1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can a church avoid theology but only teach the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 15, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are churches out there that dodge controversial issues, dodge all of Mac's controversial books (Gospel According to Jesus, Hard to Believe, Strange Fire, etc..) but will teach his biblical exposition books and commentaries. Also these churches will focus much on discipleship (a good thing) but be very seeker-friendly in their evangelism and church philosophy. Not saying these churches are doing it wrong in every area, but I just do not believe its biblical to dodge controversial subjects and theology. The Bible and studying it is our main focus, but studying it in depth will detail controversial issues in the church. A church can spend all its time studying the book of Acts, but hardly touch on the book of Romans.

#1 evangelist6589, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If you teach the Bible, you ARE teaching theology. It might not be solid theology and it might not be complete but when we teach the Word, we teach theology.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theology is themes. Biblical Theology is not the same as systematic theology. A church can teach verse by verse through a passage, but completely avoid the theology concepts & themes of the scripture. For example the theme of SIN, and the LORDSHIP of Christ can be avoided.

4. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Believe it or not, there are churches that go decades without mentioning John MacArthur at all. That doesn't make the church the Artful Dodger avoiding difficult subjects. We're in week 6 of a 10 week study on David's adultery with Bathsheba and Nathan coming to David in II Samuel 12.

.... and not a single citation from "Mac".

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And by the same token, systematically speaking, a church can revolve around it's pet concepts and themes such as the gifts of the spirit, baptism, and/or the law ...

...and important themes like sin and the Lordship of Christ can be avoided all together.

I don't see one way of approaching theology as better than the other.

Of course we need to deeply delve into all doctrines of the Bible - classifying separate passages together to understand all of what the Bible has to say about a particular doctrine.

We also need to understand the chronological and historical placement of these doctrines and how they relate to each other as a whole unit.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ".... and not a single citation from "Mac". " Uh! How unspiritual you are!!!!!! "Mac" -- first thing into my mind is mac n cheese.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If a pastor faithfully preaches expositionally through the Word of God he will not miss any doctrines (including related themes such as strange fire). It is all there. Faithfulness to the Word is what is essential.

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you are correct.

Let's use the accepted definition of "theology". This shows you are correct.

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You can't even read the biblical text out loud without encountering theology.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not know what you are talking about.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You missed the entire point. I mean mentioning the issues he fights for such as LORDSHIP Salvation.

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen!!! Many preach but skip around controversial subjects to avoid offense. My last church was very seeker friendly in their approach minus the music.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen it happen a number of times. A church will skip around LORDSHIP, sin, hell, and the depravity of man. I am sure you do it all the time. Judging by the way you post here on this board I would guess so.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not in the Bible that I read! It's kind of hard to avoid those topics when you're teaching the Word of God.

Theology is the study of God. It's not "themes".

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

A hearty AMEN to that my Bother!!:thumbsup:

While probably all pastors/preachers have what we might call "his own style" of presenting his messages to his congregation, if, as DHK mentioned, he is faithful in conveying God's Word, he will invariably encounter "doctrine."

Although he may not call it as such, "doctrine(s)" will, as an end result, show up.

In my almost 50 years as a born-again Christian, I've had the privilege of sitting under the ministries of about 10 men who were or now are my Pastor.

While some tended to be more "topical" in their individual sermons, others were more "straight expository" in their messages.

From time to time, I've heard some preachers who did have certain "hobby-horses," but I tend to shy away from those kind of "ministers(?)."

The church of which I'm currently a member -- Lighthouse Christian Fellowship ( www.lighthouseministries.org ) -- is one that has several "preaching Elders," and, as a consequence, we're blessed with a variety of "preaching styles."

Anyone who takes the time to regularly attend our services here at LCF for any length of time is certain to receive "The Whole Counsel of God" regardless if it's presented strictly as "Doctrine"!

16. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lordship, Discipleship, Jesus difficult teaching on how we should treat each other, just about any teaching on the possible personal or material cost of being a Christian all these are avoided by many, especially fundamentalists. I have noticed that Paul is quoted often, Jesus not so often. I have also noticed on this BB that when the teachings of Jesus are brought out that some become quite upset.

I'll duck now.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with Rev, you seem to making a distinction without a difference. If you avoid the hard parts of scripture, even when approaching a difficult text or passage, then you are by definition not actually teaching the whole of scripture.

Is it possible to cherry pick from the bible and avoid so of the more controversial texts? Sure, but you aren't teaching the whole of scripture which should be the goal and is the responsibility of a pastor. Is that what you're talking about?

Don't use MacArthur for much. Not Calvinist, not dispensational, not a complete cessionist, etc....

I don't know what you mean when you use the words Lordship salvation. If it relates to the whole controversy that came down some twenty years ago, add that to the "not" list.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for them! Churches should be about equipping the saints to reach the lost, sanctifying the brethren, teaching believers how to walk in the spirit and exhibit the fruit of the spirit, how to be disciples, etc. This would be my definition of lordship. I'm certain your hero MacArthur has a different definition.

Believers don't need to hear about total depravity, sin, hell, on a constant basis.

19. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean Mac's version of Lordship, that's a near-heretical blight upon Christianity. He ought to be ashamed of himself, and his "Works To You" radio broadcast should be condemned by a council somewhere.

Why should "sin and hell" be preached incessantly to a group of professing believers? So they can laugh at the fate of the supposed non-elect?

If you mean "Total Depravity" as in Reformed philosophy, same indictment. Unscriptural to the core, and it's a shame that many hold to it on an intellectual level, then deny it in a practical sense as it would necessarily apply to Christ (who was made like us in all things), age of accountability (back door around faith), and other important areas which should be studied instead of "reasoned"

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup::thumbsup: Absolutely.