will not end up in the LoF because of it, unless they are unsaved. Even then one goes to the lake of fire, because they are unsaved, not because they are a liar.
    A Christian is one who has trusted Christ, and the Holy Spirit dwells within Him, changing him day by day. I have never said that a Christian can be a habitual adulterer. You falsely misrepresent me. In fact this is exactly what IJohn 3:9 is speaking about--habitual sinners or lifestyles.
    The 10 3/4 was rather tongue-in-cheek Bob. I was hoping you would catch that. I am trusting that you have observed human nature long enough to answer this question on your own. Who has a habitual lifestyle of sin, and who does not? Who is genuinely trying to change, and who is not? Who is pretending to be a Christian and who is not?
    I believe the "steps of a good man, are ordered of the Lord", and Christians are Christlike, not habitual sinners as you believe.
    BBob,[/quote]
    You are putting words in my mouth. I never said that Bob.
    You are suggesting that Christians are perfect--entire sanctification.
    I never suggested that sinners are habitual sinners.
    If you had read the link that I gave you, it says the exact opposite. Why don't you read the information I give you instead of lying about me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.