1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can a third party ...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by exscentric, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Perot wasn't a member of a party, IIRC. Actually, it's a good example of the failure of third parties, given the fact that Perot didn't come close to winning. And I'm one of those who voted for Perot, even though I knew he wouldn't win. The 1992 election was a huge exception, and not the rule, consistent with the notion that even a broken watch will be right twice a day. Notice that Perot was barely a blip in the radar when he made his next attempt at running.

2. Twizzler

Twizzler Member

You're right... partially. :)

The fact that he received 20k votes even after pulling out of the race was a message to the republican party. Hopefully they'll listen. The number of votes though was paltry... 1/20 of 1% of the number of votes that McCain received. Not really news-worthy in the grand scheme of things in my opinion.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The real problem IMO is the media (except for Fox News and the right wing talk shows) which is overwhelmingly LEFT.

"We the sheep" go willingly into their pink pastures and follow the shepherds they endorse.

HankD

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And thats the way it should be!

Its funny, though, Saturn (post # 19) wants nothing to do with the Republican Party unless its for his benefit.

Thats like never attending a church service because you don't like the pastor, until you go to a special business meeting which was called to boot out said pastor.

#24 Salty, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2009
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Well, I have been going to one church for 32 years with no problems. Yes, when a conservative like Rand Paul runs, I will vote for him. That does not mean I am going to keep my membership in a party that has over and over proclaimed itself liberal by its actions. Unlike your state, we elect conservative candidates regardless of party. Your state elects basically nothing but liberals. That Republican-Conservative fusion ballot is really doing a great job.

You claim to be politcally involved, but from your statement above, you seem to be more interested in party loyalty than the good of this nation and returing to a Constitutional government. That is called being an apologist. Your comparison of a corrupt political system with a house of the Lord is very inappropriate.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that was the case, than, I would have voted a straight "Row D" ballot. However, that was NOT the case.
    Overall, the Conservative Party puts up good candidates, but if a liberal sneaks by, I do not vote for him.
    By being involved in the Party, I actually help select who will be on the ballot.

7. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good point but fortunately, this board doesn't really reflect the Christian community very well.

The only starting point for this necessary step is to force term limits, whatever the cost.

Sadly, there is not a lot (but some) of gleaning to be accomplished in this segment. They don't care.

The only one I know that is nationally known and has an enormous power base is James Dobson. He is respected in the Christian community, has a huge voice, and is willing to do his part.. I know he has only some support on this forum, but I think he could go a long way in establishing a third party.

But having said that, I believe retaking, remaking the Republican Party is the way to go.. Work hard to eliminate liberals, and most importantly, all moderates.. By 2012 we could have a conservative party, perhaps. Term limits....

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. billwald

billwald New Member

Does anyone expect Congress to impose term limits on themselves?

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO - thats why self-imposed term limits are ineffective.

We need laws to pass for term limits. I would say no more than 4 terms in the house.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We already have term limits nationwide by law. A House member is limited to a two year term. A Senate member is limited to a six year term.

After that the process is handled by an election in which whomever the voters select will serve the next term in the House or Senate.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO, NO, NO!!!

Term limits means you may only run for office a certain amount of times. Federally, only the POTUS has term limits (two terms).

The problem with the lack of term limits is two fold.
    1. Incumbents often win - some 80 - 90 % of the time
    2. Congress has evolved into a seniority system.

I suppose a State or Commownealth could impose term limits on their congressman, but due to the senority system, they would be behind the eight ball.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Term limits are handled via elections. If the voters don't take advantage of the constitutional process already in existence to change their servants in public office that is their fault if they are not being served adequately.

14. billwald

billwald New Member

The Constitution give Congress control over their own elections. Term limits can only be imposed by a vote of congress or a constitutional convention . . . or another revolution.

15. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

If a third party ever wins the Presidency in my lifetime, I will send the next ten posters a ten spot.

After I am dead, all bets are off.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be careful,
    Remember, that Abe Lincoln won on a third party - twice - and they were both different parties

17. Magnetic Poles

Yep. But the good news is that by the time it happens, if it does, that ten spot won't be worth much. :)

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They aren't worth anything after all the debt Obama is running up. Absolutely worthless

19. Magnetic Poles

In that case, send me yours! :thumbsup: