1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can any instrument be used in Corporate Worship?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by 12strings, Dec 12, 2011.

?
  1. They are all acceptable, given they are used wisely

40 vote(s)
    93.0%
  2. No drums should be used

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. orchestral percussion is ok, but no drum set.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Acoustic guitars are ok, but no electic guitars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No guitars should be used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Piano and organ only should be used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Organs should not be used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No instruments should be used.

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I would totally disagree with your statement. Most hymns were NOT common drinking tunes of the day (even though the national anthem was).

Again there is part truth and part error. The contention revolving about the use of modern music isn't the tunes, the instruments, the "beat." It is the same issue in which Phillip Bliss was concerned. The issue is how fleshly oriented music is used to replace the Holy Spirit. Musicians and especially those who are "worship leaders" (never liked that term) seem to think that getting emotionally involved and man approval equates to validation and authorization by God. Bliss was highly concerned about the music in his day, and some of us clang the same alarm bell he did.

But this issue DOES matter. It is very relevant and your dismissal of the issue shows, in my opinion, a lack of insight into the dangers music can lead.

Do not ever consider music as benign. If it were, music therapists wouldn't exist and have remarkable success.

Music is not benign and must be used with care and with awareness of all the aspects of how it might or does affect a listener. Both the "performer" and the listener need to be educated in these things.

2. Jason Garrett

Jason Garrett New Member

Aged, you seem very passionate about this subject. Overall, my response to your posting would simply be this: I think this subject matters to you a lot more than it really matters. Are there those out there who look to worship as simply a fix to get an emotional high? Of course. But I have been to pentecostal churches that utilize the old hymns and have seen more tomfoolery in those services that I ever have in my current non-denominational (Baptistic historically), contemporary themed church.

One could make the same arguments you do about many aspects of how we Americans do this thing called church. Me thinks you are passionate about this music issue because you simply do not care for the contemporary style of music. I may be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from you and others on here. If I am right, no harm no foul. Different things appeal to different people, and God has gifted various cultures around the world with various sounds with which they worship. My uncle is a Southern Baptist pastor and he'd probably tell you his mission trips to Africa and the worship services thereof look and sound NOTHING like we are accustomed to here in the States. That doesn't make them wrong, nor does it make the more contemporary among us wrong either.

I'll say it again, eternal ramifications are not contingent upon what style of music one uses to worship their Father. There's only one thing that is contingent upon that, and that is relationship through the accepted sacrifice of Jesus' blood.

3. 12strings

12strings Active Member

4. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

But... Can instrumental music glorify God without singing? I think it can, for God has gifted musicians with the ability to play, and to deny their use of those gifts talents and passions is in a way to dismiss the God who granted them.

When we start attributing an act of creation (such as music) to the enemy then giving him greater credence for that act than God, we err in a way that diminishes the glory of God.

In very simple terms, why should the devil have all the good music?

5. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Guitar player here (and you are obviously NOT a guitar player.)

You do not know what you are talking about.

The melody can be played on any stringed instrument. I do it all the time. I play melody on the acoustic guitar, electric guitar, the dobro and the banjo. The melody can also be played on fiddles, mandolins, dulcimers, and any other stringed instrument.

6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a statement of insight you gave! Would that more would be so discerning.

You mentioned southern gospel music, and I thought I might give you a quick story of contrast.

Once a year, a county seat would hold an "all night gospel sing." We determined to pass out thousands of tracks and to make sure each group was invited to the church the next day.

While walking back stage, a very famous group's female singer said, "Let's go get this *&^^%%$ over with." Within minutes she was on the stage, tears pouring down her checks as she sang with raised hand. When the group returned from their performance slot, the same woman said, " *&^%%, I’m glad we are done."

About two years later, I got to spend some time after an open air gathering with Andre Crouch. As I visited with him, his obvious love for Christ, hope in Him, and concern for the things of Christ were absolutely real. He and I were both disappointed that the cares of this world impinged upon us ending the fellowship of that evening.

It isn’t the elements of music, it is the attention to Christ and the sensitivity to the voice and work of the Spirit that matter.

