1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a Pentecostal Lead a Baptist to Christ ?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tomana, Nov 7, 2012.

1. tomana

tomana Member

I came across a Fundamentalist (Reformed) Baptist named David Cloud (Way of Life Ministries) and I found his document, "Pentecostal/Charismatic Movement: the History and the Error" to be quite a thoroughly investigated piece of work. I then read that David said he was led to Christ by a Pentecostal evangelist. If the Pentecostal movement is not of the Lord Jesus Christ, how could that man who led David to the Lord have had the Holy Spirit?

It makes no sense to me at this time, that a Pentecostal can have mighty power from the Holy Spirit and yet, the movement itself is not of the Lord?

#1 tomana, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The "power" of salvation is not in any preacher but in the gospel (1 Cor. 1:17-18; Romans 1:16-17).

There have been lost preachers who were brought under conviction and saved by what they were preaching. The power is not in any man but in the gospel of Christ when it is energized by the Holy Spirit.

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

We are all saved despite ourselves, and despite the people around us.

Mat 16:15 He *said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"
    Mat 16:16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
    Mat 16:17 And Jesus said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. (NASB)

Let's face it, we're all human. We may fumble through a Gospel presentation but nothing convicts like the Spirit. I can no more force you to see the truth than I can turn an elm tree into a pine tree. The Spirit alone gives us eyes to see and ears to hear.

There is no telling who or what God will use to get through to His chosen people but I do know it will be the truth of Word and not the power of the man.

As to your bigger question, can God use ungodly things to bring us to the point of repentance? Yes, I believe He does. How many addicts and drunks have found themselves knocked to their knees by withdrawal or their spouse finally walking out on them? How many people have come to faith after surviving horrific accidents or attacks? Or troops on the battlefield?

God will hold false teachers accountable. That does not mean He won't use them to enact His perfect will.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's one that tops the OP:

On the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International's 'Proclaim & Defend' website, Dr. Dave Sproul admits:

"I was saved under the preaching of a Free Methodist woman evangelist."

:eek:

5. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Any christian can be influentual in the new birth of a new christian'

When I was lost all kinds of christians shared with me.

I pretty much have a policy of paying no atention to what "flavor" of christian someone is, excepting the obvious cultic/heretical groups.

7. Alive in Christ

Praise the Lord for that sister evangelist!

#7 Alive in Christ, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2012
  8. billwald

billwald New Member

Dutch Reformed tradition (NOT OPC tradition) is that truth is where you find it and the Holy Spirit can regenerate any person she chooses (As John 3 teaches) "in" Christ Jesus.

Baptists don't believe that there is power in the Scriptures even if quoted by an unregenerate person? Even the Catholics have more faith in the Holy Spirit than Baptists?

9. tomana

tomana Member

I didn't realize the holy Spirit was a "she". Where is that found in the bible?

10. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came from AOG church, and would say that many ministers in that church are indeed saved by grace of God, and have the real Gospel once you wade thru their misunderstandings regarding the Holy Spirit!

I tend to see 2 different groups here, as pentacostalists such as AOG are more akin to Biblical christianity than word of faith/modern day restoration etc monemnets!

11. billwald

billwald New Member

>I didn't realize the holy Spirit was a "she". Where is that found in the bible?

Proverbs. Wisdom is fem. This is a long standing interpretation by the people who first published and edited the book.

12. Alive in Christ

I recall Christ Himself saying...