1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can a person be a Liar and

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by SaggyWoman, Mar 13, 2015.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Apologoes for being sharp. It just hit me the wrong way

2. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Santa Claus is an example of a lie some Christians tell to kids to make the Holiday more "enjoyable". Its weird how it seems we lie to ones we love the most.
    I think in regards to a liar being a Christian, much like Evan said. All Christians are sinner. It is what we do with our guilt(sin) that makes us different than other liars or sinners. I think it is very possible for someone who struggles with lying to be a Christian. Through God they should seek strength to fight against their sinful nature. We struggle with sin all the time. Sometimes lust, sometimes lying, sometimes we hate our neighbor,etc.... Everyone stumles ....some stumble more often or more visibly than other Christians.

3. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its bound to happen. Although Evan, I think, would be shocked at how much he agrees with me on.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Deception has become a way of life. Well, maybe it's always been a way of life, but I tend to believe people practice more deception to at then when I was younger. And while it is a sin, and can be forgiven, those who continue to go to the well of absolution may not be a believer any who? So, let's discuss those who practice deception as a way of life, and yes they even exist in the church .....

There was a time when a handshake was a man's bond. Today that doesn't seem to always be the case. And unfortunately that deceptive lifestyle has made its way into the church. Too many people are not who or what they present themselves to be, and I'm sure that is true even in this forum. Without the ability to look into another's face and eyes, we have to take the avatar at the end of cyber space to be and what they present themselves to be.

I guess what I'm saying is that your question is excellent and very timely, but even though we are told or asked to believe in another person's honesty, you and I will never know if that person is a liar or not. And I actually agree with Evan as well as Icon..

All we can do is live by faith in each other, or we will grow cynical and even paranoid. I totally rely on the truths of 1 Cor. 4:5 and Romans 2:16, trusting that God will separate the good from the bad, the truth speakers from the deceivers and the wheat from the tares when He judges the secrets of a man's heart. And while some may think they got away with their lie .... the truth is one day it comes back to bite the liar in his heart.

Sometimes, via the gift of discernment will spare us in this life, but no matter what, those who practice the art of deception will one day be revealed for who they were and what lies they spread and lived by. :wavey:

#24 righteousdude2, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
  5. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that person is born from above, then yes, the Holy Spirit will chastise or kill, and do whatever it takes to bring them into Paradise, remember, Jesus said He would not lose one of His sheep.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not read this thread, so sorry if any of this is redundant.

Someone once said, Man has little to fear of what men do in the name of evil, but God help us from what men do in the name of good.

Lying for a good cause. :) Anyone can build an "enabling scenario" where giving others the wrong impression out of kindness and love seems sound. But it is the ends justifies the means lie of Satan.

Paul actually addressed this behavior, and said may it never be!

But can we actually reach the conclusion that those who habitually lie to defend what they believe is truth, are unsaved? Again, we have the lesson of Eve, who was deceived. So I believe Christians, unstudied to be sure, can habitually sin - lie (out of kindness and love and so forth) and be born anew believers in Christ.

7. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our depravity is so great, it blinds us from seeing how truly sinfully vile we really are compared to our Holy YHWH. Thankfully we don't see it all, otherwise we all would be in so much agony we would commit suicide.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personal opinions are fine, we all have them.

The purpose, at least one of them, of our indwelt Helper is to convict us of our sin.

9. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Billions of opinions are useless and baseless if they can't be backed with scripture.

If we were exposed as John was for a long period of time we would be useless.

Rev 1:17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The fact John bowed as low as possible before Jesus does not demonstrate your opinion.

No verse or passage says or suggests we would commit physical suicide if we were aware of the full depravity of our sin. It is a fiction.

Spiritually of course our repentance includes a commitment to put to death our connection with the world. Which of course includes an awareness of its deep tentacles.

Someone once said, Man has little to fear of what men do in the name of evil, but God help us from what men do in the name of good.

Lying for a good cause. Anyone can build an "enabling scenario" where giving others the wrong impression out of kindness and love seems sound. But it is the ends justifies the means lie of Satan.

Paul actually addressed this behavior, and said may it never be!

But can we actually reach the conclusion that those who habitually lie to defend what they believe is truth, are unsaved? Again, we have the lesson of Eve, who was deceived. So I believe Christians, unstudied to be sure, can habitually sin - lie (out of kindness and love and so forth) and be born anew believers in Christ.

11. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All Christians and all heathens are liars, we are all liars. That's why we need a Savior, we can't attain to 100% perfection, God will settle for nothing less than 100% perfection, He will not wink at one single sin.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Corinthians 6:9-11
    Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

I think liars fit in here as well. Some of us were liars, but we were washed, sanctified, and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

13. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I must have misunderstood the question.

14. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, please explain this statement in light of 1 John 1:8-9 which was written to believers.

15. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but we are all still liars, but not habitual liars, in other words, we all do sin and repent, and I guarantee we all will have unrepentant sin when we die, because we don't see all our sin, our ONLY hope will be in our beloved Jesus the Lamb of God.

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My thoughts.

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. Heb 8:10-12 KJV

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see what you are saying. My thoughts, however, are that when we call someone a “liar” then we are defining them by their sin while a Christian is defined by Christ. So I’d say that we were once liars, drunkards, etc. Now we are sanctified. I don’t see how it can be both ways (how we can be defined by our sin and still be sanctified and justified), even though we do still struggle with sin.

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Certainly......Christians can and do sin.When they commit any sin they are to repent and forsake whatever sin was commited.

That being said....a person who is saved cannot habitually practice sin to the extent that he is characterized by that sin.

there is deacon Smith the adulterer....or liar....or murderer.

Romans 6 16-18.......1jn3:8.....1 cor 6 9-12.....such were some of you.....but ye are washed.

19. Robert William

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because we are forgiven does not make us perfect persons, we still remain monsters in comparison to a Holy YHWH.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a lawbreaker, it's habitual.

I'd say it happens daily, sometimes many times a day.

Oh, but I'm better than most.

I'd say self-righteously, that I wouldn't be characterized by my sin; I hide it well.

I rarely confess my sin; it doesn't bother me too much.

AM I SAVED???

Oh, my sin is going faster than the local speed limit.

Does the manner or type of sin matter?
    Does the number of times you do it matter?
    How many times do I have to sin before the blood of Christ becomes ineffective?

Rob