1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can any instrument be used in Corporate Worship?

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by 12strings, Dec 12, 2011.

?
  1. They are all acceptable, given they are used wisely

40 vote(s)
    93.0%
  2. No drums should be used

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. orchestral percussion is ok, but no drum set.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Acoustic guitars are ok, but no electic guitars

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No guitars should be used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Piano and organ only should be used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Organs should not be used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No instruments should be used.

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Yes, Don, I know that timpani (sometimes called kettledrums) are tunable. But a bass drum is not the same thing as a kettledrum, and is not pitched to a particular note like timpani are. I found this site which (if you can see beyond the many typos in the text :)) is helpful. It has an audiovisual example of some playing a bass drum. I don't think you could sing the "note" played by the bass drum!

"The Fine Art of Bass Drumming", an article from Band Fan (Newsletter of the Detroit Concert Band) vol. 17, no. 1 (Winter­/Spring 1994), includes the following:

Tuning the bass drum is not to a particular pitch tone but rather, it is related to the elasticity of the drum head in order to produce the quality of sound desired.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not saying its desirable to use a bass drum this way; not trying to say that the bass drum is an instrument you'd want to use for such a thing. I'm saying it's absolutely possible to treat a bass drum almost like a timpani by either tightening the heads, or applying pressure to one of the heads while playing. We did it all the time in the university band I played with (I majored in percussion instruments; my primary instrument was the marimba).

I guess my reason for focusing on your statement is the sentiment I see towards drums (not necessarily from you, but from a lot of folks both on the board and those I meet/have met in real life). I agree that most "drummers" don't think about melody, and tend to whack their instruments in a manner that's loud and more akin to drunken revilry; but there are some that God has given particular talent to, that can do amazing things with drumsticks, brushes, etc. Yet the first inclination, especially from some of my more independent hyper-fundamentalist baptist brethren, is that drums are evil and should never be used. To which I say, drums are like guns: a tool, to be used for good or evil, not good or evil in themselves.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a favorite instrument of the Salvation Army.

4. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Well, what do ya know. I didnt know that. You learn something new every day.

Thanks! :thumbs:

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL

(can't just type "LOL," have to make sure you have 10 characters....)

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

so what you do is to just keep typing characters that don't mean anything and words that have nothing to do with the topic to fill in the space so that you can post what you want to post - and can post in just three letters.....

:smilewinkgrin:

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I did agree that it is possible to tighten/loosen the heads on a bass drum. My point was that by doing so, you couldn't make the drum play a specific pitch of note, like B flat or C sharp.
    I'm glad you said "not necessarily from you"! In post 51, I certainly was not saying that drums were of necessity "evil"; I only mentioned the bass drum in the context of replying to someone who had said that the tuba, bass drum, and accordion were "a bit iffy". I should say also that I assumed (perhaps wrongly :)) that the words "corporate worship" in the title meant that this thread was about instruments to accompany the singing of the congregation. For that, something or someone is needed to provide the pitch, at least the starting note, otherwise someone could start singing the hymn on B flat, another on F sharp, another on G, and so on. A bass drum wouldn't help, because it is unpitched.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :sleeping_2:

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is not a proper question. Could God create a rock he could not lift?

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

My point is that we are arguing past each other based on subjective likes and dislikes, and also that some are pinning some pretext of doctrine onto the arguments they make. In that case, we are similar to the theologians of the Enlightenment who did in fact debate the question I posed, but who cares? The bigger issue is that people worship God in a manner that is in keeping with Scripture, i.e., worship God not man, and worship God consistent with the way He self-reveals in Scripture, and not what their worship "sounds like" or whether it is "pleasing to some and not others."

We will never likely see eye to eye on "pleasing" and "sounds like" unless we also add "to me" and leave it at that.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you. I have never found Romans 12:1, 2 or James 1:22 to have an ear pleasing (tickling) component.

The older I get the more I see so many things that are not worth dying for. I hate to see young believers around the argumentative who seldom if ever reach anyone. They boast in their ability to argue the finer points. The problem is the people who know see right through them.

12. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

How much "Punk Rock" music can a man endure before going insane?

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Compare your thoughts to the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqdPkDPMCwk

I heard him speak when I was 21 and was never the same again. Everything else I endure is pale in comparison.

14. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

[​IMG]

Seems relevant... :laugh:

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Reminds me of the time my grandmother was about 90 and told us that she hated being around old people because they are always griping. At the time she was older than most old people. :laugh:The one things that characterized her that she was always learning.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That.is.hysterical!!!!!!!!

17. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was looking for a "Like" button. :tongue3:

I have noted that 99% of all praise bands are marginal musicians at best,
    and they don't add to the service, all they do is distract me from worship
    because I want to go take their instruments away and show them how
    to play them right.

LOLOLOLOLOL

When my hubby plays bass and I play guitar, we enhance the
    piano music, not overpower it or detract from it. I am being
    realistic here, not prideful.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wow - 99%?? You guys have some lousy musicians. The guys and gals that we have working with us are amazing musicians. So much so that when my hubby had his team, they didn't rehearse other than the hour before the service and many people showed up for that hour to just worship. :) I think it's important to play with excellence as much as possible. Not that you must be perfect but if the music will distract from the worship, then there is something wrong. If it can become part of the worship, then it's great.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I pastored a church where one of the visitors had played his instrument in the 1997 Superbowl. Eventually he became a believer and expressed at how lazy the musicians were when he was on the music team. He expected to practice until they had it right according to his standards. Eventually he changed his attitude and began doing more to encourage and help.

What would a graduate of Juillard say about your music?

Perhaps you could start some music training like some churches have.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

A friend of mine pastored a church where nobody played the piano or guitar. When I preached there I never came away with such an appreciation for someone who could lead music.

A friend of mine and his wife are both graduates of Juillard. He told me that he had never led the music in a church because he did not want to deal with the politics. His wife sang in the church and at community assemblies.

A friend of mine who came to Christ under my ministry when I was pastoring told me that he thought about being a part of the music team. He had played his instrument at one of the Superbowls. He wrote a lot of music and really enjoyed playing. When he became a part of the music team as a young believer he commented to me at how little the team practiced and how they lacked commitment. After about 2.5 hours they were ready to go home. He was not ready until it was well done according to his standard. He had to be at work by 4:30 and they did not/ I pointed out that not one of them was as good as he was and that for them it was something they enjoyed but it had not become such an important thing to them as it had to him. He changed his attitude and did what he could do to help and encourage.