#46 agedman, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2011
  7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely true! I totally agree!

Not to strain at this statement's intent, but to ask a practical question:

Can mere man ever "diminish the glory of God?"

Can the devil have "good" music? :)

8. 12strings

12strings Active Member

1. I believe the "diminish the glory of God" was meant in the view of those worshiping, not in actually diminishing God's glory.

2. The Devil can have good music, He simply uses it for evil purposes. I have heard that some satanists use pipe organs and Bach's music.

9. Alive in Christ

I'd say just about anything could be used, although the TUBA, BASS DRUM and Accordion might be a bit "iffy". :eek: :laugh:

10. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

The son of one of our members is actually a very talented and respectful drummer. Of course, he is also in his 40's, so there may be a maturity factor in play simply due to age. My 8 year old is learning a bit now, and so far the fear of dad has kept him in control.

That said, we do not use drums often, only when the one ladies son is in town visiting. However, we want to use it more. We have a significant deaf membership and they benefit greatly from the vibrations.

Drums do not have to be obnoxious, but to be fair, any instrument (or even voice) can be obnoxious at times.

11. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

If we're talking about instruments to accompany singing, then a tuba might be "iffy" because its notes are so deep, and a bass drum because it is unpitched, and of no help in giving people even the right note to start the hymn. But why not an accordian?

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I too am quite puzzled by this statement.

Have you never heard the Van Impes?

13. Alive in Christ

Honestly, I am pretty broad minded regarding worship music. I'm fine even with with "hip hop" or rap in a worship service.

But the accordian? I dont know why, but I just cant imagine it working in a worship setting. I dont know why.

And yes, I do know who the Van Impes are. They are not one of my favorite media ministries, but I have seen them. Why? Does he play the accordian?

14. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did he ever. Haven't heard him recently [maybe he got arthritis?] but he used to work that accordeon at his crusades!

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Would a gong be inappropriate for a Joel Osteen service?

16. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Count me as stodgy, I guess.

I like hymns--you know, songs that are about God, not me.

I prefer organs--especially wonderful well played pipe organs, but any instrument can work fine if done well. Apparently young folks love them too, as just last week I ran into a young married couple looking for a church home hoping for a--you guessed it--pipe organ.

But the idea of the praise team just letting her rip--well, I've left a church over that with no regrets.

Now my ears do not ring on Sunday afternoons, Mondays, and Tuesdays.

I'm aging but oddly my hearing is improving since I absented myself from loud church music.

Oh--and yes, my beloved pipe organs can do the same thing playing my beloved hymns.

God can hear a pin drop. Now so can I.

#56 nodak, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

There are just as many hymns in any given hymnal (and more in some) with bad theology as there are praise songs with bad theology. The genre of the music is not the determining factor, but rather, the doctrines held by the particular hymn or song writer.

18. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

True, very true.
    I love some old hymns, but I got to say, there's some songs by Mercy Me, Casting Crowns, and Newsboys (and others) that just express who God is and what Christ has accomplished so well.

BTW, a lady that used to help me by leading the music when I preach at the rescue mission plays the accordion, so did her late husband. The crowd actually appreciated it a bit more than me. :tonofbricks:

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    David, you are aware that you can change the pitch of a bass drum by tightening or loosening the head, right? That's the principle behind a timpani, a "tunable" drum.

20. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Um--just because a song is in a hymnal doesn't make it a hymn, you know!

Some currently written stuff certainly would qualify as hymns, and I tend to love them.

Point was not the content of the songs, but HOW THEY ARE PLAYED.

I can hear.....don't need the music so loud I cannot hear myself singing, or have ringing ears for hours after the service.

Doesn't matter what kind of music it is--praise band or organ, old music or contemporary, I need my ears not to hurt.

I do have the problem others have mentioned as to singability of some of the newer stuff that seems to be written more for performance than for congregational singing.

We do tend to traditional churches as the younger folks in the family like the continuity of singing the same songs my grandparents sung.

Isn't the only right way to do church, but neither are we wrong in what we choose to do.

It is ok to have a variety.