1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can An Arminian Be OSAS?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are actually the one blaspheming. You're mistaking mental mis-activity as the Holy Spirit and claiming it to direct you somewhere the Scriptures don't.

2. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right YOU don't understand what it means to be born-again.

3. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are an Arminian in denial. If one doesn't believe in unconditional election then they agree with the Arminian position on election. If one doesn't believe in original sin and total inability then they agree with the Arminian position on man's fallen condition. If one doesn't believe in particular redemption than they agree with the Arminian position on unlimited atonement. It's kind of like what Rippon said, it's either one or the other.

BB is the only place where Arminians deny being Arminians and dispensationalists deny being dispensationalist. It's easy to have debate on substance when everyone is at least knowledgeable of and honest with their position. I appreciate those Arminians who at least stand on their position more than those who play theological gymnastics.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't these scriptures and Jeremiah 31:33 say he already has?... How can any one serve God unless they are born again?... Brother Glen

Ezekiel 11:19 And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

11:20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.

5. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From another thread...

And I will be just completely honest. I cannot clearly see Total Depravity in the scriptures.

IF God caused unbelief on the hearers, why On Earth did Jesus *marvel* at their *unbelief*

Mark 6:6 And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry brother, but those scriptures DO NOT talk about OT saints such as Abraham being born again.

7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And once again, I do not follow Jacobus or John, I follow Jesus and His Holy Spirit and His HOLY Word

8. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So brother what do you believe John 6:44 means?

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let's take it in context...

John 6:44-45 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Vs. 45 implies that there is no determined persons that will hear, only that those who listen will come to Christ.

We see that the Gospel Preached causes us to Hear God

1 Peter 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

And here...

John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

And to quantify "all men" would be doing the scriptures a disservice.

And not to mention the times where Scriptures beckon us NOT to harden our hearts...why would God waste His breath on saying that to a totally depraved person.

10. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So are you saying that all men have been drawn? If so then you would have to believe in universalism. Jesus said (in John 6:44) that everyone that has been drawn He will give them life at the last day. And if you don't believe God has drawn all men then you would have to quantify "all men".

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Resisting...and hardening hearts...happen

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Going to bed. I also have a full time secular job

Peace and blessings be multiplied

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As someone who would describe himself as a Non-Gillite Calvinist which in some peoples opinion makes me an Arminian, I base the security of my relationship with God on (in no particular order) at least these points:
    1. I view myself as being included as one of the any and no man. IOW, I can't pluck myself out of the hand of the Father.
    2. I have been bought and God has no return window to get the purchase price back. Further, God knew what He was buying both my past and future. So, He has no buyer's remorse
    3. I didn't do anything to be saved, thus I can't do anything to get unsaved.

All of the above presupposes I was genuinely saved in the first place.

14. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely agree with eternal security.

On a sidenote, the Non-Gillite term was funny to me. Gill was (at least to me a hardline Calvinist...borderline hyper). I wouldn't even consider myself a "Gillite" type.

15. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does it matter if we resist. The word if the Father draws someone Jesus will raise them up on the last day...not raise them up on the last day if they don't resist.

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term is non-standard. But in the 1790s, the Particular Baptists split between the Gillites and the Fullerites. Carey was a Fullerite. His critics basically said, "God doesn't need our help to evangelize the heathen [speaking of the Indian sub-continent]."

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another point...

Why did Jesus Speak in parables if they the non elect couldn't hear spiritual truth?

And then those who would follow Him and could discern truth, asked Him to explain....

18. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother Jon,

So you think all the Old Testament saints died with a stony heart and God did not give them a new heart, also that they did not walk in God's statutes, and God did not put His spirit in them? These three things are all things the Eze 36 passage states God does.

Did God create a new heart in Old Testament saints? Yes- "Create in me a clean heart, O God" (Psalm 51:10) Did they walk in God's statutes? "I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly." (Psalm 119:8). Did they have God's Holy Spirit in them? "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me." (Psalm 51:11). Aren't all these three things the exact things Eze 36 talked about- a new heart, causing His people to walk in His statutes, and giving the His spirit? Further, as the Bible tells us there were Old Testament saints walking in God's statutes, then Eze 36 says talks of God giving His spirit and a new heart to cause His people to walk in His statutes, why would all this even be necessary for God to do as something "new" in the New Testament if the Old Testament saints did not have a new heart or God's spirit in them (as you contend) and yet could themselves walk in His statutes without God causing them to?

God bless,

Brother Joe

19. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother Jon,

Now that I answered your questions in my prior posts. Here are questions for you to answer that I posed to Brother Steaver who has a similar belief to yours in that he does not believe people prior to the cross were born again (he did not answer my questions, hopefully you will)-If people prior to the cross were not "born again" how did John the Baptist have the Holy Ghost from his mother's womb? Also, why did Jesus tell Nicodemus, "Ye must be born again" (John 3:7) prior to the cross. Moreover, if people weren't born again prior to Acts why did Jesus also tell Nicodemus, "8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit." (John 3:8)? If you were correct and people weren't born again till after the cross, shouldn't Jesus have said "so is every one that will be born of the Spirit", but rather he put in the present tense and said, "so is every one that is born of the Spirit"? All of this proves that even Old Testament saints were born again.

20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mark 2:21-22 No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.
    And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.