1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can An Arminian Be OSAS?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes brother, I have. Total Inability would be more accurate.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Lol. No the point is many here say they are not Calvinist but believe in the five points of TULIP.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well brother, you have all the solid arguments against Calvinism. But once one is turned over I have never heard of one coming to their senses. I feel quite confident going into my JSoC. Wouldnt it be strange for Jesus to command everyone repent if He knew full well they could not? Such a strange doctrine this man Calvin created.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...

You feel confident so much that you even abbreviate this glorious event. This is something the apostle spoke of as 'terror' or as in fearing the Lord. Your attitude is contrary to Scriptural fear of the Lord, the context of this event and is noted.

Furthermore God has commanded things throughout Scriptures that man cannot accomplish. This isn't uncommon, but I sincerely hope your cavalier attitude about this judgment is very uncommon and hope to never see it again. Frankly it's disgraceful friend.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I had forgotten to identify the above quote. Charles Spurgeon said it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How generous of you to allow God to be God. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who?

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i'm not opposed to that "thought"....come on man

9. Internet Theologian

JonShaff, you really find steaver's post maligning brothers as never coming to their senses, friendly? The cavalier attitude toward the Judgment Seat?

You're better than that brother!

10. Internet Theologian

Brother, I am sorry, but that is not what Total Depravity is all about. :)

11. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose I don't know what the friendly means? I was kinda thanking him for his kudos for defending my position

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

12. Internet Theologian

My fault, I didn't explain, you marked his post 'friendly' after he slandered brothers and showed a cavalier attitude toward the Judgment Seat...

13. BrotherJoseph

BrotherJoseph Well-Known Member

Brother,

I know total depravity is true for three reasons. The first is because I know of the warfare in me that Paul describes in Romans 7. God shows me daily the depravity of my flesh. If it weren't for him and his restraining grace I would commit all kinds of sin. The thoughts that go through my head attest to the doctrine of total depravity.

The second reason I know the doctrine of total depravity is true is from the testimony of history and the state of the world. Just look for example at Hitler and what the German people did to a hold race of people in Nazi Germany during World War 2 or look at the actions of men like Jeffrey Dahmer. How many people died in the century of World War 1 and 2 alone just from the wars?

I will give you the third and most important reason I believe the doctrine of total depravity to be true in my next post.

By the way brother, as you said don't believe man is totally depraved, what do you believe his state is at birth, part good/part evil, neutral at birth like a blank slate, good?

Brother Joe

14. BrotherJoseph

Brother Jon,

The third, and most important reason I know total depravity is true is because it is taught in my Bible from cover to cover. This alone suffices for me.

"Theheart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9)

"For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not." (Romans 7:18)

"Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." (Romans 8:7)

"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh" (Colossians 2:13) A dead man can do nothing.

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them (total inability), because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:14)

"And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." (Genesis 6:5) Be not deceived brother, you inherited the same nature these people back in Genesis 6 did from Adam.

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away" (Isaiah 64:6) Interestingly if you study the original Hebrew for this verse that says our righteousness is "as filthy rags" it literally means a woman's menstrual cloth, how much more depraved or sick can one get than that? The Hebrew word is "ed", is used only one time in the Old Testament and per Strong's Exhaustive Concordance it says, "From an unused root meaning to set a period (compare adah, uwd); the menstrual flux (as periodical); by implication (in plural) soiling -- filthy" See http://biblehub.com/hebrew/5708.htm

"5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me." (Psalm 51:5)

"there is none that seeketh after God." (Romans 3:11) Total inability illustrated.

I could give countless additional verses, but those given will suffice as this post is too long already.
    I can prove total depravity from scripture, but only the Holy Spirit can reveal it to a person. If this weren't true, it couldn't be said our flesh is totally depraved.

God bless,

Brother Joe

15. BrotherJoseph

Brother Jon,

Fair enough I will leave it at that brother! I read this post after I already composed the two posts I made prior to this, had I seen this first I wouldn't have debated you further.

16. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being really wicked and being "unable to respond to God, " to me, are not the same thing. But I digress. May the Lord bless and keep you and cause His face to shine upon you!!!

17. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea...I didn't know how to use the icon. I was just saying thanks for the kudos...I didn't really mean for it to be applied to anything else. Sorry brother

18. Internet Theologian

Thanks brother, I am of the opinion all sides should be held accountable. The cavalier attitude toward judgment tells me a lot about this person, it is very disgraceful, shameful and much much more...

19. BrotherJoseph

You too brother Jon!

20. BrotherJoseph

Brother Steaver,

There is a difference in the reason why I say I am not a "calvinist' and you say you are not an Arminian. The reason you say you are not an Arminian is because you do not agree with all of the founder's main doctrinal points. I do agree with the five points of grace (often referred to as the "five points of Calvinism"), but the reason I reject being labeled a "Calvinist" is because the term implies the teachings originated with Calvin, not the Bible, and also because it implies the one accepting the label is a follower of Calvin, rather than a follower of the Bible and Christ. Many who wish to insult the doctrine I believe in like to use the term "Hyper-Calvinist" because I believe the great commission was specifically to the apostles and they fulfilled it, that the gospel is only for the elect, and it is not an "offer". I also object to being labeled a "hyper-Calvinist" because that too implies some type of follower of Calvin, but taken to an extreme beyond which he took it, and it also is almost always used by the person labeling the other person as a derogatory insult.

God bless,

Brother Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.